I'm having problems with iCloud Photo Library and I'm looking for help to end the madness!

Discussion in 'Windows PC and iPhone' started by GadgetGuru72, May 30, 2017.

1. GadgetGuru72

GadgetGuru72 New Member

Ok, so here's the deal ...

I'm brand new to the iCloud Photo Library thing because this is the first time I've had an iPhone with high enough capacity to even consider leaving a sizable number of photos on my device.

Anyway, I now have 2990 photos and videos on my device, and turned on iCloud Photo Library.

As expected, if I go to the iCloud website, it shows I have 2990 photos and videos.

I downloaded iCloud for Windows, and was disappointed to learn that it does not offer a true sync. But, I'll live with it.

If I click the "download" button in iCloud for Windows, it also shows I have 2990 photos and videos, so everything appears to be as it should be.

Here's the problem: once everything is downloaded, I only end up with 2951 photos and videos, so 39 files aren't downloading. I've tried researching the issue and trying to figure it out, but I'm not finding anything at all that might explain why iCloud has 2990 photos and videos, displays that it has that number, but downloads 39 fewer files.

Any ideas? This is driving me mad.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is difficult to troubleshoot since you have so many photos and might take a long time to go through and find what's actually missing. My guess is the missing 39 are either duplicates or an error occurred during the download process.

If you want to take the time, you could go through and cross-check to see if anything is actually missing and try downloading them individually or delete the batch and try downloading it all again.

3. GadgetGuru72

GadgetGuru72 New Member

Thanks for the input. I already tried deleting everything and re-downloading, and it's the same result. iCloud for Windows requires you to download by year, and I was able to figure out that 24 of the missing 39 are from 2016. Interestingly, the iCloud control panel shows the correct number of photos for 2016, but when I click download it immediately shows that it is downloading 24 fewer files. So, for some reason when it queries 2016, it ultimately picks 24 fewer files for download. Perhaps you're onto something with the suggestion of duplicates. I'll see if I can pin that down. Thanks again.

4. GadgetGuru72

GadgetGuru72 New Member

Hello again - for the sake of completeness, I just wanted to add that I went through the painstaking process of looking for duplicates, and didn't find a single duplicate, so I can say with 100% confidence that there is not 39 duplicates. Do you (or anyone else) have any other suggestions of things I can look for? I'd like to try to get this resolved, because if I cannot figure out why 39 files are missing, I don't think I'm going to be able to continue using iCloud Photo Library. While 39 out of nearly 3000 is a somewhat small number, I have no way of knowing if any of those 39 are important or meaningful photos to me.

5. aarnold

aarnold New Member

Maybe not duplicate pics, but the same file name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Someone had a similar issue, and those missing were videos.