I'm in Belize but my iPhone thinks it's in South Dakota

brrempel

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Fe
Every map and loction monitoring app I have says I'm in South Dakota, But I'm 99.3% positive I'm in Placencia, Belize. Any ideas why?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i hope for your sake that you aren't using data usage like normal while you're in belize. if so i will :laugh2: at you

brrempel

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Fe
No kidding smart guy, I'm on wifi with data roaming off. Now that we've established that I'm not an idiot, do you have anthing constructive to add to this thread?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
glad we have that clear :)

i would have to assume that it is because it uses a combination of wifi, and cell phone data connection (which you don't have).

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iPhone+gps+incorrect

so unless you get some type of cell phone reception, it seems as if you can't get very good gps positioning. if only we all could be so lucky

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I know this is in the 3g thread but are we talking about a V1 phone or a 3g with the GPS? I could see this problem maybe on a V1 but this seems a bit out of wack if you're running a GPS.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I can see it. My phone gets all whacked out if I go out of town. It starts off by saying the time is 4-5 hours ahead and then some calls come from in the future lol. I got a call today on 5-15-09?!? when I head back home all goes back to normal.

brrempel

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Fe
I'm on a 3g. I get a cell signal and have sent a received a few text messages, but haven't made any voice calls (at $3.50 a min.). I haven't had this promlem traveling in the US.

It's not really a big deal, just found it strange. Thanks everyone for the feedback.