Illegal? or just frowned upon?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bigeek

Jul 12, 2007
Does the process of loading these third-party apps your iPhone break any laws? or does is it just invalidate your warranty and so on?

My initial thoughts on it are: No, no laws are being broken. Then again, what do I know?

jedibugs

Jul 26, 2007
If you're installing the NES emulator, then there might be some law-breaking by installing the ROMs for the games, as they are copyrighted works. This is, legally speaking, piracy. Of course, if you have the original cartriges from the NES system or if you've bought the Virtual Console Downloads for the Wii, then installing the ROMs would pretty much count as Fair Use.

As far as whether installing things on the iPhone in general, you are neither breaking laws NOR voiding your warantee. As it's all software changes and as you can always do a full restore to factory settings, no one at Apple need ever know you've done anything. just don't mess with the hardware.

bigeek

Jul 12, 2007
I think you can break copyright laws by loading any content you don't own (mp3's and movies you didn't buy). And that's on a stock iPhone.