If you had the money, would you buy a $10k Apple Watch Edition?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chris, Feb 25, 2015.

?

If you had the money, would you buy a $10k Apple Watch Edition?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

There are different models of the Apple Watch. We know that pricing starts at $349, which is likely for the Sport model. The Apple Watch Edition is an entirely different story. It's crafted from 18-karat gold. For most people, the idea of dropping $10,000 or more on a watch sounds crazy. That being said, some can afford it. The high-end luxury watch market is thriving and 18-karat gold watches can easily approach $20k or more.

This is Apple's first foray into watch-making. Rather than being a traditional timepiece, it's a watch that will be replaced by new technology at some point. A diamond encrusted first generation iPhone is still a first generation iPhone, one that is outpaced by everything that came after it. Can the same be said about timepieces?

I have no doubt that people spend serious money on high-end watches. If you had disposable income that made a $10k watch purchase fairly easy, would you purchase the Apple Watch Edition.

Please take part in the poll. In addition, please post in the thread as to how you voted and why.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think the gold watch is going to cost anywhere near that much. My guess is $1200.

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

My username says it all as far as money goes.

If it was a watch that was very rare and hard to get, then sure I would. OK after now reading your message here, I'm curious how many people would get it. If they do I bet they won't wear it much. They'll keep it for prized possession.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You bring up a good point. If there are x number of Apple Watch Edition, that might make it more of a commodity.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Exactly. Although, Apple may try to sell them assuming high-end Apple fanatics will buy in to it.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I thought you were a college student?

Not many people would spend 10k on a gold Apple watch that will be outdated in one year. Even fewer would get it and then not even wear it much. If it were that expensive, those who bough it would WANT people to see it.

This watch is not going to be super rare or $10,000+. It will likely be around $1,200 and not terribly difficult to get. I really doubt it would be solid gold. I think it's just going to be gold plated. You'll need to find somewhere else to spend your millions. ;)

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Yes I'm a college student but one who has money still. You're quite possibly right though about it being outdated in a year, but could it be rare like the original iPhone? Not rare, wrong word. Popular as in someone would want to get their hands on it later on?

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

The first generation iPhone can be purchased for $50 on eBay. Here are my extended thoughts on purchasing a $10k Apple Watch.

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

"Apple plans to sell its own gold model of the smartwatch, called the Watch Edition, but it is only available in 18-karat yellow gold and rose gold. Apple has not announced pricing for the model, but some speculate it could cost upwards of $5,000."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102458902?__source=yahoo%257cfinance%257cheadline%257cheadline%257cstory&par=yahoo&doc=102458902

What I meant was a never used or opened first generation iPhone.

10. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I think you may be a bit low there. Many sites have calculated that it will have at least $850 of actual gold value (~30g). If that is the case, I don't see it coming in at anywhere near $1,200. I bet more than $3,000 given Apple's branding premium.

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

This will surely be gold plated, not solid gold, huge difference.

12. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Really? Do you think that Apple is going to simply gold plate their top-of-the-line watch? I suspect it will be a solid gold case. They are taking on the watch industry, not the tech industry. There are even people who suggest that Apple has already confirmed this. According to John Gruber at Daring Fireball "There should be no confusion on that last part. The Apple Watch Edition is solid 18-karat gold, not gold-plated. I confirmed this with Apple last week." While his statement may not carry that much weight, he composed an excellent article supporting his contention that the Apple Watch will be very expensive. http://daringfireball.net/2014/09/apple_watch
    I am betting it is going to be very pricey, but I could be wrong.

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Let me put it this way, thee is NO way Apple will mass produce a solid gold watch, the cost for millions of units is just prohibitive. Will you see an apple watch made of solid gold? Maybe but that will probably be after market geared toward celebrities and rich folks.

14. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

That is the problem I have with the this Apple Watch. It is still tech that will be outdated. It's not like buying a Rolex or Tag that will maintain and function quite well 15 years later. Three versions later your iPhone won't support it (if it is anything like Apple's iPhone support). Even if I had the cash I doubt I would spend it on that.

15. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Well, I guess we'll find out pretty soon. The event is just eight days away. By the way, did you read the article? I thought he made some solid arguments, especially about adding the safes to the Apple stores and adding jewelry store type security.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. I'm guessing it will be gold plated and reasonably priced (around $1200).

17. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Hey, I am not going to rule out a $1200 price tag, but why would Apple beef up store security and install safes for an item that cost less than most of their other products? Simply because of the size and easy concealment? I'm not sure what to think anymore.

18. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I read it, I'm not convinced but until the official announcement, it's anyone's guess :)

#18 liberated, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They don't have anything else in there that's made of gold. Most of the products in an Apple Store cost less than $1200. The only things in there that are worth more are computers. Macs are large and difficult to conceal.

20. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Personally I'm not a gold watch kind of guy. I'm all about stainless steel and diving watches. So I said no, I would not buy the gold Apple Watch even if I had Bill Gates money. The sports version - yeah, I'll probably have it.