If you got the 4S are you glad you got it?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
I am waiting for my 4S (21st-28th) :(
Wanting to know if people are happy with the 4S, it's a big upgrade for me as I have a 3GS its not got buttons on it so new phone is needed.
Just wondering if I'm doing the right thing well I still have the chance to cancel ?

So is it what you expected or better or worse than you where hoping for?

Also how is the Siri thing, does it understand well and can it learn to persons accent ?
I'm Scottish so yesss if you have seen that video way the two Scottish lads In the lift I can see it kind of being like that haha

Cheers in advance

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Yes, you will be happy and Siri will learn to understand you.You can enable Siri for English UK. She's learning my Brooklyn accent and she's getting better. It helps if i don't talk so fast and try to pronounce words that end in the letter R lol

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
Yes, you will be happy and Siri will learn to understand you.You can enable Siri for English UK. She's learning my Brooklyn accent and she's getting better. It helps if i don't talk so fast and try to pronounce words that end in the letter R lol

Haha that's great, I love the thought of it learning.

I can't wait !

Can you get it to right a text for you a note ?

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
My 4S is absolutely amazing. I'm not regretting lining up overnight for it whatsoever! It's very fast, very stable, and I think Apple really fixed the antenna this time, because I have yet to see my phone fall below 5 bars! Siri is absolutely mind-blowing, it's interesting to see some of it's answers to your not-very-serious inquiries, such as "I need to hide a body!". I don't have an accent, so Siri can understand me perfectly fine, but as Bitewound says, Siri will learn to understand you.

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
Haha that's great, I love the thought of it learning.

I can't wait !

Can you get it to right a text for you a note ?
Yes, to texts and notes, since I wasn't sure which you meant. LOL

I'm a new iPhone user, on Sprint and I love it!

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
Yes, to texts and notes, since I wasn't sure which you meant. LOL

I'm a new iPhone user, on Sprint and I love it!

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
Nice I can't wait !, I have everything ready apart from the micro sim and the 4S LOL,
I phoned 02 up and they say oh we will send you one and don't and that's me phoned them twice.
Cant wait to be lazy to speak to write a text LOL.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
Nice I can't wait !, I have everything ready apart from the micro sim and the 4S LOL,
I phoned 02 up and they say oh we will send you one and don't and that's me phoned them twice.
Cant wait to be lazy to speak to write a text LOL.
You'll be amazed at how accurate it is, aside from picking up punctuation. In that regard, you can simply say "comma", "period", "semi-colon", and it will add them respectfully instead of spelling it out.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
You'll be amazed at how accurate it is, aside from picking up punctuation. In that regard, you can simply say "comma", "period", "semi-colon", and it will add them respectfully instead of spelling it out.

Wow, this week is going so slow :(
I want my iPhone !

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
I have to say I was a fence-sitter on this one. I pre-ordered for my wife and I but was just unsure I had made the right choice for me. I had all the iPhones through the 3GS (well not the 3, we upgraded from the original to the 3GS) before I had had enough of AT&T and moved back to Verizon. I loved Android, my wife hated it. As soon as the iPhone was available at Verizon I got her one but I stuck with Android.

When the 4S was available for pre-order I went for it, mostly because of Face-Time, iMessaging and Siri. If I'm honest I can't really say I cared one way or the other about the iPhone itself. Now that I have the 4S I'm absolutely happy I switched back.

If everyone is objective about it, they can admit that there are many positive things about iOS and many positive things about Android. I've never really understood the need to make yourself feel better about your possession by degrading another person's different possession (although, being human, I've participated in that practice as well). Jeeps versus Hummers (or any other 4 wheel drive really), Vettes versus Vipers, crotch rocket versus cruiser, etc... (Okay those are all vehicles but you get my point) Just enjoy what you have and let others enjoy their stuff.

Now, all that being said, there are things I will miss from Android. The native Android calendar is more robust than the native iOS one. iOS5 now includes a week view so fixed that. Still I use Calengoo because the Google calendar is what I am most comfortable with. The beauty of iOS5 is, I can schedule into the native calendar with Siri and it populates Calengoo. Phenomenal.

I will miss the native ability to customize the appearance of my handset and I will miss widgets. In reality widgets is the number one thing I will miss. That is maybe the one single thing that I believe Android does better than iOS.

Nobody throw anything at me but I WILL miss Flash. The net is absolutely more friendly to iDevices now but Flash was great with the right Android handset. With the wrong handset it was abysmal. I had a good handset.

