i'm just lazy & don't understand..

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

sto907

Sep 1, 2007
Anchorage, ALASKA
so yeah.. i finally got my phone able to modd... i have installer.. and etch a sketch.. but how do i go about actually changing icons? anyone have any recommended ways? i'll do a search as well, but i'd like to hear peoples opinions..

Otacon132

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
so yeah.. i finally got my phone able to modd... i have installer.. and etch a sketch.. but how do i go about actually changing icons? anyone have any recommended ways? i'll do a search as well, but i'd like to hear peoples opinions..

you need to install community sources via installer, this will add a source to your installer and offer MANY more programs. Also, search the third party applications forums and you will find many programs that are stable and people recommend. To install those they may require you to manually ad a source (which is basically just a url you enter in the installer source options on the phone itself). Basically each source you add gives you access to new apps, but be careful and know what your downloading before. I don't download anything unless i research it here or on te net to see if people ave issues with it.

As for appearance wise, im running 1.1.2 and customize runs without a problem for me, others have issue...i don't know.

Id install Summerboard (a must) and customize for appearance mods. Once you have those you can go into isntaller and download different themes for the summerboard application, which you then just go into summerboard and change to w/e theme you like. Customize lets you change smaller things like the icon order's, and battery image/carrier image ect...but those need to be downloaded via installer as well.

As for ringtones and custom text sounds you need to manually add them into the phone via SSH, or get a program to do it like iPhoneringtonemaker. Personally i paid for iPhoneringtonemaker, but im waiting on a newer release, cant do bulk sync to the phone and i have 160 ringtones that i have from my old phone......so i just manually add them via SSH

As far as games go, look into getting the NES roms on there (search, cause thats another issue in itself...you need Open SSH installed as well as a client on your pc to access the phone), isnake (need to add a source for this one) and iphysics is amazing, that game was just released recently and is awesome, Labarynth is pretty cool also, although i never play it.

As for other apps i run, VNC which allows remote control of my pc at home from anywhere and Splitter which splits a check + tip at a restaurant.

Jeeze ~ crash course on apps for the phone eh? any specific questions you can just ask me or post, the people on these forums are rather helpful

sto907

Sep 1, 2007
Anchorage, ALASKA
ok, so i have summerboard, and all that.. pretty fun once you actually get it..
also, i have two more questions..
1) I've downgraded from 1.1.2 to 1.0.2, and was wondering how do i go about upgrading to 1.1.1 to i can get the newer summerboard and customize thing..
2) How do i go about restoring or getting my info from my last sync without losing all my stuff that i just did?...

all i am really worried about is the phone book, music, and pictures..

Thank you guys! everyone is so helpful here!

Otacon132

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
ive never had 1.0.2, i always had 1.1.1 and then had an OTB (out the box) 1.1.2. My current phone is the otb 1.1.2, and those cant be downgraded due to some weird crap with the modem firmware or something.

With that said i believe you can simply "UPDATE", not restore to 1.1.1 firmware by downloading it from the web (www.iunlock.com i believe is the website, google iunlock). Connecting the phone and going into iTunes select the phone, Shift+click on UPDATE and select the firmware you downloaded (1.1.1). That should work and not mess up your jailbreak/apps, although i have NEVER done that from 1.0.2, only 1.1.1 to 1.1.2, so search and make sure there wont be an issue. Either way, id try it if it was me personally, worse comes to worse you simply restore the phone to w/e firmware you like and start over, it is impossible i THINK to brick your phone by just messing with it to jailbreak, its unlocking that causes bricks.

After your on 1.1.1 you can go to 1.1.2 if you like by downloading something off installer before you do anything (cant remember the name of it right now), and then updating to 1.1.2, and THEN jailbreak. At the moment it is not possible to jailbreak a 1.1.2 phone without
1) reverting to 1.1.1 first
2) Jailbreak 1.1.1 and install installer
3) installing the app
4) updating to 1.1.2
5) running jailbreak on 1.1.2

and lastly summerboard and customize along with other apps are up to date the moment you download them, in other words, they are always up to date on installer, and when a new version is out you will see a # next to update with the # of updates available for w/e apps are installed. IE: today there was a new customize out (1.20) and i just click update, it does its own thing and you wont even notice it.

Otacon132

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
Forgot to answer the second part of your question. "Sync" (music, contacts ect) should work perfectly fine via iTunes every time you sync it, without messing with your apps. Jailbreaking the phone makes it act no differently in that regard.

The only issue you might have is with ringtones, iTunes wipes them clean every time you sync, but iPhoneringtonemaker for example is always running in the background when iTunes is open and when you sync iTunes, once its done it does a 2nd sync (from iPhoneringtonemaker) and re-uploads the ringtones you added without you noticing....so in reality, with the proper software you wont have any issues in with that.

I for example don't have to deal with that, the way i do it via SSH makes iTunes think its all ok and doesn't touch them.