i'm a total bastard.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
So... after working 10+ hours today, I decided to stop off at a Redbox to pick up Cloverfield. It was right on my way home, so I just stopped by. This was around 9pm tonight. So I get there, and, of course, there are four people in line in front of me (two of which were a couple). So, I pull out my iPhone and check my email, and pull up my forums, etc... meanwhile the person at the box is taking forever (naturally), and the couple start discussing what movies they want to get... btw, don't you think you'd have that figured out beforehand?

Anyway, so they're debating between Juno and Cloverfield... the guy wanted Cloverfield, and the girl wanted Juno. At this point I became irritated with myself for not reserving one online before I went, recently the box had been short on the movies I wanted to see.

So as I was standing there surfing, it dawned on me. I pulled up safari, went to redbox.com, found that they had Cloverfield in stock, and rented it right there.

Turns out the couple finally settle on cloverfield, and after another ten minutes waiting for the other people in line, they go up and, wouldn't you know... they don't have any Cloverfields. The guy was bummed, but they did have Juno. So they got that.

And i got my Cloverfield.

iPhone FTW.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
That's awesome. My only slight disappointment with this is that you didn't rent Juno too, just for grins. And then maybe hang around a little longer and rent whatever their next fallback choice was. And then ...:laugh2:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hehe. i felt bad enough about what i did... major bad kharma points there.

woulda been funny, though.

Cloverfield was pretty excellent too.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Too evil for an Apple ad, but I love it and it is truly worthy.

Juno's a great movie. Haven't seen McShakeypants.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
first of all, Juno is an AMAZING movie.
i love it so much that i actually bought it (im not into seeing movies more than once)

that is def. on of my favorite movies.

haven't seen cloverfield but ive heard bad things. i might see it eventually

H

Hayesimus

That's it?! I was like, Oh... this is gettin GOOD lol. I thought you were gonna say something rude to the couple. Honestly. I'm pretty nice and easy going until you do something like that. Act stupid. Like when people would come up to me at the movie store I worked at and say,"Any good ones?" To which i really really wanted to say,"I don't watch movies..." I mean look around first! Or this other guy would bring up a stack of 10 movies to the counter and then chat with us and finally narrow it down to about 3. So then i have to reshelve the others! That was annoying. But that guy was pretty cool otherwise, and he died last year so now i kinda feel like a jerk... :S

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
That is the best iPhone story yet.

However, I've never heard of "Redbox" (obviously a non-local movie rental).

Do they have all the movies behind the counter or something?

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
That is the best iPhone story yet.

However, I've never heard of "Redbox" (obviously a non-local movie rental).

Do they have all the movies behind the counter or something?
it looks like this

and basically you sell your soul to watch movies for a dollar

they have them at almost every mcdonalds around me

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
it looks like this

and basically you sell your soul to watch movies for a dollar

they have them at almost every mcdonalds around me
INCREDIBLE.

I may have seen something similar in ATL once or twice, but I don't think I've seen a "red box".

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
think of it as a DVD vending machine. $1/day, and you can return to any location. there's a slit that the DVDs come out of, and you just stick it back in when you want to return it.

mcdonalds and grocery stores have them around me.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
think of it as a DVD vending machine. $1/day, and you can return to any location. there's a slit that the DVDs come out of, and you just stick it back in when you want to return it.

mcdonalds and grocery stores have them around me.

redbox + handbrake = awesomeness.
Ohh, looks like you have a system worked out there!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
This would make for a great Apple "Darkside" Ad campaign. Pair this story with a catchy song and you've got yourself gold. I haven't tried RedBox yet but they just put one in the McD's by my house so I might have to give it a try. $1 is a sweet deal.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
Haha great story that must have been hilarious