If not in 3G area, do I turn off 3G to save battery?

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
If you are not in a 3g area and your 3g is set to on, does the phone use the 3g radio or does it revert to the 2g? Meaning, if not in 3g, do you need to turn your 3g off to save battery?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
It would revert to Edge. If 3G isn't being used, there should be no need to turn it off but if you know you won't need it, I'd go ahead and turn it off.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I don't live in a 3G area....I turn it off. I was told to turn it off to save battery life so it's not constantly searching for 3G service. When I go into the city, I switch it to 3G.

I have had some issues with this though. Once, when switching the 3G off, I never got service again. I had to do a complete restore of the phone.

I've *heard* that this problem was resolved with the new update, but I have yet to really see it cause I haven't been to a 3G area since I've updated the phone to 2.0.1

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
By all means, turn it off when you can't take advantage of 3G. FlwrPwer is correct it will eat up your battery attempting to find a 3G signal and you could drop calls if your on EDGE and it goes into it's 3G search mode. Bottom line: don't need it or can't use it, turn it OFF.

24trepid

Silver
Jan 13, 2008
Florida
When I turn my 3G off, I lose service too, for a few minutes. But it does come back.......:cool:

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
When I turn my 3G off, I lose service too, for a few minutes. But it does come back.......:cool:
Yeah, that is usually what happens to me too. But this time, it just never came back. I was on a train though and thought that had something to do with it until I saw someone else playing with their iPhone. I asked about his service and he said "I've had service the entire ride." I got home and still had nothing. When I called AT&T, they transferred me to Apple. After trying many things, the lady at Apple had me just restore my phone.

She did say that if it happened again, they would replace my Sim card as this could be the reason for the problem. I haven't had the problem again *knocks on wood*

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
so with 3G on it strains your battery more even if your not using the interet?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
so with 3G on it strains your battery more even if your not using the interet?
I think it strains your battery if you're in an area without 3G, but have 3G enabled. This causes the phone to constantly search for a 3G signal. If you're in a 3G area, it does not have to constantly search for the signal and is not straining your battery.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me....:)

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Yeah, that is usually what happens to me too. But this time, it just never came back. I was on a train though and thought that had something to do with it until I saw someone else playing with their iPhone. I asked about his service and he said "I've had service the entire ride." I got home and still had nothing. When I called AT&T, they transferred me to Apple. After trying many things, the lady at Apple had me just restore my phone.

She did say that if it happened again, they would replace my Sim card as this could be the reason for the problem. I haven't had the problem again *knocks on wood*
LOL that is often the first thing they try to tell you when they have no idea how to remedy your issue. I've never heard that it actually works so it's generally a waste of time. If they advise you to go to AT&T to get a new sim card tell them you already did that and you'll get to a real solution much quicker. ;)

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
LOL that is often the first thing they try to tell you when they have no idea how to remedy your issue. I've never heard that it actually works so it's generally a waste of time. If they advise you to go to AT&T to get a new sim card tell them you already did that and you'll get to a real solution much quicker. ;)
I can honestly say I would not be thrilled about having to get a new SIM card. I'm rarely in a 3G area so it's not that big a deal, but i will say this, I'm slightly paranoid to switch from 3G to Edge now. My dad, also an iPhone user, does research on this and has found that a lot of people have been having the same problem switching back and forth.

He also told me that it should be fixed in an update if it hasn't already been fixed. As I mentioned, I'm not in a 3G area enough to say one or the other about 2.0.1