I'm a believer, now signal issues

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I still cannot for the life of me understand this statement. I hear it over and over, and it makes less sense to me every time I hear it.
It's human nature. People will complain. Watch and see. It's a phenomena. The software change isn't going to "fix" anything. People will come here and complain that the software update "didn't fix my dropped calls" and "now my bars are all over the place". Bwhahahaha. No kidding!

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
Has anyone that's having problems tried a restore and setting the phone up as a new phone? I had issues like described earlier and originally I set my phone up off of a backup from my 3GS. My 3G wouldn't work half the time, speaker phone didn't work, calls dropped all the time, call quality was horrible, and when someone called me...it wouldn't connect half the time. Did a restore as a new phone and it fixed everything.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Yes several of us that I know of set our phones up as new. I did mine that way because my 3GS was jailbroken and I didn't want any traces moved over. Since iday I have restored as new a 2nd time just to see if reception would get better. To no avail.

As for not caring how many bars are showing as long as you get reception there are 2 problems with that. First AT&T has drummed the more bars in more places into our heads and second, most people seeing 3 bars will believe that the clarity of their call would be better on 5 bars! House phones = cable TV & Cell phones = rabbit ear antenna TV! With rabbit ears you don't stop adjusting when you can see and hear you keep fine tuning till you get it as clear as possible!

dawiyo

Bronze
Dec 2, 2007
Bel Air, MD
www.pier23studio.com
Wait the reception goes down? :D

You mean, when I have any device with an antenna that when I cover it's line of sight communication with the satellite that I'm going to see a drop in performance? It's an outrage! Angry mob time!

Has everyone forgotten the days of radios with two metal antennas and having to move them one millimeter to the left to get that signal just perfect so you could tape songs off the radio? Remember when other cell phones have done the same thing for the past 15 years?

Stick a 3GS underneath your leg for a couple minutes. Guess what, I bet it has no reception. Walk into a metal freezer at a liquor store. Bye bye reception! Hello Heineken!

Jul 9, 2010
Sit Tight for what?

Just sit tight for a little bit there buddy!
I can tell you that a software update is NOT going to fix the antenna problem. A hardware flaw, which is what this issue is, cannot be fixed in software.

One thing you can wait for is, the complaints that will occur once the update does come out and nobody, regardless of how strong a 3G signal area they are in, can get full bars. I predict that this will be one of the biggest complaints after the update.

Omegaman

Jul 9, 2010
It's human nature. People will complain. Watch and see. It's a phenomena. The software change isn't going to "fix" anything. People will come here and complain that the software update "didn't fix my dropped calls" and "now my bars are all over the place". Bwhahahaha. No kidding!
You are correct, they will, and with very good reason. This antenna issue is not going to be fixed in software. Although there may be some improvement in the signal by playing tricks with how the phone communicates with the tower, the antenna issue will still be there.

I guess some people are not old enough to remember rabbit ears on TVs (back before there was such as thing as a cell phone), which if just touched by a human hand would cause the TV reception to be loss, usually completely. Having the antennas on the outside right where people naturally hold it and touch them, is exactly the same thing. Even worse is the fact that two different antennas can be shorted together with the hand.

One thing you are a little off on is the complaint after the update of the bars being all over the place. The complaint will be - I am in a extremely strong 3G area, where my other phone xyz has full 5 bars and never drops calls. The iPhone 4 will show only 3 bars, and I still get dropped calls. The complaint is going to be that it is not possible any longer to get full (five bars), where it did have 5 bars before the update. Apple's response will be something like this - Your iPhone 4 is now, with the update, displaying a much more accurate indication of the real cellular signal that you are receiving. If you feel that you are not getting as strong or as good a signal as you should, we suggest you contact AT&T's service department. Would you like me to connect to to AT&T's support group? But, wait, my other phone xyz gets 5 bars always? Well, it is likely that your xyz phone is reporting an inaccurate indication of the true signal. But, wait, it never drops calls and my iPhone 4 drops them all the time, in the exact same location. Well, how are you holding the iPhone 4? Do you have a case on that phone? All phones, when held in a certain way will have a degraded signal. Try holding the phone toward the top, without touching the slit on the bottom left corner. If you have a case, is it metal? Metal cases can degrade signal as well. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Omegaman

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
You mean, when I have any device with an antenna that when I cover it's line of sight communication with the satellite that I'm going to see a drop in performance?
There is no satellite involved in a cell phone's radio signal path. There are sat phones - like Iridium - which do have external antennae similar to walkie talkies (and you don't touch them).

ZAT

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
It may very well end up being a total hardware issue as its the first time that we have had an exposed antenna on the iPhone in an area where you can cover it, ground it out, even make a connection to another antenna ie the wifi or bt antennae. Which is probably why some people are seeing improvements with the bumpers.

Even with that stated you may be able to cure existing phones problems to a certain extent via a software update. You can tweak how the antennae are prioritized, how much power you use on the voice antenna... One of the things that came to my mind is that the power consumption on the phone was pretty low ie higher battery life with from what I understand not a significantly bigger battery. To me that means better power management. If Apple did I fact miscalculate the power needed to generate reliable communication with a tower then a software update will help. In this instance the miscalculation isn't the amount of power needed for the link but the fact that people can occlude the antennae.

dawiyo

Bronze
Dec 2, 2007
Bel Air, MD
www.pier23studio.com
There is no satellite involved in a cell phone's radio signal path. There are sat phones - like Iridium - which do have external antennae similar to walkie talkies (and you don't touch them).
I should have put quotes around satellite. I'm not talking about just cell phones. I mean any device that communicates wirelessly with another device.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
When I first got my iPhone 4 I was thinking it just read less bars than my wifes 3GS but now I'm a believer in worse signal! My 3G kicks off or doesn't work at all unless I set it down or hold it landscaped with my fingers wrapped around it that's even with my ifrogz case! I'll admit my 3G signal is weak at work but I never had a problem with my 3GS! Thinking return cause I don't think an update is fixing this one!
I have had the opposite experience. The range of my signal is much stonger. I used to drop calls with my 3G all the time at my home. Not one dropped call with the iPhone 4. One thing you may want to try. Take your sim card out and do a hard reset. Once your phone has rebooted, put your sim card back in. See if that helps. I have also heard some people having luck doing a network settings reset

jj903

Jun 12, 2010
AUSTIN TX
Wow I'm not sure what the real issue here is but I can say I have not dropped one call since I got my iPhone 4 on the 6th of July. I have better reception in my house and at work then I ever had with my 3GS. I can hold my phone anywhere, anyway and the signal strength stays the same. In fact I had the AT&T app for reporting dropped calls and used it almost daily on my 3GS. With the 4 I haven't fired it up once. With a ton of people having trouble I don't think it's a software issue, sounds more like a batch of bad hardware? Just my option.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
batch of bad hardware
With the wild swings of user reports I'm starting to wonder about this as being a possibility too! Hmph.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
I mean any device that communicates wirelessly with another device.
Well, the vast majority of wireless devices are not limited to "line of sight" either.

I wonder if bridging the two antennae (WiFi and Cellular) with the hand causes the now relatively large amount of energy from the WiFi transmitter to de-sense the cellular receiver. If this is the case then turning off WiFi should mitigate the issue to a large extent. Has anyone tried this?