I'm now official

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
well i pulled the trigger today on a new aluminum 2.4 Ghz macbook! i have just started to set it up and im trying to get used to it. I feel that this is going to take awhile. If any of you Mac gurus hace some advice on what i should check out and other advice it would be greatly appreciated. I also have upgraded the ram to 4GB.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Congratulations Man! Good Move. My Advice is just to use it, ALOT! You will get used to it. I used PC for many years up until about 2 years ago when I made the switch. Now when I use a PC i'm almost disgusted!

Check this out too:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
thanks man. I have a lot of learning to do. Im going to check out the link now.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Congrats on the purchase! Switching to a Mac was seriously the best technology-based decision I've made. There is a thread in here somewhere about Mac hints and tricks so I'll try to find and link it. It gives a nice overview of some shortcuts and hidden goodies about using a Mac.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I was in your boat 2 weeks ago and I already feel that I know my way around OSX.
Two pieces of advice:
1. STOP THINKING WINDOWS! windows is too complicated for its own good and thats what makes OSX confusing to a windows user because its soo simple.
2. Just play with it and explore everything.

Congrats!

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Thanks everybody. Youngbinks I will be looking for the link. Also can somebody tell me how to disable my password protection? Everytime I want to open something or download I have to type it in.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you can't disable that. That's just part of Unix, and is something you will have to get used to. If it severely annoys you, the closest thing you can do is make your password nothing, so you can just hit "return" on those popups... but i wouldn't recommend doing it. In short, it's there for your protection.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
It's not bad I just thought I could disable it. Where do I get apps and which ones to download?

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks everybody. Youngbinks I will be looking for the link. Also can somebody tell me how to disable my password protection? Everytime I want to open something or download I have to type it in.
Go into Preferences > Accounts

Click on the little lock at the bottom left corner, type your password in. Did the lock open? Did that do what you wanted to do? I still have to type my password in, but only when I login, and install programs.

iHero

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
codyjk.com
Mac OS X is easy compared to Windows. When I first switched to Mac OS X, I was confused at first but after a couple days of use I was used to it.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Here is the link to the thread I mentioned. Within it are some links to other helpful hints and tips as well.

Last edited by a moderator: