If you can't activate get a new SIM from AT&T!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tjpyles

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
OK, for those who can this will work. I read on macrumors forums about several people going back to their ATT stores and getting a second sim, so I tried it.

I had been waiting for over 17 hours with nothing happening. Got a new sim from ATT and went through signup process again. This time is was up and running in less than 10 minutes. THIS DEFINITELY WORKS!

awesker3

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
OK, for those who can this will work. I read on macrumors forums about several people going back to their ATT stores and getting a second sim, so I tried it.

I had been waiting for over 17 hours with nothing happening. Got a new sim from ATT and went through signup process again. This time is was up and running in less than 10 minutes. THIS DEFINITELY WORKS!

DId they just give you another SIM card free or ?

Are you an existing customer or?

I am not sure if this is a good thing to do for everyone.

tjpyles

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I am a new customer from Verizon. I thought that the port process might have been my problem but as soon as I put the new sim in and activated bingo port process was done in couple minutes. They did give me card for free. They were very good about it. As a matter of fact after all the phone calls and people I have dealt with on this matter, I found my local ATT store to be STELLAR. They really went out of their way to help me, even calling me back with several suggestions (before we came up with this one) trying to fix.

awesker3

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
I am a new customer from Verizon. I thought that the port process might have been my problem but as soon as I put the new sim in and activated bingo port process was done in couple minutes. They did give me card for free. They were very good about it. As a matter of fact after all the phone calls and people I have dealt with on this matter, I found my local ATT store to be STELLAR. They really went out of their way to help me, even calling me back with several suggestions (before we came up with this one) trying to fix.

Well, I am willing to try that. I hope I don't get hit with a 84 hour activation after a new SIM card doesn't work either. haha.

Can you describe the process you went through? Were there any hiccups, or different screens? DId it tell you, that you were already activating etc?

Thanks for the help.

tjpyles

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Where did you purchase your iPhone?
I did purchase my iPhone from the same AT&T store that gave me the new SIM, so I don't know how much that may factor into this. However, I suggested the new SIM idea to my local store, and they didn't flinch. They acted like it was no big deal at all. As a matter of fact, I popped out my old SIM to give them in exchange, and the guy said just keep it.

tjpyles

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Well, I am willing to try that. I hope I don't get hit with a 84 hour activation after a new SIM card doesn't work either. haha.

Can you describe the process you went through? Were there any hiccups, or different screens? DId it tell you, that you were already activating etc?

Thanks for the help.
I went through the exact same process as the first time in iTunes. I will say that I had read that dashes in the account number will cause a problem, so the second time I left the dash out of my account number. Also the first time, it told me my address didn't match - Address on account was Merlin Cir - Address I had entered first time Merlin Circle, so I made sure to enter it exactly like was in my account the second time. I don't know if these things had anything to do with it, but I was extremely particular and careful the second time entering information. I heard (don't know whether true) that differences can cause problems.

I had no hiccups AT ALL (other than being careful). As a matter of fact, when I received confirmation so quickly that I was activated I was sure something had gone wrong again. It didn't say anything about the first activation - I'm sure the new SIM made it see a totally new phone.

Chessh2036

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007

did you keep your same number from verizon?

Jun 30, 2007
Houston
www.myspace.com

Ok I just went to my AT&T store and asked for a new sim. They said they can't put a new sim in the phone because its inside the phone and cant be taken out. They told me to just keep waiting. Been almost 18 hours now. this is totall bull crap i'm so pissed!

mc751n

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
What about your first pending activation, what's going to happen to that? Double activation fee/plans?

Can anyone else confirm this working?

tjpyles

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Ok I just went to my AT&T store and asked for a new sim. They said they can't put a new sim in the phone because its inside the phone and cant be taken out. They told me to just keep waiting. Been almost 18 hours now. this is totall bull crap i'm so pissed!
They just don't know what they're doing. All it takes is a paper clip and it will pop out.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

The manager of the AT&T store where I bought mine yesterday told me that two people had been back to the store with defective sims.