I'm happy to wait 4 months

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
the apps won't be available till June.
thats ok.. Its ganna be soo exciting watching apps develop in front of our eyes. Each week if not every other day we will have news on a new apps being delveloped. It will be candy to our eyes!

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
I'm not too happy. To me, the "Appstore" = "Installer" so that's what I'm using now. I expected more from Apple on this but it looks like they are simply taking what's been done by so many apps developers and making it official and businesss-like. What about Flash support? They need to focus on that instead of highjacking the Installer.

I also don't like the fact that it's gonna be a new firmware update as I am on TMobile so I have to rely on an unlock solution + Tzones fix. Not looking forward to going through it all over again with FW 2.0.

Other than that, I'm curious to see what apps come out. I think Sling Player will be awesome on it but EDGE is too slow for it so we'll have to rely on the WiFi for that if we want quality TV.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I'm not too happy. To me, the "Appstore" = "Installer" so that's what I'm using now. I expected more from Apple on this but it looks like they are simply taking what's been done by so many apps developers and making it official and businesss-like. What about Flash support? They need to focus on that instead of highjacking the Installer.

I also don't like the fact that it's gonna be a new firmware update as I am on TMobile so I have to rely on an unlock solution + Tzones fix. Not looking forward to going through it all over again with FW 2.0.

Other than that, I'm curious to see what apps come out. I think Sling Player will be awesome on it but EDGE is too slow for it so we'll have to rely on the WiFi for that if we want quality TV.
I think most if not all of us expected a new FW when all this gets established. You didn't think we would sit on 1.1.3 (or 1.1.4, whatever) through the release of 3rd party apps did you?

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
Perhaps they could have done it through the iTunes store or something without having us go through another FW update.

It's just nerve-racking to keep having to jailbreak and unlock everytime.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
i think there are going to be much better apps through the app store than installer. I'm not even remotely interested in most of the crap on installer. The games are crap with the exception of the NES emulator. Look at the demo for Spores from EA. With apps from bigger companies with more resources, the quality of apps should greatly increase. Sure a lot of them will be at a cost, but you get what you pay for.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I think it was wise of Apple to wait until June. Not only will we get Software 2.0, but by then, developers will have made hundreds of apps. It's going to be the same as installer, except with paying. And guess what? We should all be content to pay. I develop apps, and it's nice to get paid for my work. You should always contribute towards the developer of something you enjoy.

- John

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm glad for the wait. If apps came out on Thursday, I probably never would have jailbroken. Now I'm happy I'm getting to experience what all the talk is about.

I'll probably still go clean in June, but maybe not. At least now I have options.

p.s.- I'll bet ZiPhone's experiencing a surge of downloads after Thursday....

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
I'm not expecting there to be any high priced apps.. Maybe 10$ at most.
I think Alot of developers will charge free=/ haha hopefully

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
the apps won't be available till June.
thats ok.. Its ganna be soo exciting watching apps develop in front of our eyes. Each week if not every other day we will have news on a new apps being delveloped. It will be candy to our eyes!
This is how I felt when the jailbreak first appeared and the NES project started to blossom. That opened the doors for many if not all of the apps that followed which used the groundwork NES.app had laid from how it reads and writes down to it's interface layouts.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Yes it does stick to wait til june but just think how great these apps will work and the amount we will have.. Those that were selected to make apps for yesterdays conference were giving 2 weeks look how those turned out.. so if we have intill june those apps are going to be amazin.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
yes its ganna be like palm secks.
curious though... ?¿?¿ Wonder if Apple will allow developers to develope an app. Like Summerboard..=/ I hope so.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
I'm pretty sure that wallpaper changing will surface in 2.0, then MobileCandyBar might make it's way through. Then once Unsanity gets off their asses and makes a Shapeshifter for the iPhone we will be set.

Will costs hundreds of dollars though. :p

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
yes its ganna be like palm secks.
curious though... ?¿?¿ Wonder if Apple will allow developers to develope an app. Like Summerboard..=/ I hope so.
Customize/Summerboard is the only thing I really really want. The rest I could take or leave. The only reason my phone is jailbroken is so I can customize it. (ie.. wallpaper, icons, colors and such)

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Wouldn't it be easier to make the AppStore work on 1.1.4 rather than making a jailbreak for 2.0?

Just a thought I had while drawing.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I did a little reading around, and I WOULD NOT be happy to wait 4 months for what NervGas is saying about the SDK:

Apple’s SDK is not so much a groundbreaker as it is a proprietary spin on a well-traversed system. Not only do “jailbreak” iPhone applications exist in abundance, developers have created a fairly robust unofficial SDK, including a complete guide to iPhone development that integrates Apple’s XCode, an integrated development environment for Mac OS X. Instructions for setting up a staging area, creating a mountable iPhone filesystem, installing the iPhone toolchain, and finally setting up XCode with a custom iPhone application template are all included.

The unofficial development community has also established a distribution scheme that represents a precursor to Apple’s “App Store”: Nullriver’s Installer.app. Installer.app offers over-the-air downloads/installations, easy updating and uninstallation of applications, and many other advance features that Apple has replicated with the “App Store.”

Zdziarski says “Apple is embarrassingly the one trying to duplicate the open source community today. As a result, many of Apple’s SDK restrictions appear specifically targeted at this established community. Apple has banned NullRiver’s installer app, as well as PXL and other software installers, essentially locking out any third party distribution channels from iTunes (which may equate to unfair competition).”

In fact, says Zdziarski, the unofficial application development tools offer a greater breadth of system accessibility than Apple’s tools, which the company pitched as “the same ones” it uses.

“The APIs that the open tool chain uses seem to reflect more closely to the ‘real SDK’ used by Apple to create their own applications,” said Zdziarski. “While the Apple SDK lets you write applications that look somewhat like iPhone applications, the open tool chain allows you to get right down to the metal and write applications using the same objects as Apple’s own applications - and use the same spectacular effects that are otherwise restricted.”
Now if you don't know who Jonathan “NervGas” Zdziarski is, you can read his book “iPhone Open Application Development” which is published by O'Reilly, or just install his NES.app emulator which I'm sure you've heard about at least once ;)

So in a nutshell, he has a little insight and experience to make such bold statements which ultimately makes me cringe :(

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I did a little reading around, and I WOULD NOT be happy to wait 4 months for what NervGas is saying about the SDK:

Now if you don't know who Jonathan “NervGas” Zdziarski is, you can read his book “iPhone Open Application Development” which is published by O'Reilly, or just install his NES.app emulator which I'm sure you've heard about at least once ;)

So in a nutshell, he has a little insight and experience to make such bold statements which ultimately makes me cringe :(
Good for him. I'm excited about the SDK, and getting legit apps in June.

- John

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Correction.

Good for him, bad for developers. Not only are they not working on the same toolkit as Apple does in-house, but now they've got to go through rounds of meetings covering topics like "this is why we need background access" with the bean counters at Apple.

You start asking for special access like that and the bean counters start asking for more slices of the profit pie. Devs that don't want to pay out of pocket, or pass the buck on the consumer by raising their prices will have to settle with abandoning the project, or issuing it as a watered down version of their original concept.

So yeah, legit or crippleware? Only time will tell.

Apple124

Bronze
Mar 11, 2008
Im pretty happy to wait four months, because the excitement will build up.
and also because by then we will have all these awesome new apps!