I'm new

jlibertto

Feb 4, 2008
Hello everybody!

i new to this site and just thought id say hi. i recently bought my husband an iPhone, and gave it to him today.

i know NOTHING about the wifi for iPhones, and never used one..hell i never held one before. when i put his sim in (its unlocked for tmobile) it wouldn't connect and a whole bunch of crap. im actually pretty tired, so ill be back to ask my questions, and i hope i can get some answers :laugh2:

i look forward to it!

have a great night/morning all

Jackie

jlibertto

Feb 4, 2008
ahahaha

the game was awesome. i wanted to giants to win, of course...ny is the best baby!

but i kinda felt bad kicking the pats but. they won so many..it was kinda sad..almost brought a tear to my eye...but then, i remembered who had beat the asses..and yet again a smile
muahahahahaha!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Im a die hard Cowboys fan and usually I'd rather walk across a football field of burning hot coals than cheer for the Giants. But I found myself enthusiastically cheering for them the whole game. I just couldn't pull for the Patriots.

Oh by the way, welcome to the forum.

AWY

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
California
Welcome to the boards. You're going to have a wonderful experience, here. The people here are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Welcome to EIC! Don't bring up iPhoneringtonemaker, restoring the iPhone, or bashing anyone named macmanpro, and you'll have an enjoyable stay here! J/K :p

OMG: my 1000th post! (maybe 3 were useful, the rest---just taking up space!)

jlibertto

Feb 4, 2008
hello

i recently bought my husband an iPhone. its unlocked and came with i think its called a nextsim generation 4 chip. we have tmobile and when i turned it on its fine. you can make and receive calls. but when i try to go onto youtube, the internet, maps, etc...it says theres no connection.

now i know NOTHING about wifi. we have internet at home, but it isn't wireless. i was at someone elses house, who has wireless...and it detected the connection, but wouldn't let me join the network. it said the password was wrong which it wasn't. i talked to geek squad, and they said it would cost 129 bucks to have someone hook it up and show me how to do it.

now do i need to get wifi for it to work?
i know people who bought an iPhone from Apple, and they get a connection all over. and if it is that we need to buy it for the house..when he leaves the house, will he still be connected?!?!

please help me. i know nothing like i said about wifi, or even iPhones for that matter.

thanks a lot : )

jackie

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
hello

i recently bought my husband an iPhone. its unlocked and came with i think its called a nextsim generation 4 chip. we have tmobile and when i turned it on its fine. you can make and receive calls. but when i try to go onto youtube, the internet, maps, etc...it says theres no connection.

now i know NOTHING about wifi. we have internet at home, but it isn't wireless. i was at someone elses house, who has wireless...and it detected the connection, but wouldn't let me join the network. it said the password was wrong which it wasn't. i talked to geek squad, and they said it would cost 129 bucks to have someone hook it up and show me how to do it.

i know people who bought an iPhone from Apple, and they get a connection all over. and if it is that we need to buy it for the house..when he leaves the house, will he still be connected?!?!

please help me. i know nothing like i said about wifi, or even iPhones for that matter.

jackie
Your wi-fi will work as long as it is in range of a wi-fi signal. If you have it at home and your husband leaves the house, he'll have to find another place where there is a wi-fi signal, or he'll have to use the slower EDGE.

jlibertto

Feb 4, 2008
hmm, thanks.

is there anyway to check and see what wifi signals are close? like a website that shows where they are?

it might sound stupid but im just asking : )

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
hmm, thanks.

is there anyway to check and see what wifi signals are close? like a website that shows where they are?

it might sound stupid but im just asking : )
I think there is a website that shows wi-fi hotspots, but I dunno what it is. Also there are little gizmos you can buy that'll tell you when you are near some wi-fi signals. Most places advertise if they have free wi-fi, like most hotels, Mcdonalds, Burger King, most malls.

GolfNut

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
hello

jackie
Jackie:

My phone is not unlocked, meaning I'm using AT&T, but I can tell you how it works with that.

It does not require Wi-Fi for Internet browsing, YouTube, Maps, etc. iTunes on the iPhone DOES require Wi-Fi to work (at least that what it keeps telling me..grin).

I hope this helps.

John

jlibertto

Feb 4, 2008
Jackie:

It does not require Wi-Fi for Internet browsing, YouTube, Maps, etc. iTunes on the iPhone DOES require Wi-Fi to work (at least that what it keeps telling me..grin).

hello john,

whenever i would try and get onto the internet, or use the youtube, and get into the maps, its shows like its loading..or trying (the circle thing moves around, and then i get impatient) and turn it off. how long should it take to open?

:eek:

GolfNut

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
hello john,

whenever i would try and get onto the internet, or use the youtube, and get into the maps, its shows like its loading..or trying (the circle thing moves around, and then i get impatient) and turn it off. how long should it take to open?

:eek:

It really depends on how good your cellular reception is. Sometimes, when I'm in areas with not-so-good reception, it tells me it can't connect. It's not abnormal for it to take 20-60 seconds when it's got good reception.