I'm not cheap, but I'm addicted

Saint

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
NJ & NYC
I always find myself not wanting to pay for apps, and always looking at the top 25 free apps in the app store. I am always reluctant to pay for apps as I have only paid for 1 and have about 26 free currently installed. Anyone else addicted to only the free apps ?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I always find myself not wanting to pay for apps, and always looking at the top 25 free apps in the app store. I am always reluctant to pay for apps as I have only paid for 1 and have about 26 free currently installed. Anyone else addicted to only the free apps ?
Free or otherwise, I look consistently for the apps which would make my iPhone experience better. Look closely at what reviewers of the app are saying. Sometimes, a free app is just that much better than one for a cost.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I am quite behind on discovering great Apps. I've only paid for a few apps (Spore Origins, What's On) but I use those probably more than anything else. I do love Shazam and I use AIM quite frequently as well. I guess I will have to start paying more attention to the iTunes Top 25.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
so far i only have free apps, 4 pages worth. the only thing i will pay for is if a video recorder comes out, a better sms client, or a better web browser. i absolutely hate safari, want firefox so bad

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
My best apps are ones I paid for, most free ones are just novelties that get old quick (to me). I started off just downloading free ones until I realized my home pages were full of useless crap, then I started paying for apps and I use them a lot more. There are some really good free apps, it's a small percentage though given the numbers.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I keep track of new apps via an RSS feed, and while most of them are useless to me, I've discovered a few gems through it.

I've paid for Monkey Ball, Pianist, Sketches, BreakClassic, Cro-Mag, NetShare, and Cro-Mag and use them all (except NetShare, it's been replaced by iPhoneModem) all the time.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I, too, discover the new apps via RSS feed and often try new free apps that sound appealing to me. For the most part though I agree with what miggs says that most of the free apps are mainly novelties. Although I've found a few gems which were free, the ones I use most often tend to be paid apps that function as advertised and benefit me the greatest.

May 25, 2008
LOL I love the free and the paid ones alike. I admit I have a bad addiction here, I have paid for 16 apps so far and have 4 and a half screens worth of apps including all the freebies I've acquired. Some were free for a limited time and then they put prices to them so I got them while I could for free. The only thing I've had problems with in the past is if I load more than 5 screens worth the ipod tends to crash. That could have been in part or fully due to the old version Apple had of 2.0, but until I have time to get a good backup done this weekend, I don't want to chance going over 5 screens and having to do a restore again. :)

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Interesting... I use all 9 pages for my apps and have not had any issues with my iPod crashing. Although I use all nine pages none of them are full of icons. I've got them organized in like groupings and frequency of usage. The later pages have very few apps on them, mainly stock apps that I don't use and/or other apps that I rarely use but want access to in a pinch. Also, none of the pages contain any apps on the lower row... it's mainly an aesthetic thing and keeping the bottom row clean also allows me to flip through pages more quickly.

Sep 14, 2008
I have some free ones, but I will download whatever appeals to me free or otherwise. However Palringo, Facebook and Airsharing get the most use and they were all free. I just get peed off when you buy an app and then a better one comes out, i.e I bought Vegas Pool Sharks, and then Virtual Pool cam eout which is 10 times better.

I have a good deal though as my brotyher has an iPhone and we just sync to the same computor so we can share all our apps, so I get all his purchases for nothing :)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I have yet to pay for an app and I have about 30. I spent $500 for the phone so the app I finally do pay for better be a damn good one that I can't live without. I don't see that happening anytime soon either. :)