I'm having a hard time getting this answered...

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
forgive me if this has been answered a million times before.

I have my phone synced to a Windows based desktop at my parent's home. Music, pix, contacts, and like 50 apps.

I really need to sync with my Powerbook (mac), without losing my info.

Is there a way, to sync everything from my phone...unto the iTunes I have on the Mac? Like transferring all my info without losing anything? The Mac's iTunes has some old stuff on it, from when my phone was synced with it last year. If that iTunes erases all my current data, and replaces it with the old stuff, I'll...not be happy lol.

Any help?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
forgive me if this has been answered a million times before.

I have my phone synced to a Windows based desktop at my parent's home. Music, pix, contacts, and like 50 apps.

I really need to sync with my Powerbook (mac), without losing my info.

Is there a way, to sync everything from my phone...unto the iTunes I have on the Mac? Like transferring all my info without losing anything? The Mac's iTunes has some old stuff on it, from when my phone was synced with it last year. If that iTunes erases all my current data, and replaces it with the old stuff, I'll...not be happy lol.

Any help?
The last line of your post is exactly what is going to happen. You cannot be sync'd to two different iTunes librarys at the same time...Mark

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
So, hypothetically speaking, my PC crashes (because...they do that) I'm SOL?

I don't really want to be synced to two comps, just the Mac. I can't just transfer my files unto the Mac?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
So, hypothetically speaking, my PC crashes (because...they do that) I'm SOL?

I don't really want to be synced to two comps, just the Mac. I can't just transfer my files unto the Mac?
There are programs you can download to your computer that'll take the songs off of your iPhone and put them into your iTunes library in case things like this happen.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
only way you're gonna be able to do it is if your folks let you authorize you iTunes with their account info. But that would mean any future purchases you made would be charged to their account. Though that way, you could copy all your songs on the PC and they'd work and your phone would transfer all the apps to the mac on first sync.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
As stated above me, you first need to authorize the computer you want to move to, then you need to collect the info off your current PC and out it on your new one.
Example: I bought my wife a touch for Christmas. I wanted to share both my music and all apps that she could use (most were free anyway, but a few were bought). I have a 20gig jump drive, and I copied everything from my music library first, taking note on where it was located, and then all the apps she could use. Most of this is located in C:\documents and settings\USER\my Documents\My Music\iTunes. Unfortunately, I am not sure where on a MAC they would go, but I am sure that if you started a default library with one or 2 songs, you can locate where the directory is supposed to be.
Apps are .IPA files
As far as your phone's backup, you can look under preferences, and locate the location of the most current backup. If you sync to an address book, or more specifically Outlook, you can export your contacts to a CSV file and should be able to import them to your mac's address book. If you are going to use Outlook on your MAC, then just find the pst file under your profile and copy that over.
My wife is now enjoying all my songs and most of my apps.

It sounds like a lot of work, but the only thing that takes any length of time is the copying process. depending on how big your libraries are, it can take a bit.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
As stated above me, you first need to authorize the computer you want to move to, then you need to collect the info off your current PC and out it on your new one.
Example: I bought my wife a touch for Christmas. I wanted to share both my music and all apps that she could use (most were free anyway, but a few were bought). I have a 20gig jump drive, and I copied everything from my music library first, taking note on where it was located, and then all the apps she could use. Most of this is located in C:\documents and settings\USER\my Documents\My Music\iTunes. Unfortunately, I am not sure where on a MAC they would go, but I am sure that if you started a default library with one or 2 songs, you can locate where the directory is supposed to be.
Apps are .IPA files
As far as your phone's backup, you can look under preferences, and locate the location of the most current backup. If you sync to an address book, or more specifically Outlook, you can export your contacts to a CSV file and should be able to import them to your mac's address book. If you are going to use Outlook on your MAC, then just find the pst file under your profile and copy that over.
My wife is now enjoying all my songs and most of my apps.

It sounds like a lot of work, but the only thing that takes any length of time is the copying process. depending on how big your libraries are, it can take a bit.
Hey Hawk - for my wife and I, we just use one iTunes account, and sync to our iMac. All songs and Apps work this way, and we don't have to worry about multiple libraries. Just food for thought.

To the OP - you'll lose your music, but you should be able to merge your contacts and other info onto your Mac. Something you could do is sign up for a trial mobile me account, and get the PC, iPhone, and Mac all in sync - then all you have to worry about is music. For that, I'd recommend software such as Tune Ranger to sync your libraries. When all is said and done, you'd have a mac and a pc with pretty much the same information as your phone.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Hey Hawk - for my wife and I, we just use one iTunes account, and sync to our iMac. All songs and Apps work this way, and we don't have to worry about multiple libraries. Just food for thought.

To the OP - you'll lose your music, but you should be able to merge your contacts and other info onto your Mac. Something you could do is sign up for a trial mobile me account, and get the PC, iPhone, and Mac all in sync - then all you have to worry about is music. For that, I'd recommend software such as Tune Ranger to sync your libraries. When all is said and done, you'd have a mac and a pc with pretty much the same information as your phone.
My wife prefers to use her PC and I'm already setup on mine. If we were networked, then it would have been a lot easier, but I was giving the OP instructions on how to retreive his data completely off the PC for his MAC. I treated it as if his PC was about to head south.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
My wife prefers to use her PC and I'm already setup on mine. If we were networked, then it would have been a lot easier, but I was giving the OP instructions on how to retreive his data completely off the PC for his MAC. I treated it as if his PC was about to head south.
True. As did I. The 60 day trial of Mobile Me would be more than sufficient.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I know it's been mentioned somewhere here before but off hand does anyone know the name of one of these programs that you can transfer everything off your iPhone to a new computer?
My husbands PC crashed and burned and I was going to log him on as a user on my mac for now but we both have different iTunes accounts. He authorized his account on his log in but it want's to erase all the music that is not bought on iTunes (the cd's he burned to his other computer and put in his iTunes library there). This music is all still on his ipod touch but if I try and sync it wants to erase it. I am hoping thats what these programs are for?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I know it's been mentioned somewhere here before but off hand does anyone know the name of one of these programs that you can transfer everything off your iPhone to a new computer?
My husbands PC crashed and burned and I was going to log him on as a user on my mac for now but we both have different iTunes accounts. He authorized his account on his log in but it want's to erase all the music that is not bought on iTunes (the cd's he burned to his other computer and put in his iTunes library there). This music is all still on his ipod touch but if I try and sync it wants to erase it. I am hoping thats what these programs are for?
Connie, this one has been proven to be very reliable. Members here have used it with good success. It isn't free though.:(