If you own an iPad, will you get an iPad mini?

1. chris

chris Administrator Administrator

There are no shortage of iPad mini rumors, but the latest crop from Bloomberg, Wall Street Journal and known Apple insider John Gruber have me thinking this thing is definitely coming. As someone who owns an iPad, would you consider getting an iPad mini in addition to your current iPad? Would it replace your current iPad?

For the sake of discussion, let's say the price is sub-$250.

2. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist Silver

No sir. If anything, I wouldn't mind it being a little bigger. Maybe a screen size of an 8.5X11 piece of paper. Just because it would make not taking easier if it were actually the size of paper. :)

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Chancellor

Chancellor Member Bronze

Even though I Loved the smaller size, I'm very happy with my ipad3 and don't think it would be worth "x" bucks to change hehe. I guess I could sell my iPad and pocket the leftover cash from the mini.

5. fury

fury Evangelist Gold

I would jump on that like white on rice.

Somebody's gotta test the battery on that thing with grueling 12-hour gaming sessions. wink2.gif

6. iBoss

iBoss Contributor Bronze

Heck to the yes! One can never have to many iDevices! I use my iPad 3 a whole bunch and the mini will alleviate some of the usage.

7. owieh

owieh Contributor Bronze

For me it's a no. I was just given the "new iPad" and I can't seem to find much use for it. It's good for book reading, but that's about it for me.

8. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist Gold

For the first time ever - I would probably say no. I'm sure it will be a scaled down version of the iPad - and so I would have no use for it personally. My fiance on the other hand is a different story ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius Gold

I think the current iPad is the perfect size for a tablet. If I had no tablet at all, I'd pick the current iPad over a mini. I've checked out the Fire and the other Kindle, as well as a few 'droid tabs. Too small IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. chris

But would you grab a second one, a mini, if it were priced right.

11. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius Gold

Well, I'm just not sure what I'd use it for if I already have an iPad. I mean, what would be the advantage? I've got the iPhone if I'm out and about, and i have the an iPad in the house. I don't think I could justify the purchase no matter how cheap they price it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. chris

You bring up a good point. Not sure where I saw it, but someone made that very same point. Between iPad, iPhone --- there isn't much of a gap.

13. fury

fury Evangelist Gold

It really depends on what it does. Apple brought out the original iPad with the selling point being that it was far better at doing some key things than either a smartphone or a laptop. Not necessarily that they intended to compete with their own phones and laptops, but that they felt it could bring something unique and valuable to the medium screen market, which at the time was just made up of netbooks.

If they do the mini, they will not be doing it to fill some gap between the iPhone and the iPad. That's what Samsung does, filling their lines up with more and more screen sizes like the Galaxy 3.6, 4.0, 4.2, 4.3, 5.0, 5.3, 7.0, 7.7, 8.9, 10.1, etc. Apple won't play that game. They will've come up with some compelling thing that is better than both a 7" tablet and a giant smartphone, or better than a console and existing gaming handhelds, or perhaps better than a Kindle and a newspaper. Basically, better than something out there. Not necessarily in the same league as what Apple themselves have already done.

They aren't likely to just lower the screen size and run the same iPad apps. I think that small of a change would only be better for some games whose controls involve two thumbs on the screen at once at the same time as tilting the device itself. Real Racing 2 is fantastic on the big screen iPad because you just have to tilt, and only press generally anywhere on the screen if you need to brake. But some games, like Sky Gamblers or Galaxy On Fire 2, where I'm both tilting and having to reach buttons to shoot or target, I think just a slightly smaller screen might actually come in handy there.

If they run it at the old iPad 2 resolution of 1024x768, but keep the A5x chip for the quad core SGX543 graphics, they'll be able to have games that match the PS Vita in detail, effects, and framerate (since the GPUs are then roughly equivalent). On the iPad 3, the most detailed 3D games are either running at a lower than native resolution (Infinity Blade 2, Mass Effect, etc), or having to scale back the effects to keep the framerate up (N.O.V.A. 3, Modern Combat 3). So, I could see some value in having a smaller iPad that runs full effects at native resolution.

Also might be better for one-handed reading if it's light enough, but I'd think if they want to pimp that as one of its purposes for existing, they'd need the full retina display 2048x1536, which would negate the possibility of it performing better than the iPad 3 in gaming.

It might also be a platform for a new display technology they want to ramp up, but isn't ready for a 9.7" screen yet. Retina OLED? Retina IGZO? New amazing high-speed color e-ink? Any of those would probably be way more power efficient, thus giving it an advantage over the iPad 3 in battery life.

Naturally, none of us really knows what that special something would be, otherwise they'd be the ones in the kitchen cooking up the next big thing. I remember the years before the iPad, about all of the Apple tablet rumors, thinking "if it runs Mac OS X it will totally flop." It didn't occur to me that Apple would actually run a new OS on it, because my vision of it was anchored to what already existed in the Mac tablet space - the Axiotron ModBook which didn't really add much except for pen input, which was the same thing old Windows tablets did. But once I saw what they did with the iPad, it made perfect sense to me. They'll do something different than just running the same OS and UI in a slightly different form factor.

I'm not saying they won't be running iOS on it (that'd be pretty stupid at this point), only that all we have to base our speculative comparison on is what's out there now. Until Apple tells us, your guess is as good as mine as to how a 7.85" tablet would be better. They don't tend to do something that matches what's already out there, and that's why I'm pretty certain I'll be tempted to get it.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius Gold

I have the new iPad and I'm not looking to buy a smaller iPad, although I am considering a nexus 7 tablet so I can try out the Android ecosystem and not be locked down like a phone contract.

15. patrickj

patrickj Genius Gold

^^^ Great points, great post.

Oops, Alex got a post in while I was typing. My comment above refers to Fury's post.

16. imutter

imutter Genius Gold

Looks like this is a sure thing
    It is made to compete with low price fire and the new nexus 7 and etc
    We got the kindle fire and while we use it we would use it more if we had our iTunes content on it
    We have invested over the years so much on apps books music and what not digital content why would we switch
    Apple needs to get the device to more people and only can do it by lowering the price
    Anyway would I get the mini ?
    Yes and no ? I would if it has all the bell and whistles of the new iPad except need no camera in back for that I need a better front glass. I got iPad 2 and I would have preferred a smaller size just to fit it better in a purse/handbag. The scratch/shatter proof is a must for me
    Price I'd pay as much as the new iPad
    But I guess the mini will be most likely not what I want so at this point I wait for what happens next year ? Hopefully some more customization on size and specs?
    But then the price may just be tempting not to get one

17. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius Gold

I have absolutely no businesss buying an iPad Mini. I'll pass. My $ must be saved for the next iPhone and the next regular sized iPad. I never owned a Nook or an e-reader as I read my books on my iPad. The weight and size of it does not bother me.

If I had extra $ I would buy one for my Niece who is 6. It would be the right size for her and be a benefit if it is a smaller mirror image of the current iPad. But Alas, I cannot afford the additional expense no matter how cheap.

18. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius Gold

7 inches is too small for me. Maybe for the kids.

19. Prozium12

Prozium12 Member Bronze

no. can't understand Apple going down the smaller iPad route, if it's true Steve jobs didn't want it, the iPad is small enough.. Apple shouldn't copy Samsung they should creat a new tablet...

20. glsda

glsda Zealot Gold

I pretty much agree with Hondamaker. I have my iPhone for on the go and the iPad when not. I never say never but probably never to the purchase of a mini. :)

21. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot Gold

I'd get one and sell my kindle fire. I like the more compact size of it. iPad=too big in my opinion. iPhone 4=too small. Hopefully they will get it right soon.