Now as far as battery issues go it's really a wash. My iPhone is no better or worse than the DroidX I had. If a handset has a certain feature set then I expect to be able to use those features at will. When I get in my car I want my Bluetooth already on. When I hit a WiFi signal I want my WiFi active. I want push notifications from any and all apps that I feel are important to be active at all times. Certainly I can tweak on the phone until I can squeeze every last useable electron out of it to gain more user time. But I'm a big proponent of quality over quantity. If I can't use half the abilities of the phone because it drains the battery in 4 hours then the phone isn't really that useful. That being said, with everything turned on like I like it; with Android handsets and my 4S they are pretty equivalent.

Here is where iOS people are going to get a wakeup call soon and is something Android users are already painfully aware of. 4G/LTE sucks down batteries like a wino with a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20. There just isn't any getting around it. This is a big reason I believe Apple hasn't incorporated it into the iDevices yet. We are talking less than several hours of talk/standby with every LTE handset I've seen if they are in an LTE signal. I live south of an LTE area by about 35 miles. Friends of mine with LTE handsets get very equivalent usage/standby times to mine until they hit LTE then they are having to recharge every 3 hours or so. Can you imagine the s**tstorm that would happen if that occurred with the new iPhone?

At the end of the day what really sets this iPhone apart is the voice recognition/Siri. Most everything else is window dressing. Siri is the new multitouch screen. It really is that good. And with the Nuance voice dictation you just talk and everything works. That includes medical jargon as well. I have yet to have to correct spelling in any of the medical terminology I have used. Now that's amazing!

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
As another former 3GS user, I am very happy with the 4s! Definite speed difference, display is amazingly clear. The list goes on and on
Good I'm on 3GS with no volume button and silent mode does not work !
When I'm it somewhere is so annoying because I can't turn it on silent or turn it off because it's thetheard :/

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
We decided to get one more (unlocked that is)
I may have troubles with Siri but son absolutely fell in love with her.
So he begged us and gives up his Birthdayparty for the chance of the new phone with Siri.
I love the iP4s for it being so fast and the Camera is outstanding and fast as well
To bad Siri has trouble with german accent and hopefully she will learn to speak Mutterlangauge
(mutter=mother in german)
but at the moment I am faster without Siri

Rootntootn

Bronze
Sep 11, 2011
I was real unhappy on Oct 14 when it arrived, found my iPhone4 backups from Oct 12 were unusable (despite using newest iTunes version). I backed up my 4, no error message generated, and went on installing iOS 5 so my wife could use it. Spent last 3 days rebuilding my phone. Pissed majorly, but I Still like the 4S. (makes me a Fanboy?) Nice phone, but now I'm paranoid. My daughter's scared to upgrade to 5; at least until the Apple servers get less swamped

Reinstalled 200+ apps. Had separate backups of msecure passwords and HandBase files. Contacts preserved in outlook. Had my photos on hard drive; still gotta reload videos. Lost safari bookmarks. Notes were safe in Evernote. Lost my iThoughts outlines as hadn't backed them up to dropbox It's like rebuilding my life.

If I sync to iCloud is it a complete picture if my phone so I can resurrect the mother if da s**t strikes again?

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
I was real unhappy on Oct 14 when it arrived, found my iPhone4 backups from Oct 12 were unusable (despite using newest iTunes version). I backed up my 4, no error message generated, and went on installing iOS 5 so my wife could use it. Spent last 3 days rebuilding my phone. Pissed majorly, but I Still like the 4S. (makes me a Fanboy?) Nice phone, but now I'm paranoid. My daughter's scared to upgrade to 5; at least until the Apple servers get less swamped

Reinstalled 200+ apps. Had separate backups of msecure passwords and HandBase files. Contacts preserved in outlook. Had my photos on hard drive; still gotta reload videos. Lost safari bookmarks. Notes were safe in Evernote. Lost my iThoughts outlines as hadn't backed them up to dropbox It's like rebuilding my life.

If I sync to iCloud is it a complete picture if my phone so I can resurrect the mother if da s**t strikes again?
Sorry to hear bud

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
jaydoc1 said:
I will miss the native ability to customize the appearance of my handset and I will miss widgets. In reality widgets is the number one thing I will miss. That is maybe the one single thing that I believe Android does better than iOS.
I don't understand why widgets are so important. I'm really glad we finally have weather in the notifications area (stocks works there, too), but I don't see how other widgets are very useful or time-saving since they (widgets other than weather and stocks) have to be expanded and opening an app is just as easy. Widgets cause battery drain, too. Weather was the only one I wanted so I'm happy. I think I'd disable all the others if they were there.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I don't understand why widgets are so important. I'm really glad we finally have weather in the notifications area (stocks works there, too), but I don't see how other widgets are very useful or time-saving since they (widgets other than weather and stocks) have to be expanded and opening an app is just as easy. Widgets cause battery drain, too. Weather was the only one I wanted so I'm happy. I think I'd disable all the others if they were there.
My thoughts exactly Mindi... It's just as easy to open up an app, than it is to flip through all the widgets...