iLive vicariously through my cousin...new member of the iMac cult!

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
My cousin bought an iPod touch last night, and it came with an iMac :p

For years, she has dealt with my hand-me-down PCs that I no longer used, and every single one of them has given her nothing but trouble (I suppose that's because of my bad luck...I have the opposite of the midas touch with regards to PCs!)

She finally gave in after her third computer pushed her over the edge, and she bought a fresh new iMac upon recommendations from myself and one of her co-workers. She now has the 2.66ghz 20" iMac, with 2 gigs of RAM and 320 gig hard drive, and used her educational discount to get $100 off of it, as well as the $300 rebate form for the iPod touch.

I was so excited, cause I got to take her there, and carry it into my car, so it felt like I was taking it home for myself! Suffice it to say, I'm probably going to hang out there a little more :p especially when she actually gets broadband internet hooked up. (She's still stuck on dialup! The frakkin iMac doesn't come with a dialup modem anymore...so THAT'S how they make it so small :p gonna have to look into USB modems now)

Took pictures of the occasion... because, of course, the experience wouldn't be complete without the memories. What other kind of computer do you ever actually want to remember unboxing?

Checking out the iPod first... unfortunately, you can't play with it out of the box! Silly Apple...

Oh, alright, I guess we can open the iMac now.

Umm, I think they shorted me a piece...where's the tower?...wait, what? That IS the computer?

The new family

Taking off the iCondom

It's aLIIIIIVE!

She has never had such a relatively fast, easy, working machine, and she was so excited how fast it got her songs put into iTunes after she found them, and how quickly they got uploaded to her iPod touch. I'm so excited there's a Mac in the family that I get to work on (And probably get to be the one that it gets pawned off on after it's old and decrepit, instead of the other way around). And her daughter is probably so excited that there's a new shiny thing to break!

VALET dude

Bronze
Oct 16, 2007
Las Vegas
tell her congrats on the pick up. i have the same iMac and i love it!

also, you are in the wrong section of the forum. this is the iPhone 3G :p

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Damn, I thought for sure I was posting into off topic!

Sorry about that.

Would be cool if we could move our own threads so that we wouldn't have to bug a mod for some help. :)

Webby

Jun 5, 2008
The iMac is simply beautiful. I wish I woul have gotten one, but I am happy with my macbook.:cool:

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I got the same imac about a month ago. With the ipod touch, free printer, and $100 off. (I'm a teacher). There was also a discount on Applecare.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Damn, I thought for sure I was posting into off topic!

Sorry about that.

Would be cool if we could move our own threads so that we wouldn't have to bug a mod for some help. :)
we also have an iMac forum.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Very awesome! I remember how happy I was when I unboxed my MBA. Much better than any of the PCs I unboxed.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
we also have an iMac forum.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if that was the right place to put it, since it came with an iPod touch and that is getting way more attention at the moment, especially from her daughter :laugh2:

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
Very cool. Getting and iPhone got me back into Apple again. A few years ago I went from an original iMac to a Dell. A few months after getting my iPhone though, I went and got a shiny new aluminum iMac and I'll never go back to a PC.

Haruk

Jul 7, 2008
too bad when it's soon outdated, she won't be able to swap components
really only people totally computer illiterate would have so much trouble with a PC not saying macs suck but i definitely don't think they're home computers, especially considering you can build a computer thats way better for a fraction of the cost

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
...i definitely don't think they're home computers...

...you can build a computer thats way better for a fraction of the cost
those are two contradictory statements. people in the market for a "home" computer, are NOT the kind of people that are going to build a computer.

anyway, the PC vs Mac discussion is old. Use what works for you, and let it be.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
too bad when it's soon outdated, she won't be able to swap components
really only people totally computer illiterate would have so much trouble with a PC not saying macs suck but i definitely don't think they're home computers, especially considering you can build a computer thats way better for a fraction of the cost
That isn't really true anymore, with vendors all getting their parts in mass quantities. PCs are great for customizability, but you also end up being on your own as far as support most of the time.

I have been a long time user, maintainer, builder, and breaker of PCs, and right now, buying an Apple is just a really smart choice. Computers get outdated all the time, it's a fact of life and is not limited to Apples. Neither is upgrading limited in only iMacs. Small form factor computers and most notebooks come to mind...but people still buy them for whatever reason.

Style, portability/mobility, utility, future upgradability, integration, features... they're all legitimate reasons to consider when buying a computer, and in this case, the decision was made based on the all-in-one design, significantly faster components in the iMac, and how well everything plays along with it.

