iFob: App Helps You Find / Connect with iPhone Users Nearby

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
iFob seems a pretty fun idea for 'social networking in the real world' - it helps you find and connect with other iPhone / Touch / iFob users nearby, on the same WiFi network.

So when you're at a public place it can give you sound and visual alerts of other iFobbers around you. You can chat via the program, give away nearly nothing about yourself, or set name / tagline / profile pic / gender etc. if you like. There's no sign-up, no website to go to, just install the app and start looking for other iFobbers at your local coffee shops.

I tried it tonight on 1.1.3 and it seems to work well - just couldn't find any other iFobbers yet at an Austin Starbucks :)

It's on Installer now - to get latest version that works with 1.1.3 (iFob Version 1.41) add their Installer source: ifob.icloseby.com.

More details on the app's features, screenshots etc. HERE ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
unfortunately, i have yet to see another jailbroken iPhone. i can't see this app being useful. I'd say maybe down the road, but i think the casual jailbreaker will be lost after the SDK.

cool idea, but it only works if a LOT of people have it.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
unfortunately, i have yet to see another jailbroken iPhone. i can't see this app being useful. I'd say maybe down the road, but i think the casual jailbreaker will be lost after the SDK.

cool idea, but it only works if a LOT of people have it.
All very true. I think I'll keep it around for a while, just as a sort of (thus far quite boring and uneventful) test ...

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Does the program have to be running in order for you to be "reachable"? For example, if you have the program installed but your in safari browsing the web will you show up to other iFob users or do you have to have that program active at the time?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Reminds me of "Bark Mode" on Nintendogs. Same concept really, you're notified when someone else is in range who is searching for more users.

Apps like this always work better in schools/universities, you're more prone to finding people willing to take the plunge.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Reminds me of "Bark Mode" on Nintendogs. Same concept really, you're notified when someone else is in range who is searching for more users.

Apps like this always work better in schools/universities, you're more prone to finding people willing to take the plunge.
But ALOT and I mean ALOT of people had DSs and Nintendogs back then.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
It seems like it's a cool concept, but the odds of finding anyone else keep dwindling as you think about it. they need an iPhone, be using it, jailbroken, on wifi, have iFob.

:(

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
It seems like it's a cool concept, but the odds of finding anyone else keep dwindling as you think about it. they need an iPhone, be using it, jailbroken, on wifi, have iFob.

Well there goes my chances of finding you. I'll just look for the guy jamming out on Drummer. :laugh2:

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
That's the problem right now - I've kept it installed but have not yet come across another iPhone when I remember to turn it on at Starbucks and similar places ...
But if the other person doesn't have the program, even if you see them with an iPhone, you wont see them in iFob? Is that correct?

Nevermind - I didn't see this post before I commented.