Im going to Canada tomorrow Question about INTERNATIONAL Rates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I know its pretty random, I just found out myself. Im in Ohio for the summer and my mom says were going to Canada tomorrow... great...=/ any way. Will we get banged for using it outside the country if we don't make a call? For instance if it is connected to the network?

Also same question but for data.

I know I could just put on airplane mode on my iPhone but my parents don't have this option. Thanks.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
You can use your phone while traveling in Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands with no additional feature required. Roaming charges may apply dependent upon your rate plan.

Thanks

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I know its pretty random, I just found out myself. Im in Ohio for the summer and my mom says were going to Canada tomorrow... great...=/ any way. Will we get banged for using it outside the country if we don't make a call? For instance if it is connected to the network?

I know I could just put on airplane mode on my iPhone but my parents don't have this option. Thanks.
good question for AT&T customer care.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH

Hey! I used to live on the border of Canada in NY. Sometimes when we went places, our calls would go through Canadian towers instead of American ones. It will work, but yes, Cingular always charged us extra because even though we were still in this country, we still got charged for international calling. Kinda looney, eh? =P

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Hey! I used to live on the border of Canada in NY. Sometimes when we went places, our calls would go through Canadian towers instead of American ones. It will work, but yes, Cingular always charged us extra because even though we were still in this country, we still got charged for international calling. Kinda looney, eh? =P
Did you get anything on your alpha tag line telling you that you were roaming out of country?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Wow, this is weird. I was going to go to BC tomorrow so I called ATT this morning to find out this very thing.

The roaming (all calls) will cost you 79¢/min, data will cost you $.0195/KB. If you expect to do a lot of calls you can signup for the Canada package for $3.99 which just lowers your minutes to 59¢/min, then cancel later.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
ugh no browsing for me :)

My parents nearly owned me so hard, the online tracker said 13000 texts but its under the same field as mbs and data.

Heckler

Jul 1, 2007
Remember you could also be charged for data just checking your emails and probably even updating your weather locations even if you never make a phone call. Definitely check with AT&T to be sure, but you may want to turn off the auto downloading of emails or leave the phone in airplane-mode to avoid these data charges.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Personally, I'd just pull the SIM card (use Apple tool #1, aka: unbend a paperclip) if you're going to take your iPhone out of the US and don't want to pay roaming fees.

No SIM = No phone, no EDGE, no roaming fees.

You can still use it for everything except a phone if you find a free Wi-Fi spot.
And of course, you can still use it as an iPod too.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I had a weird experience. My carrier tag changed. I know this changes based on what cell tower your near (correct)

Any way the weird part was it was a scrolling logo.

Rodgers wireless I believe. Does this mean that is stored on the iPhone?

Does it mean that its a gif not png?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Usually those are activated by the code of the different carriers. Inside the US you would probably never notice it when you're roaming on another carrier's tower, but outside the phone tells you so you know you're using some expensive minutes. Be careful.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Oh I see. Yeah I just checked real quick. I talked to the guys on #iPhone, the ones who did the jailbreak program and they said that its prob just a textsignal sent from towers out of country. Meaning you will never find it say Tmobile or similar.