If the new update stops all future modding, will you update?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
This is the question I'm asking myself. I am having a lot of fun with my mods and it would take something REALLY nice to get me to lose my mods over it (and let me tell you, it sure AIN'T the iTunes Wifi Store, ugh). I think I would consider using an unmodded iPhone if I had mass texting and copy paste.

Banzai

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
This is the question I'm asking myself. I am having a lot of fun with my mods and it would take something REALLY nice to get me to lose my mods over it (and let me tell you, it sure AIN'T the iTunes Wifi Store, ugh). I think I would consider using an unmodded iPhone if I had mass texting and copy paste.
I just downgraded my iTunes so that iPhoneringtonemaker would work so I sure as hell won't upgrade the firmware unless it's a major addition to the phones functionality.

The only reason I would wipe my phone would be for:
GPS
Voice Reconition command exicution
Full video recording with upload tool
A bluetooth game controller

other than that I think the mod community is running circles around the offical team and wouldn't sacrifice that until I had to.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Copy paste, yes!
3G. Yes, but an update won't do it.
Video, nice...
Mass texting, I don't care.
Picture texting, video texting, yes!
Saving email attachments, yes.
Saving safari's contents, yes.
Quicktime streaming, yes.
TV channels, just like the Treo, but better, yes.
Voice recognition? I was doing that in 1996 and I'm really sick of it. My Treo wouldn't understand me half the time either.
And I know how to keep my own ringtones. I'm not giving that up.
A blue battery versus a green one, I'd give that up.
Printing from iPhone to airport, yes! Did anybody mention that?

Pharaoh

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
yeah im telling iTunes NOT to update, thats what i should be doing right? i like my phone the way it is so i don't want to update iTunes, its never anything thats mandatory or crucial is it

RevRoy

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
it depends on what is in the update. I don't think that we will get tv out, but if it's in the update, then YES, YES, Yes. other than that i'm not sure

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I'll always update but I'll try to wait a few days. Nothing is going to stop the hackers. An update may set things back a bit, but someone will find a way around it.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
I don't believe any future updates can possibly indefinitely prohibit all future moding. Sooner or later, somebody will "crack" it. Am I wrong?

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
if theres a will theres a way and trust me there is a will somewhere to hack anything...so even if they tried to block mods they wont be able to..unless maybe they put out smail OTA updates everyday that somehow revert your phone to normal but then somebody would find a way to block those lol...

ill tell you what i would like to see in an update but ill still update just to have the latest firmware...it fixes little stuff you don't see ya know

iChat or aim/msn/yim like program
Video Recording plus uploading to youtube
Macromedia Flash support
Copy and Paste feature
MMS messaging
better support for gmail
the ability to save files from the web and email attachments
acess to the storage space through either Explorer or iTunes
printing would be nice through a home network or something
instant access/uploads to photobucket/flicker for photos and videos
more customizable features
the list may go on but im tired and cant think of anything else right now

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
if theres a will theres a way and trust me there is a will somewhere to hack anything...so even if they tried to block mods they wont be able to..unless maybe they put out smail OTA updates everyday that somehow revert your phone to normal but then somebody would find a way to block those lol...
Well I'm sure that they will unblock it eventually, but the question is, are you willing to live with your updated, unmodded phone while you wait for the hackers? It took them 2 months to fully unlock the phone, who knows how long it will be next time Apple tries to block something.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Nope!
Esp if the only update is a store and some double tap ipod thing. Could really care less about iTunes on the go. Rather have my AppTapp ;) most of the stuff there is cooler then a WiFi store any day of the week and I'm sure it will just get better.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Im hopping the next update has flash, video for the camera, better sound for the speakers, better fonts, a plasma tv, NFL season tickets to the Giants, a cure for cancer, a bikini clad drunken brittany spears,(minus the kids), finalized divorced papers from the ball and chain, and, oh yes, world peace:)

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
wow what a dream world we're in. First, Apple will not be able to STOP future modding. This thing is only a telephone and as long as you synch and hook up with your computer there will alwys be people out there modding and hacking... Name a device that you can't mod... From game consoles to cable boxes, its ALL adjustable via 3rd parties and always will be.
second, we ain't getting an update so its a moot point.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Yes, I will. This Tuesday would be the best update for anything.
I think I missed where this Tuesday was announced as patch day. Anyone have a link? I expect it by the end of the month since that is what SJ said, but never heard Tuesday.

I might update the phone, I will not update iTunes from 7.3 though, so if I have do update iTunes I will hold off on the phone update until I read some feedback on how it is working. Right now my phone has no problems and I don't want that to change!