If u want 3.0, read this before attempting to upgrade

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
I offer a small piece of advice to allt he people who wish to upgrade to 3.0 before it's public release. DON'T DO IT (unless your one of the iPhone software developers)! There is reason it is still a beta. Just be patient until it comes out this summer. I hate waiting for it too, but there still bugs that need to be worked out. Stick to 2.2.1 for now. 3.0 will come in a few months; all in due time.......

And now for some comments about the 3.0 software:
-FINALLY! COPY/PASTE IS HERE!
-FINALLY! MMS IS HERE! (to bad its only for the 3G, good thing I got it :))
-I really need spotlight, i got a lot of apps.
-If only Apple could add zoom, autofocus, and video recording to the iPhone *sighs*..........
-the iPhone rules!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You're a little late. A lot of us have the 3.0 beta 2 on our iPhones and are enjoying it very much. It's not that buggy, and I use my iPhone as my everyday phone.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
I agree with Napoleon.. I was a bit skeptical at first because its the only phone that I have, but it is actually pretty fine to use eve being a beta.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I agree too. And anyone who is here ends up getting activated by a developer, so that isn't even a big deal anymore. My only iPhone is running 3.0 beta 2 and I love it, I don't have any complaints. This is a great beta version and a huge improvement over beta 1.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
He's probably just mad because he couldn't figure out how to get it and we did.

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
One of the fun things about using the beta 2 firmware is being able to find all of the little bugs and shoot them back to Apple. It is kind of cool being a part of the development process for the final release of it.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
He's probably just mad because he couldn't figure out how to get it and we did.
LOL!

I agree too. And anyone who is here ends up getting activated by a developer, so that isn't even a big deal anymore. My only iPhone is running 3.0 beta 2 and I love it, I don't have any complaints. This is a great beta version and a huge improvement over beta 1.
Luckily, I didn't start with beta 1, I went straight to beta 2. I did read about all the bugs in beta 1 and I'm glad I didn't have to go through that though.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I have amended the original post to reflect the truth:

I offer a small piece of advice to allt he people who wish to upgrade to 3.0 before it's public release. JUST DO IT! (even if your not one of the iPhone software developers)! Even though it is still a beta. Don't be patient until it comes out this summer. I hate waiting for it too, there still bugs that need to be worked out but who cares? They are minor anyways. Don't Stick with 2.2.1 for now. 3.0 will come in a few months; which is far to long to wait for all these amazing features.......

(I tried to leave the original spelling errors and what not)

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I have amended the original post to reflect the truth:

I offer a small piece of advice to allt he people who wish to upgrade to 3.0 before it's public release. JUST DO IT! (even if your not one of the iPhone software developers)! Even though it is still a beta. Don't be patient until it comes out this summer. I hate waiting for it too, there still bugs that need to be worked out but who cares? They are minor anyways. Don't Stick with 2.2.1 for now. 3.0 will come in a few months; which is far to long to wait for all these amazing features.......

(I tried to leave the original spelling errors and what not)
no you should make sure your linked to a developers account or it is a really bad idea

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
I was on 3.0 1 and 2 and I'm now back to 2.2.1. I seem to be the only person with the problem of not being able to sync my phone with iTunes on 3.0. I tried everything and searched everywhere for answers. So I'll have to wait for the full release. I can't live without my music and contacts!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I was on 3.0 1 and 2 and I'm now back to 2.2.1. I seem to be the only person with the problem of not being able to sync my phone with iTunes on 3.0. I tried everything and searched everywhere for answers. So I'll have to wait for the full release. I can't live without my music and contacts!

In my experience with 3.0, iTunes takes a lot longer to sync than normal. It continue to sync long after it appears it should be done. Interrupting the process seems to nullify the sync. Were you letting the syncing process go until you got the disconnect message in iTunes?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ya Hinezy, Napoleon's right. Just wait the sync out, there is a really long delay at the end where you think it's just gonna hang forever but it will finish in 30 minutes or so. A little annoying but it eventually DOES finish and your music will be there. Small price to pay to be able to use 3.0 beta :)

By the way I think this thread's hilarious, the OP acting like it's the obvious decision to not upgrade, with like 15 responses after saying how it actually is a great idea to upgrade. I agree! 3.0 beta 2 is slightly buggy, but totally usable and the new features make it worth it hands down.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Comparing both V1 and V2 iPhones, I have to say FW 3.0b2 has by far been the most stable FW I have ever had.

3.0b1 was pretty buggy and I was a little let down by it because of lag and long waits to access things such as 'network' or 'iPod'....but 3.0b2 has been the fastest most stable FW yet. I've only had 1 or 2 app/Safari crashes since I installed it the day it came out. Everything runs fast and I can only imagine it will get better.

To the OP, there IS a reason to upgrade to 3.0 if you're not a developer. Some people like to see what the future will be like...now!

2white2fight

Bronze
Mar 31, 2009
925 the bay
yes same as me iam using beta 2 and its not buggy at all its good enough for everyday use!

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
I guess I'm lucky to have almost no bugs. I had the text lag once so far and that's about it. My syncs are normal and fast. Everything is just really smooth.

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
In my experience with 3.0, iTunes takes a lot longer to sync than normal. It continue to sync long after it appears it should be done. Interrupting the process seems to nullify the sync. Were you letting the syncing process go until you got the disconnect message in iTunes?
The problem I'm having is that when I connect my iPhone it does show up in iTunes under devices but when I click on it it does nothing. No sync screen no nothing. If I was on my music a screen before clicking on the iPhone in devices, the music screen remains but is frozen. So my problem isn't a long sync it's no sync at all. Any help would be appreciated. As I said before I searched high and low with no answers. One person said it only works with OS 10.5 but I haven't found confirmation of that.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
The problem I'm having is that when I connect my iPhone it does show up in iTunes under devices but when I click on it it does nothing. No sync screen no nothing. If I was on my music a screen before clicking on the iPhone in devices, the music screen remains but is frozen. So my problem isn't a long sync it's no sync at all. Any help would be appreciated. As I said before I searched high and low with no answers. One person said it only works with OS 10.5 but I haven't found confirmation of that.
that is really strange, if i had this issue id stay with 2.2

lollywood

Sep 5, 2008
so how do i get 3.0 beta 2, its all new to me, but i can work it out if you can help me get it on my iPhone 3g