I'm new and i have a few questions.

jr3650sp

Aug 30, 2009
I was given an iPhone 3g and I want to use it as a pay you go phone. Do I need to avoid iTunes altogether or do I need to jailbreak the phone then unlock? I figured there is a way to use it b/c of all the undermining that can be done but my smartphone knowledge go as far as blackberries and moto qs. Please no one tell me it can't be done b/c I know it can but I have limited knowledge of iPhones.(Thanks in advance.)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Welcome to EiC :)

Using AT&T pay as you go is tricky. I only know one person here that has it working. I've seen many threads where people tried to get it working, but never could. Therefore, I recommend using a T-Mobile prepaid SIM. Do you already have a prepaid SIM card? I can give you some step by step instructions on how to jailbreak and unlock it if you want.

jr3650sp

Aug 30, 2009
If you could instruct me that would be good. I have a tmobile prepaid sim I could use. The reason I ask about the pyg is on youtube I've seen it run but somehow you have to cut off data service in the sense of 3g or cellular data. I did a little research and it seems you have to have the carrier suspend the data service is it true? Thanks for your help. Also after a restore on the phone do you need to connect to iTunes to set it up the phone. My friend erased all the apps and everything but the personal data so I told them I would erase their info.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The prepaid T-Mobile SIM doesn't have data, so that won't be an issue. You'll have internet on WiFi. If you had a reqular T-Mobile SIM, you could have them disable data. AT&T will not disable data for you if you ask. It is a requirement that you have a data plan with AT&T if you have an iPhone. They will not sell you an iPhone without one. If you buy one on eBay and take the SIM out of your old AT&T phone and move it to the iPhone, they can tell that you're using an iPhone and will send you texts asking you to call them to add a data plan. If you have a data plan, but it's a non iPhone data plan, they'll ask you to upgrade to the $30 iPhone data plan. I don't know if they can actually add it on without your consent. Either way, they'll hound you.

That's why I recommend just going with T-Mobile. It's so much easier.

So you don't want a data plan, right?
Mac or PC?

I'll post some instructions in a minute. You'll need to restore to factory settings in iTunes before jailbreaking. Update to the latest version of iTunes, connect the phone, and hit the restore button. It will restore it and update the phone to the 3.0.1 firmware.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
After restoring the iPhone in iTunes, you can jailbreak and unlock it. It will not activate until you have completed the entire process.

1. Download redsn0w 0.8 http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/126908912/redsn0w-in-june
2. Download the 3.0 IPSW file for the 3G with Firefox - don't use Explorer of Safari (the 3.0 IPSW file is required for redsn0w, it will not downgrade you from 3.0.1 to 3.0) iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
3. Run redsn0w
4. Open Cydia and install ultrasn0w http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/128573459/ultras-now
5. Reboot and it will activate.

jr3650sp

Aug 30, 2009
Thanks a lot and after that I cleared the apn settings out for att and I got my pay as you go to work Thanks a lot . The activation portion of iTunes stopped me . Can I jail break after I get passed the activation portion or should I try an earlier verison of iTunes and does the redsnow need to run from my pc or the iPhone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So, you're using an AT&T SIM then?

jr3650sp

Aug 30, 2009
i'm trying to do both of them.

jr3650sp

Aug 30, 2009
I found out something

A common misconception is that the iPhone 3g won't work on pay as you go: as I was instructed on another site the location feature on the iPhone causes a switch between forms of connection i.e wifi to data and that is what cause these phones not to be operatable and the pick your plan I can confirm is a no go b/c of the tracking nature that goes across att servers.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So did you get an AT&T Pay as You Go SIM working then? If so, please post the directions. Are you saying that turning off Location Services will allow it to work?

jr3650sp

Aug 30, 2009
I activated the sim card in my motorola q9h then when I activated the iPhone I allowed it to update to the latest os then I restored the phone to 2.0> Then I started reading of all of the numerous problems everyone was having with making an i phone 3g a pay as you go so I asked had anyone turned off the location feature and the answer was No. So I updated to 3.0 and turned off the location feature and I haven't used it since the point of it being on 2.0 and I have had no problem. Currently the only data I'm using is over wifi but all my apps work and I can't figure a way around the cellular data issue ,but when I do I'll let you know.