I'll get the 3G iPhone if....

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
.... it can be jailbroken so that orb live or slingplayer mobile will work on it. Watching live TV on orblive over EDGE is pretty bad. But it looks awesome over Wi-Fi. And being that 3G speeds are close to Wi-Fi, this would be the only reason I would get the 3G iPhone. Does anybody remember how long it took the first iPhone to be jailbroken?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The first iPhone - not long, but for the first several weeks the processes required to jailbreak were very complicated, not like the one-click methods. And between new software and new hardware, we the jailbreaking community may be back where it started, or it may not be.

Either way, it's also possible for an app like OrbLive to come out via the AppStore.

- John

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Cant Orb be used through your browser? I don't think you need a special program for it, at least thats how I remember it on my WinMo phone.

Shakes

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
North West Indiana
www.digitaljargon.com
Yeah you will be able to use Orb on day one since it just accessed via the web browser. There is also an official SlingPlayer client in development that will be purchasable from the App Store and will not require a jailbroken iPhone.

Iphonehead

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
Yeah you will be able to use Orb on day one since it just accessed via the web browser. There is also an official SlingPlayer client in development that will be purchasable from the App Store and will not require a jailbroken iPhone.

that's if Apple allows sling to release the program.....its more likely they'll consider it a "bandwidth hog" and kill the idea.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
And being that 3G speeds are close to Wi-Fi...
Man, the more I see this, the more worried I am about the backlash around here on July 11th.

It's gonna be much closer to Edge than it is to Wifi...

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
I don't know, I believe Jobs said it so either both Apple and ATT care or at the very least, ATT cares
Its a native app, so I'm sure they could disable it without a WiFi connection.

Granted, that severly gimps the programs worth, but I could see it still being good for airports and whatnot.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Man, the more I see this, the more worried I am about the backlash around here on July 11th.

It's gonna be much closer to Edge than it is to Wifi...
I fear the same as well. Theoretical speeds of 1.4 mbps mean nothing in the real world.