If you don't currently own an iPhone....

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Why would you buy one before the june release of iPhone 2?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Loaded question. Bottom line would be you can't wait. You would have heard about all the benefits and would want to be able to partake in them now.

The question is an extremely common question when considering spending your hard-earned income on a technology product. I faced this battle when I bought my iMac. I could have waited 1 month for the new iMacs to come out, but I chose to get it before. Price wasn't a factor. I knew I wouldn't have the latest chip set or video card. But, Mac's last years on end. The iMac I purchased would be plenty capable for all credible uses.

If I did not have my iPhone now, I would probably still buy one. It may lack the 3G, GPS and other rumored goodies, but it would still do lots of other things just as well.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
It's always a constant battle with technology. You can always wait just around the corner and something will be better, but then you'll pay the hefty price for that new technology. At the exact same time the old technology will get a hefty price drop and that will now seem tempting. It's just the way technology works.

Think of what you can and can't live without and have a SOLID budget that you stick to in mind.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
You see I won't even have the chance to buy an iPhone until maybe september when my Tmobile contract expires (see sig), but THEN I have to ask myself, "well macworld is only a few months away and their bound to have yet another upgrade or model", so do I just keep waiting 3 months at a time?

Probably not because ill end up never having an iPhone in that case.

But I'm still curious as to what may happen to the iPhone towards the end of the year/holiday season and even though my contract has expired may keep saving my money and be a bit more patient before I make the leap.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If I didn't have on right now I would wait until June. Only makes sense to buy the phone that will be able to utilize the latest technology available. It would be like buying a computer with a single core processor when quad-cores are just around the corner.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
I promise. U can quote me on this.. The new phone that will possibly release this june will be the same as the one we have now. But with minor Tweeks and fixes ( 3G etc.) I feel that an actual 2nd generation iPhone with a new UI, *User Interface* will have to wait another year or so.

SwingOnThis

Bronze
Feb 29, 2008
I'll bet there are a lot of cell phone shoppers out there who wouldn't have any idea about v2 of the iPhone.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Shows how materialistic and tech-handicapped I really am. The nearest AT&T 3G market is 45 minutes notrth of me, yet I have already sold my week 43 iPhone in preparation for the second coming. So now I will have to lie to my wife and tell here that my iPhone is damaged and Apple is quoting 6 to 8 weeks to fix it. (hoping that the 3g is realeased in June) In the meanwhile they gave me an N95-3 to keep my service uninterrupted! Then I will have to sell the N95 when I buy iPhone 2. My web of lies is getting deeper and deeper LOL.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
Shows how materialistic and tech-handicapped I really am. The nearest AT&T 3G market is 45 minutes notrth of me, yet I have already sold my week 43 iPhone in preparation for the second coming. So now I will have to lie to my wife and tell here that my iPhone is damaged and Apple is quoting 6 to 8 weeks to fix it. (hoping that the 3g is realeased in June) In the meanwhile they gave me an N95-3 to keep my service uninterrupted! Then I will have to sell the N95 when I buy iPhone 2. My web of lies is getting deeper and deeper LOL.
It will be worth it. just hope your wife doesn't read the forums.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
And regardless of wither Apple redesigns the phone or just adds new features. the current model will be obsolete. Apple has a habit of doing this with all of its products. like the iBooks disappeared once the MacBook was released. same with the iPods so i don't think the iPhone will be any different.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Like buying a new car. As soon as you drive it off the lot, the resale value of the vehicle drops. We can't live without technology (we could, but I wouldn't be happy :)). The current iPhone was obsolete in June. The new iPhone will be obsolete after it is released.

What reduces the degree of obsolescense is the SDK/jailbreak movement. Design a platform and maximize flexibility via user applied software. Once the platform can't support the new software, move on.

I faced this when I shifted from my Apple II+ to a MS-DOS IBM clone. Faced it again when I had to shift to a Windows 95 machine. Etc. Apple has decided to kill off the older Power PC platforms by making it impossible to install Leopard if the CPU is below a certain frequency.

Changes take place everywhere. Almost everywhere (won't go into the airlines).

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I figured there would be a new iPhone coming out relatively soon but then the release of the 16gig showed that it wasn't that soon. So I got the 16gig instead of waiting for the 2nd gen because I'm impatient.

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
I think what will happen is the new phone will take the $600 price point and the older I phones will be sold at e reduced price.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I promise. U can quote me on this.. The new phone that will possibly release this june will be the same as the one we have now. But with minor Tweeks and fixes ( 3G etc.) I feel that an actual 2nd generation iPhone with a new UI, *User Interface* will have to wait another year or so.
You might be right on this, but if 3G is available here when the new version goes on sale, I'll buy one.

I am forced to wait simply because of my T-Mobile contract, however, I would also wait for the 3G. It may be hard to believe, but Birmingham AL has 3G, and the EDGE iPhones that I have toyed with in the store are pretty slow.

Even if I wasn't under contract, I'd still wait the 2 months; that's a drop in the bucket to get the latest tweaks.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Heck, why wait? You are going to have to pay full price for the new iPhone anyways, why not get it, unlock it, and use it on T-Mo until your contract is up? The only thing you will be missing is Visual Voicemail. I wouldn't doubt you will be able to set up the $5.99 T-Zones too.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Heck, why wait? You are going to have to pay full price for the new iPhone anyways, why not get it, unlock it, and use it on T-Mo until your contract is up? The only thing you will be missing is Visual Voicemail. I wouldn't doubt you will be able to set up the $5.99 T-Zones too.
Well current generation iPhone's value will drop like a rock on ebay after the new version comes out. Even unlocked iPHone's value will plummet.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
If Apple released the exchange support prior to the 3g release I would actually consider it. But without that, the iPhone is useless to me.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Wow. Well, as Twain said, "Put all your eggs in one basket, and watch that basket."

-K