If Verizon Gets (CDMA) iPhone Would You Switch From AT&T?

Which Carrier Would You Prefer The iPhone To Be On?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Greetings Forum Members,
The question is would you leave AT&T and go to Verizon if Verizon gets the iPhone? Also are you currently happy with AT&T's coverage and service? And lastly, if iPhone could be on any carriers network. Which carrier would you choose?

My thoughts: Verizon to me has no better service than AT&T especially when traveling throughout the United States. I think the more bars in more places and all the people behind the Verizon Man are a HUGE lie. In my opinion both AT&T and Verizon have horrible coverage and data speeds. I would love to see a CDMA version of the iPhone on Sprint. I believe that Sprint is the best cellular provider in the United States. Let the debate begin :) Mark

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'll stick with AT&T probably forever in Philly because the connection is so good everywhere. That combined with most of my family being on AT&T, so mobile-to-mobile is free, and our 3,000 rollover minutes... makes it hard to leave. The only thing I don't like about AT&T is their rates are a bit high, especially for texting. But I don't text much, so it's really a non-issue.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I'd ditch the iPhone before I moved to Sprint. I know Mark swears by it in the US but he can only be talking about the lower 48. I still travel to Alaska a bit too much and AT&T is the only national carrier up there. Verizon has good roaming service though. Ultimately I would go with whichever one is cheaper assuming the Verizon version is still a world phone. Rollover doesn't matter to me. I have about the same about as you pyslichon and I'll never use them. Both my wife and I text a good amount though.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
AT&T is second to none in Florida (at least where I go in Florida) so I won't be switching any time soon.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Second that ATT vote.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Verizon's unlimited (which really isn't unlimited) everything (including PDA data package) is 159.99. Want VZ Navigator 10.00 bucks extra. Want Visual Voicemail 2.00 extra. We're talking 171.99 plus tax for their subpar service. Verizon justifies the cost by saying they offer superior service. I just have not found that to be true. Sure it works great at home but not when traveling. And their data speed comes no where close to Sprint. Exactly why I wondered why there was no WiFi on the Storm. Mark

dwella

Apr 5, 2009
AT&T for me is the best coverage.

d

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So what would the equivalent of AT&T's 2-line plan with 500 shared minutes, unlimited data x2, and 200 texts x2 cost with Verizon? Only answer if you know a ballpark off the top of your head... I just can't be arsed to go to verizon's website and pretend I'm going to join.

Redon

Apr 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
I'm 100% T-Mobile fan. data on costs me $5.99 per month and whenever i take to a T-Mobile rep there like Oh, i see your using an iPhone. here is a free 100 minutes for staying with T-Mobile. Also, i like right next to a T-Mobile tower, and im always on campus so i get the best coverage.

T-MOBILE!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
whenever i take to a T-Mobile rep there like Oh, i see your using an iPhone. here is a free 100 minutes for staying with T-Mobile.
That's pretty funny! Is that standard operating practice or do you have a hookup?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I'll stick with AT&T probably forever in Philly because the connection is so good everywhere. That combined with most of my family being on AT&T, so mobile-to-mobile is free, and our 3,000 rollover minutes... makes it hard to leave. The only thing I don't like about AT&T is their rates are a bit high, especially for texting. But I don't text much, so it's really a non-issue.
This sums it up for me. Especially the part about all our friends being on same. We have a family plan of 450 minutes and only use a fraction of them. ATT is superb in my area and have had no problems when out of town. I have been with ATT for many years and have no plans to switch. I would hate to see the iPhone go to someone like Sprint. It is the pits here.
So if the Apple decides to go elsewhere, it will be a tough decision for me.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Oh I don't think Apple will jump ship from AT&T even if Verizon does get lucky and scores the iPhone. It will simply be another distribution channel. I really don't see a CDMA iPhone, though, and I don't think Verizon's new network will be ready for primetime by 2010.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
This sums it up for me. Especially the part about all our friends being on same. We have a family plan of 450 minutes and only use a fraction of them. ATT is superb in my area and have had no problems when out of town. I have been with ATT for many years and have no plans to switch. I would hate to see the iPhone go to someone like Sprint. It is the pits here.
So if the Apple decides to go elsewhere, it will be a tough decision for me.
I had a conversation the other day with a Sprint customer service manager. I told her even as hot as the Pre is rumored to be. Sprint's years of hideous customer service left a bad taste in thousands of customer's mouths. I mentioned how Sprint's reputation is totally ruined. Many of the customers that experienced the horrible customer service and constant billing errors will never come back to Sprint.

Sprint has greatly improved their customer service and cell service. I'm am very happy now with the great customer service and phone service. Sprint did all of this to late though. The damage has already been done. I suggested that the only thing Sprint could do to save itself is change the brand to another name. Just as a strong brand name with a good company behind it will continue to retain and attract customers. So will a weak brand name that has been tarnished by years of complaints continue to run customers off and lose new sales. It's really a shame to because Sprint has really corrected their problems. Just goes to show you treat your customers correctly or lose them forever. Mark

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. If Apple can broker a deal with Verizon, then AT&T is going to be the big loser and consumers are going to be the big winners. Both AT&T and Verizon will be fighting for customers and lower rates will undoubtedly be the result. I can't wait!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'll just state for the record that I think opening the iPhone to other carriers would be a great thing for everyone. It would force AT&T to finally put their rates in the same ballpark as the rest of the industry. But if Apple completely dropped AT&T support (which it won't do), that would be completely insane and I would be quite angry with them. :)

I'll also say that I think this meeting with Verizon today was merely posturing on Apple's part as they reach the renegotiation stage with their contract with AT&T. The latter is doing very well as a result of the former, so I think Apple's trying to muscle some more money out of 'em.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Even though I would love to see the iPhone on Sprint. I would love even more to see the iPhone as well as every other phone on all carriers. As I have said I am really sick and tired of all this phone exclusive to a carrier crap. Just sale me the phone and let me decide with what carrier I want to use it with. I know what works for me and what doesn't. We should start a revolution if a phone is exclusive to a carrier. Don't buy it and watch how fast the practice of tying a phone to a specific carrier will end. Mark

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
handsets being locked-in to service providers is a draconian way of going about businesss and does nothing to keep things competitive or reasonable, rate-wise. It's a practice that needs to die a quick death.

Unfortunately, we're all so mobile-obsessed these days that the providers can really do whatever the hell they want and, nyah nyah! you'll still buy it!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
handsets being locked-in to service providers is a draconian way of going about businesss and does nothing to keep things competitive or reasonable, rate-wise. It's a practice that needs to die a quick death.

Unfortunately, we're all so mobile-obsessed these days that the providers can really do whatever the hell they want and, nyah nyah! you'll still buy it!
Dave,
I 1000% agree with you. There are so many opinions on this issue this might turn out to be another great thread. Like the iPod power cord thread. :laugh2: Anyway if our government would just at least stand up for it citizens some of the time a lot of non-consumer friendly practices could be stopped. I won't hold my breath waiting for that day to come.:mad: Mark

BTW: I just thought about it. Somewhere along the way Apple must have fixed the iPhone's Safari browser. I cannot even remember the last time Safari crashed. Go Apple!