Starting out with a 400mhz K6-2 with 128mb of RAM, then going to a 933mhz P3 tablet PC with 1 gig after that one died, and then getting stuck with all I had left, a 450mhz P3 with 64mb of RAM (she bought a $20 pair of 256mb sticks just to get the thing to boot up quicker than, literally, 10 minutes...) left her with not much of a leg to stand on. Combine that with dialup, and taking classes online, so HAVING to use the thing through all of its slowness, instability, and old hardware that's wearing out, and I do believe if it were not for her coursework, she would have sledgehammered it. I know I would.

Anything out there today would beat what she had before, but she didn't want to ever have to deal with a frustrating experience like that of old, decrepit, failing hardware again. What would you do? Continue with the path of cheap PCs, or go with a proven system that is on the rise in the market and comes with the best support available? You can just walk into an Apple store with your broken product, and they fix it up. One does not simply walk into Microsoft, Dell, HP, or Lenovo, because they're just not set up to support things on that level.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I've had so many bad experiences with the so-called Geek Squad that I wouldn't really even call that an answer to the lack of support.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
As I stated before. Once you go Mac, You never go back...Mark:laugh2:

...i definitely don't think they're home computers...

...you can build a computer thats way better for a fraction of the cost

You are right my friend, but it's not a Mac that's the difference...Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I've had so many bad experiences with the so-called Geek Squad that I wouldn't really even call that an answer to the lack of support.
The Geek Squad should be called the Pimp Squad. The only thing the Geek Squad masters is selling people things they don't need. I think it is a shame the way they take advantage of less than savvy computer buyers.

I very seldom shop at Best Buy because of their lack of morals when it comes to up selling. Why are you charging grandma (on a fixed income) 40 bucks to install a disk when she just bought a computer from you? I have seen so many unsuspecting computer purchasers raked over the coal by Best Buy. Talking people into high priced antivirus and spyware applications (that could otherwise be obtained for free). Then they have the nerve to charge for installation...Sad, Sad, Sad...Mark

BestBuy's Business Model = Exploitation of the Unknowing = Huge Profits

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, i didn't want to start a huge BBY bashing... suffice to say i work there and completely disagree with your pessimistic view of the place. Granted, there ARE bad Apples, but that's true in whatever businesss you wanna talk about.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
well, i didn't want to start a huge BBY bashing... suffice to say i work there and completely disagree with your pessimistic view of the place. Granted, there ARE bad Apples, but that's true in whatever businesss you wanna talk about.
I'm not arguing with you nor trying to put down your place of employment. You know if you work at BB that is their sales practice. I have seen it executed all over the country, in my opinion it is wrong, but hey
that's just my opinion...Mark

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Congrats to your cousin. Our next desktop will be an iMac. It looks sooo good! My kids love to play on the iMacs when we visit the Apple store.

Thanks for sharing the unboxing photos. I love to live vicariously.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I think their only problem is they're not picky enough about the people they hire, and end up getting a lot of people working there that don't actually want to. I encountered those people most of the time, that only wanted an employee discount, or thought too highly of themselves than to work minimum wage at a restaurant. An impatient sigh whenever I brought my Gateway tablet PC in, which hadn't worked from the moment I bought it, and general difficulty in getting them to just go through the process of setting up the repair. I'd have to get a manager most of the time, because I'd hear every corporate-fed cop-out in the book, like "well, I can't really say that's broken, so there's nothing I can do for you" despite me flaunting the $360 product rip-off plan and the system clearly not working (e.g. the tablet pen not responding at all). I even had one guy that knew absolutely nothing about tablet PCs, or possibly computers in general; I had to point out the tablet pen to him and he looked at me funny, as I had to take it out and hand it to him. He proceeded to drag the pen across the touchpad. :facepalm: There were a few good guys and gals there, for sure, and I was lucky to get one of them when I finally had to turn it in for the fourth time and get some of my money back. I just think they're not given any incentive to do a really good job, so you only get the decent service from the people who want to be there.

The shopping, buying, taking home, and opening of my cousin's iMac was so much better than anything I've ever gotten at Best Buy. And the support at the genius bar...I've witnessed so many people while on my many trips to service my iPhone, ranging from broken Macs to somebody who shattered their iPhone screen...they all got so much a warmer reception than I've ever seen at any other support desk. And there was the occasional disgruntled, unreasonable customer, and the manager would own them without so much as dropping the smile on their face or raising their voice. Every single one of them wanted to work there, and it really showed. So much that I'd even tip them, if I carried cash.

This is kinda still on topic, right? :p