If the 8GB iPhone was $399.00 at launch...

NoWire

Sep 8, 2007
Would you have still got the 4GB version?

:cool:

I personally thought 4GB was more than enough for a PHONE. After a week of playing with it I still have almost 2GB left in there.

Music/videos you say? Got those on my iPod and/or Zune, and soon to come ZEN. ;)

How about you?

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
I think that a lot (not all, obviously) of iPhone users are looking to consolidate. The fact that it's plugged in and synced most every day makes it easier to carry only an abbreviated version of your media library.

That's the reason I chose the 8gig. If it were only a phone to me, I would probably have chosen the smaller/cheaper model... but the idea of lumping everything into one device is what sold me on the iPhone in the first place. When that's your goal, it makes sense to go for the most storage possible.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the vast majority of the people who post here chose the 8GB model, as did most purchasers in general (which I am assuming only by my personal experience [people I know--all have 8GB if at all] and the fact that they discontinued the 4GB so quickly, and could very well be wrong, if so someone please correct me). I don't know if theirs are the same or similar reasons I had for choosing the larger one, or because of the price difference really not being that much, or a combination of those or other factors.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
It was all about consolidating for me too. The everything on 1 device is what attracted me to iPhone. Sold my Zen 30g on ebay after I got iPhone.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I got the 4 gig because I didn't want to rob my mother of another $100. (She wouldn't let me pay for it myself.) If it had been $399 at launch, well, uhm, dur.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Was also going for consolidation as well, but no matter what I would have gotten the largest capacity as things tend to grow over time and I get lazier with the sync process as time goes on.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
yes i think 1 gb is all ineed i don't need like a gazillion songs or movies but they do kill some time every once inwhile but since im paying like 299 i rather just dump in a 100 more for double incase i ever do

VicSkimmr

Aug 7, 2007
If I only wanted this device as a phone I wouldn't have bought it period, lol.

goblues38

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
heck no. 8 gigs is way too little. I am comming from a 30gig mp3 player and a cell phone. 2 sevices.

It's great having 1 device to carry now, but when i synced my music, i diddnt get out of the E's.

I have a 400+ gig collection of music = 7,234 albms. My dream would be an 80 gig iPhone.

goblues38

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
It was all about consolidating for me too. The everything on 1 device is what attracted me to iPhone. Sold my Zen 30g on ebay after I got iPhone.
2nd. I had a zen vision M (30gig) + a razor phone. It sucked carrying 2 devices.

I miss my zen. That thing rocks. I gave it to my wife, she gave her ipod shuffle to my 6 year old.

All is well in our house hold.

VicSkimmr

Aug 7, 2007
heck no. 8 gigs is way too little. I am comming from a 30gig mp3 player and a cell phone. 2 sevices.

It's great having 1 device to carry now, but when i synced my music, i diddnt get out of the E's.

I have a 400+ gig collection of music = 7,234 albms. My dream would be an 80 gig iPhone.
You don't really need that much music on you at all times though unless you're a DJ.

NoWire

Sep 8, 2007
LOL.

Some of you guys make it sound like it's between a 30GB and a 60GB.

It's between 4 and 8 people!

How about showing us how you cram 30GB into an 8GB... LOL.

pfft.

Otay.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Music/videos you say? Got those on my iPod and/or Zune, and soon to come ZEN. ;)
Why would you keep a Zune or an iPod or a Zen if you have an iPhone? I got the 8g because I use my iPhone for teaching a dance class. I need a
variety of music and I need to have videos of dance moves with me.

And I had a 30GB Archos 604wifi (Similar to a Zen.) when I bought the iPhone. I do still have it. I keep my Music/video library on it, but I don't carry it around with me everywhere I go. I used to. It's smaller than the zen and has a larger screen so it's not too big for a pocket, but the iPhone works so much better.

Had the price been $399 at launch? I would have been happier, but I didn't blink at the $599 cost. Although I did (correctly apparantly) feel that it was about overpriced.

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I got the 8 gig because if I were to buy 2 4 gig phones it would cost twice as much...so with only a $100 difference between the two and twice as much space, it made more sense to me financially. On the other hand I hardly fill my 4 GB nano, so I knew I'd have plenty of room for consolidating. :D

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Would you have still got the 4GB version?

:cool:

I personally thought 4GB was more than enough for a PHONE. After a week of playing with it I still have almost 2GB left in there.

How about you?
Yeah... I got an 8GB and a 4GB for my wife. We should be clamoring for $100- PLUS an upgrade to an 8GB to make us whole.

JKD

Bronze
Aug 16, 2007
I would have bought the 8GB no question. Reality us that neither 4 nor 8 is big enough to stop me carrying my iPod, hence I kept 100 in my pocket and went smaller.

I fully expect larger storage to be available, maybe even iPhone gen 2 by early 2008 and will probably buy that, another reason I chose 4GB.