iLive travel speaker & dock do-dad

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Anyone else using this? Just picked one up from Sears with gift cards I got at X-mas. Sounds pretty good for it's size, and uses rechargeable batteries. Got it for camping mostly, nice and small. Says it's Touch friendly on the site, so I assume it's ok to use with my iPhone? No problems yet, even can sync through it. Whatcha think?

http://www.ilive.net/product_details.php?pr_id=59

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I didn't see anywhere on their site or packaging that its iPhone compatible. But please keep us posted and let us know how well it works/doesn't work for you.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Anyone else using this? Just picked one up from Sears with gift cards I got at X-mas. Sounds pretty good for it's size, and uses rechargeable batteries. Got it for camping mostly, nice and small. Says it's Touch friendly on the site, so I assume it's ok to use with my iPhone? No problems yet, even can sync through it. Whatcha think?

http://www.ilive.net/product_details.php?pr_id=59

Just make sure that the charging unit is 5V for the iPhone.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I didn't see anywhere on their site or packaging that its iPhone compatible. But please keep us posted and let us know how well it works/doesn't work for you.
If you look in FAQ's , it says it's touch compatible. Same as iPhone, right? I couldn't find anywhere were it listed specs on it's charging circuit. It doesn't actually charge the phone unless it's plugged into AC anyhow.

http://www.ilive.net/faqdt.php#6

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Alright, just checked the charging voltage with a volt-meter. This thing charges on the firewire 12v pins, but only outputs 9v (ac adapter only outputs 9v to the unit. From what I have read, the iPhone likes the 5v input (which is a totally different pin in the connector), correct? I have used this thing to charge my phone multiple times now, and it is not getting hot or anything. It seems odd to me that if charging the iPhone with more than 5V damages the battery, why would they even allow the 12v pins to even do anything inside the phone?

I may end up keeping this, and only using it on battery power. It does not attempt to charge the phone when running on batteries. Or I may take it back and wait for a "compatible with iPhone" speaker set-up. Just seems like it's taking forever for any approved accessories to come out.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Alright, just checked the charging voltage with a volt-meter. This thing charges on the firewire 12v pins, but only outputs 9v (ac adapter only outputs 9v to the unit. From what I have read, the iPhone likes the 5v input (which is a totally different pin in the connector), correct? I have used this thing to charge my phone multiple times now, and it is not getting hot or anything. It seems odd to me that if charging the iPhone with more than 5V damages the battery, why would they even allow the 12v pins to even do anything inside the phone?

I may end up keeping this, and only using it on battery power. It does not attempt to charge the phone when running on batteries. Or I may take it back and wait for a "compatible with iPhone" speaker set-up. Just seems like it's taking forever for any approved accessories to come out.

Yes that is the fact. Also Apple says not to use the iPod connection charger on the iPhone, and several members here have made that mistake, so that is why I flagged the 5V because of past experience.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I mean to say do not use iPods charger etc. on the iPhone.

Gotcha. You also said that the touch charges with a different voltage? The touch, iPhone and the classics all have the same battery (voltage-wise anyway, 3.7v). How is it that they can take the 12v then?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Gotcha. You also said that the touch charges with a different voltage? The touch, iPhone and the classics all have the same battery (voltage-wise anyway, 3.7v). How is it that they can take the 12v then?

Oh you think so. Well let me go back and check with Steve Jobs wife and see what she has to say then..............ahctoG