I'm an Android user - iPhone or iPad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by James Reckitt, Feb 28, 2012.

?

Based on my requirements, iPhone or 3G iPad?

1. iPhone

33.3%
  2. 3G iPad

66.7%
  3. 50,000 penny sweets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Reckitt

James Reckitt New Member

Hi guys - not sure if this is posted in the right place, but here goes...

My 18th is rapidly approaching, and I've decided I want to invest in an iDevice, and wanted some advice from users before I part with my hard-earned! I'm currently the (not-so-proud) owner of an underpowered budget Android handset I picked up last summer, and am looking for a portable device that's more portable than my Thinkpad for general use (eg. emails, calendar, tasks, web browsing, news apps, Angry Birds, the occasional magazine in Newsstand etc.) either to replace or compliment my existing handset.

So I'm torn between the iPhone and 3G iPad. As far as I can see, what the iPhone offers over my current handset is a far superior experience in terms of speed, dependability, ease of use etc. and what the iPad offers is a better experience even than that, but with the tradeoff of less portability.

My concern is that I'll never use an iPad because it's never with me (or because I have my Thinkpad in a bag instead) so won't see the benefit of my investment - or the data plan bill! Needless to say I'd use it almost every night at home on the sofa...

Any thoughts/recommendations on how they stack up in real life?

(Portability is of primary interest.)

Thanks in advance!

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Tough call. Based on where we are from a launch perspective, I might lean towards the iPad. If the iPad 3 or 2S is released shortly after next week's March 7th iPad event, then you are able to get the latest and greatest. Plus, I'm guessing you are in contract. By delaying a move to an iPhone, you can work off that agreement and have a better chance of a subsidy when moving to an iPhone 5.

Yet another option would be to take advantage of everyone selling off their first/second gen iPads and also get an iPhone. That's assuming you will be able to get a full subsidy. Not sure what an iPad 1 will cost, but it's gotta go down a bit with the launch of the newer model.

#2 chris, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Chris brings up some valid points. I would opt for a new iPhone and if funding permits, a used iPad. With the announcement right around the corner, you will be seeing a lot of ipad1 & 2's going at a decent price.

4. James Reckitt

James Reckitt New Member

Thanks for the quick replies!

Sadly I'm on PAYG Chris - not overly fond of the contract/network commitment trap! I hadn't even considered the used market until you and RoofMonkey mentioned it, so I shall do some investigating - funding might just stretch to cover both at a push, either now with a new iPhone and used iPad, or new iPad now and used iPhone when the 5 is released later in the year.

Out of the two, which do you find you use more frequently for the stuff I would use it for?

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I use both daily, but I use my iPhone much more often.
    Love my iPad (1) but seem to use my phone 95% of the time.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I definitely use my iPhone more. From having it with me on the go, to grabbing it around the house to check email, it gets more use than my iPad.

I use the iPad for Twitter, Facebook and some late night browsing. I'm on my computer all day, so it really doesn't have a place.

The iPad is a tweener. It's that in-between phone and laptop device.

7. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Agreed here except I prefer my iPad to the iPhone. I use them 80/20, iPad/iPhone. I usually only use my iPhone when out and about.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

8. My-phone

My-phone Member
    Bronze

I use my iPad 2 for graduate studies. We use it instead of textbooks and was part of the package. Thusly, I am on it a great deal of time because of school work. I usually take it with me when I'm out and about. I more than likely would have bought an Android device if I had to spend my own money for it. I prefer Android devices over Apple. With that being said, because I have an iPad, I have gotten used to the OS. I bought an iPhone because of the problems I was having with my Droid X2. Whether you get an iPhone or iPad, you have to deal with iTunes. I knew that going in and I am regretting the switch to the iPhone.

You have to look at what you are going to be doing. I cannot see writing an essay on an iPhone, but I can on my iPad. Both devices have their places.

9. DigitalAtrophe

DigitalAtrophe New Member

I'd go for the iPad. I have both but I was originally an Android owner.

Coming from Android I find the iPhone "phone" services a little less seamless in that they're basically apps and are seen as such from a user experience where as my EVO 4G seemed to have more integrated texting and phone services. If you use Google Voice it's even more integrated than with the iPhone. Plus you have more 4G options if you have, or will have 4G in your area.

You can integrate Google Voice with your iPhone if you jailbreak it but I've found it to be very quirky and will probably un-jailbreak it, go back to stock, and just live with the lack of Google voice integration on the iPhone.

Right now, the iPad is the best tablet you can get and it will probably remain that way for awhile. I'm not saying it is a productive device by any means but practically every Android tablet I've looked at seems to lag. Apps seemed to be more customized for the resolution on the iPad as well compared to Android tablets at this point in time.

10. My-phone

My-phone Member
    Bronze

This is the basic difference between the Apple repositories and those of Android. Apple doesn't release apps on the App Store until is is tested and meets 'their' standards. Apps for the Android devices do not go through the same testing. Some as downright harmful to your device. To get things from the 'wild' on an iPad, you have to jailbreak it first.

11. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Grab an iPhone 4S.

12. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

What he ^^^^^ said.
    :D

13. Inkncraig

Inkncraig New Member

14. |3are

|3are Member
    Silver

Not that this isn't a post and run, but regarding the OP's main concern (portability):

I don't yet have my iPad, but two of my family members have them. I recently spent time with my dad around the holidays at Disney World and was pretty astonished at how he carried his iPad 1 around with him everywhere.

Whenever we got on a ride, he'd just stick it in those pouches they have as best he could and hold on tight. He even brought it along on one of those water raft rides where everything gets wet. He stuck it under this plexiglass container they have in the middle of the raft. To be fair, I stuck my iPhone there, as well, but still, it's impressive just how portable he made that thing.

I plan on treating mine basically the same way. I want something I can keep with me most of the time that can do web browsing, emailing, Facebook, etc., but I'm getting sick and tired of dealing with this 3.5 inch screen. I'm sure having my new iPad will be a delight, and plenty portable.

15. My-phone

My-phone Member
    Bronze

In the circumstances above, I would be cautious about carrying either an iPhone or iPad. I sure wouldn't take my iPad with me. I guard my iPhone like it was stolen chocolate candy. I just don't feel comfortable with it because I'm afraid I'll break it.

If one is definitely going to be needing something for businesss travel where a lot of typing might be involved, an iPad 3G would be the choice. If net connectivity isn't so much an issue then you wouldn't need the 3G just the wifi.

16. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

IMO only people that are concerned about other people knowing they have an iPad carry it around everywhere.

17. |3are

|3are Member
    Silver

Definitely not the case with my dad. He's well beyond the point in his life where being "cool" is an end he strives to achieve. In other words, he doesn't give a crap what other people think. Case in point, he drives a station wagon. It's nice, but it's also no Porsche Panamera.

Plus, this is about the OP's needs. What other people think of you carrying around your iPhone/iPad everywhere shouldn't come into the equation.

18. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Yes it should. No one wants to get made fun of. Ever. At any age.

19. |3are

|3are Member
    Silver

No one should be so insecure to let a little ridicule change the way she/he behaves.

20. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Lol let me guess. Home schooled?
    :)