If you can't activate get a new SIM from AT&T!

tjpyles

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I did it! i went and got a new sim card (no charge) put it in, went through the process again, and its now activated! :laugh2:
This makes my day knowing this is working for others too. I am actually at the airport right now using my iPhone to post.

brunn1022

Jun 25, 2007
Cincinnati
anyone know what will happen if i trying putting my old sim card into the iPhone and trying to activate that?

I don't believe that the problem is the sim cards being bad because I can take out my iPhone sim and use it in my pearl. So if i try to activate the iPhone with my old sim maybe it would work? It may also screw things up even more. Anyone try it?

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
has anyone done this successfuly with porting a number from another carrier or is this only for current ATT customers or folks getting a new number from ATT?

MandyCh1ck

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
anyone know what will happen if i trying putting my old sim card into the iPhone and trying to activate that?

I don't believe that the problem is the sim cards being bad because I can take out my iPhone sim and use it in my pearl. So if i try to activate the iPhone with my old sim maybe it would work? It may also screw things up even more. Anyone try it?
I used to work for Cingular/AT&T and usually SIM cards can be activated one time and after that they are pretty much worthless. This is why in another post they said the employee didn't take their old one back, it's because all they can do it send it back and recycle materials, not the actual SIM... I'm in the same boat as you and i think i'm going to go to the store and get a new SIM.

vrsc

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Orlando, Fl
He guys, this is the answer! Took the sim card from my other iPhone and didn't any dashes when i activated it and it's off and running. Thanks!

ximermot

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I went and got a new sim (at no charge), went through the activation process and got the same e-mail message that said my activation would require additional time to complete. Let's see how long I have to wait this time.

tjpyles

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
has anyone done this successfuly with porting a number from another carrier or is this only for current ATT customers or folks getting a new number from ATT?
Yes, if you look at a couple of my earlier posts, I describe that I ported a Verizon number doing this.

tjpyles

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I went and got a new sim (at no charge), went through the activation process and got the same e-mail message that said my activation would require additional time to complete. Let's see how long I have to wait this time.
I just cringed a bit for you. I have heard of a number of people trying this now (on here and from macrumors) and so far you are the first that I have heard who didn't get an almost immediate response.

tjpyles

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Last edited by a moderator:

Denny Crane

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Same thing for me. I just have returned from the AT&T store with a new SIM card and went through the activation process and have just received the same email stating that the activation would require additional time. If this doesn't work, it will be back to the Treo for me.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Same thing for me. I just have returned from the AT&T store with a new SIM card and went through the activation process and have just received the same email stating that the activation would require additional time. If this doesn't work, it will be back to the Treo for me.
Check with AT&T and make sure that your account has been activated. That was our situation, our account had been activated but the SIM card was bad so the phone would not work.

Just my 2 cents, I've been monitoring this forum since the release of the phones and AT&T is being BASHED mercilessly for the long delay in activation. They may be to blame in "some cases" but they did not put the SIM cards in the phones, Apple did.

MandyCh1ck

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
in AT&T store as we speak, waiting to get a new SIM. I'll keep everyone posted.

captain4004

Bronze
May 2, 2007
Charleston SC
Ok I just went to my AT&T store and asked for a new sim. They said they can't put a new sim in the phone because its inside the phone and cant be taken out. They told me to just keep waiting. Been almost 18 hours now. this is totall bull crap i'm so pissed!
Take a paper clip and pop it out in front them, that will show em:mad:

Chessh2036

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
im waiting for my number to port over from verizon, if I went and got a new sim card, would this make the process faster? im on my 19th hour right now. Can anyone confirm that this works?

Denny Crane

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
I'm a current AT&T customer. Just getting the phone and data plan. Finally talked to someone at the "activation center" and they said that they can see my request but can't do anything until I get an "activation number" which appparently comes with the activation confirmation....At this point, whatever.......... :-(

I just went and got a new SIM and came home and was activated in 5 minutes. After putting the new SIM in, iTunes had me do the setup all over again.

I think when they got so many last night, It jammed there system and probably caused some number errors. I am off to play with my iPhone finally!

Thanks to those of you who posted this initially!

First sim card - 20 hours

Second sim card - 5 minutes!

And just so you know, my store had no clue about any problems (according to them) and the three people working did not know how to get the SIM out, I had to show them. When you put the paper clip in the end, push down on the paper clip and it pops out, similar to a pc slot on a laptop. don't try to pull up with the paper clip, it does not work, that is what they were trying.

Chessh2036

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
has anyone transfered a number from verizon and done this and it worked?

zachoz

Jun 30, 2007
It Works

Just another voice in the chorus, this actually works! I did call AT&T customer support first and have them note my account that they needed to give me a new SIM, and I'm glad I did because the guy in the store wasn't going to otherwise.