I'm I the only one? - Edge is pretty fast!

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I agree that it's sometimes very fast and sometimes very slow. For example at my apartment with WIFI off I get decent speeds at about 70% of what wifi gives me which is satisfying. On the fourth of July in the middle of Nashville it was pretty slow, but I could still roam around. I'd say it was like dialup at that point.....still totally usable for e-mail, maps, widgets, etc.

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
edge seems fine to me. at least as good as fast as my evdo on my moto Q, if not better

was able to stream a couple trailers off Apple's site over edge with no problem. takes a few seconds to buffer,then takes off.

W

winklebleck

coming from my Verizon Moto Q w/ EVDO speeds averaging around 380kb/s, I notice the slower nature of EDGE, but it is livable.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
With all the negative talk about how slow Edge was going to be on the iPhone, I was fearing the worst. I now find that Edge works very well loading pages, getting my email, etc. It's also been pretty stable as well.
With 3G being 5 times faster, I would say the EDGE is slow. The DFW area EDGE is OK, but have heard other states are 5 times slower (40 instead 200).

damstr

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I've got to agree... EDGE seems quite a bit faster than people made it out to be. I get 200+kbps anywhere in the Bay Area and thats plenty fast to view web pages. It streams YouTube videos as well, which is just amazing IMO.

Yeah, 3G is faster ... but its not everywhere -- and that's important.
Yeah 3G isn't everywhere but its in the places I needed. I'm a computer tech for a living so mon-fri, I'm driving around all of maryland and parts of northern viginia. Rarely do I have EVDO coverage. I don't know about you but I'd rather have highspeed coverage in the areas that matter more then slow speed everywhere. That's just my opinion though. Believe me if the iPhone was 3G I'd have one already.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I've owned plenty of 3g phones including the blackjack. As far as internet browsing goes, i see very little difference in speed. The only thing I notice is 3g streams video better. I actually prefer edge because I love gsm and hate any sort of cdma.:(
I do have say it depends on your device, a cpu can only handle so much. The EDGE compresses pictures and video, so you give up quality and speed. You will notice 3G the best when you tehter a phone with your computer. 3G is like having WIFI everywhere. Yes, the area is very limited, but 3G phones can switch back and forth.

spscoral

Jul 3, 2007
There is no 3G in my area and I have never used it. I just switched from one provider to ATT because of this phone. I have found without a wifi, it is slow. I am used to cable and T1 networks, this slow edge is something else.

I gave it a try on Utube and geez..... Slow...(after 5 minutes I gave up). Even on maps, it took several minutes to load. I do live in a semi "rural" area, but geez, slow...

Heckler

Jul 1, 2007
This is my first internet capable phone and I am very surprised at how fast the Edge service has been in the Wash DC area. Of course it is not broadband speed but it has exceeded my expectations based on what I was reading before the phones release. Earlier today I received an email from my sister in England which contained a link to a photographers web site in the UK with pictures of my niece & nephew. Within 90 seconds I was logged into the website, with the password, and viewing the pictures. I am sure other phones would also be capable of this, but I was very happy being able to view this on the spot and not having to wait till i got home. As far as I am concerned, my iPhone has performed exactly as Apple has advertised.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
With 3G being 5 times faster, I would say the EDGE is slow. The DFW area EDGE is OK, but have heard other states are 5 times slower (40 instead 200).
Yeah, compared to 3G or WiFi, EDGE is slow. And compared to old skool dial-up, EDGE is screaming. EDGE is plenty fast for what I do and I am happy with it. It really does depend on your ATT signal where you happen to be so sometimes it may be pokey and other times it will zip.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
Edge is perfect for me the only complain I have with it is that when on youtube the quality of the video gets toned down a lot.