I'm now scared to buy a 3G...

atldvd

Bronze
Jan 8, 2008
N.E. Oklahoma
So I sold my V1 iPhone which I loved and had zero issues with. Wife spent the money, so I had to sell stuff on eBay and Craigslist to build my funds back up. I now have it. But, I'm spooked by all the problems I'm hearing about, especially the 3G reception issues. Most of the other problems don't worry me too much, even the battery life, but it seems like a LOT of people are reporting 3G reception problems. One good thing is that another person on this site is from my location (Tulsa, OK) and he reports good 3G reception with good 3G speed. So maybe my area will be OK.

What do you think? Should I wait to see how this shakes out, or should I go ahead? I don't really need the phone, as I have a work phone. But boy, I loved my old iPhone and now I wish I hadn't sold it so quickly. I'd sure like to have a spiffy new one!

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Go ahead with it! Even if you are having 3G problems, turn off 3G then use just edge and WiFi for a bit. Everything will get worked out, hopefully, and be just fine. I bet you miss your V1 a lot!

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
im also concerned about getting a 3g right now. ive heard of the 3g issues and also that they are rushing them out the door, and that worries me about quality.

im going to just wait it out and see what happens for a little while longer. i still have my v1 and i don't need the 3g right away anyways so im ok with it.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Buy it.

Try it.

Don't like it?

Take it back.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
So I sold my V1 iPhone which I loved and had zero issues with. Wife spent the money, so I had to sell stuff on eBay and Craigslist to build my funds back up. I now have it. But, I'm spooked by all the problems I'm hearing about, especially the 3G reception issues. Most of the other problems don't worry me too much, even the battery life, but it seems like a LOT of people are reporting 3G reception problems. One good thing is that another person on this site is from my location (Tulsa, OK) and he reports good 3G reception with good 3G speed. So maybe my area will be OK.

What do you think? Should I wait to see how this shakes out, or should I go ahead? I don't really need the phone, as I have a work phone. But boy, I loved my old iPhone and now I wish I hadn't sold it so quickly. I'd sure like to have a spiffy new one!

well, you said you had to sell things to afford it, then you said you don't need it. i say don't buy it, spend more money on your wife, she can do things the iPhone cant.

Aug 12, 2008
GSP exit 165, NJ
Well I've been w/ AT&T for years...

Like I was w/ AT&T, was handed over to Cingular, and then handed back to AT&T ;)

I currently have an HTC 8125, and I've had no complaints with it. I like being able to copy and paste info from a text msg into my contacts, I like being able to hit the button on my bluetooth headset saying a name and having my call initiated, and loosing these things makes me hesitant.

On the other hand, I really like the mapping sw in the iPhone, and I could use a replacement for my 7 year old iPod, and having the phone/iPod/GPS in one unit would be nice.

I'm going to keep reading here before I jump ;)

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Welcome, Barry, From New Jersey. It's good to have you here. You should make the switch, you will not regret it.

Jul 14, 2008
I purchased my first white iPhone on July 11, it has been working perfectly since! Bought a second white one this week and it too is perfect! Just but it already!

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008

Like I was w/ AT&T, was handed over to Cingular, and then handed back to AT&T ;)

I currently have an HTC 8125, and I've had no complaints with it. I like being able to copy and paste info from a text msg into my contacts, I like being able to hit the button on my bluetooth headset saying a name and having my call initiated, and loosing these things makes me hesitant.

On the other hand, I really like the mapping sw in the iPhone, and I could use a replacement for my 7 year old iPod, and having the phone/iPod/GPS in one unit would be nice.

be careful what you read, it seems some people complain just to be complaining. i haven't had any problems and i love the iPhone.

btw: i had a wm phone before the iPhone and i'll never go back...

Aug 12, 2008
GSP exit 165, NJ
I purchased my first white iPhone on July 11, it has been working perfectly since! Bought a second white one this week and it too is perfect! Just but it already!
Why would one person need two phones?

be careful what you read, it seems some people complain just to be complaining. i haven't had any problems and i love the iPhone.

btw: i had a wm phone before the iPhone and i'll never go back...
Understood...

10 happy customers = 1 word of praise
5 unhappy customers = 4 screaming lunatics

With that said I'm not as worried about problems as I am about loosing real, useful, features that I currently have. Voice dial while driving is a great feature, I also use copy & paste all the time. These are two real tools I would loose going to an iPhone.

Jul 14, 2008
Different phone numbers of course. I no longer wanted a landline so I give out one number as a home phone and the other I use for friends etc.

With the old version iPhone, I had three activated at one time. :laugh2:

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008

Understood...

With that said I'm not as worried about problems as I am about loosing real, useful, features that I currently have. Voice dial while driving is a great feature, I also use copy & paste all the time. These are two real tools I would loose going to an iPhone.

I can understand that, I went through the same tug-o-war in my head. It basically boiled down to this for me:

iPhone = media
WM phone = businesss

I'm not a businesss man and I like surfing the web and listening to music so the choice was clear for me. I felt like my data plan was money down the drain with the WM phone, surfing the net was so bad I never used it. But, the features you're talking about are useful, just depends on whats more important for you. I chose the rich media experience and I'm happy with it.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii

Understood...

Just wait then. Copy & paste is on its way. I don't use voice dialing since I already have bluetooth handfree in my car. But, I bet there's a voice dialing app in the app store. If not, I'm sure someone will make it.

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ

Hi, i'm also from NJ. What towns or cities are you usually in? I can comment about 3g coverage & reception.

Aug 12, 2008
GSP exit 165, NJ
Hi, i'm also from NJ. What towns or cities are you usually in? I can comment about 3g coverage & reception.
I'm mostly around Paramus, Hackensack, Teaneck... Bergen County.
But I travel all around NY/NJ/MD/PA/CT going to car meets with friends.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
My 3g is much better than my V1 even when i only have 1 or 2 bars i don't drop calls. It sounds clearer and louder and the 3g is blazing fast.

and i sold my wifes 8gb on ebay for 500 bucks and it was a stock iPhone so her v1 almost paid for our two white 16gb 3g's

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I would say go ahead and make the purchase. You have 30 days to try the phone out and then if you really dislike it, take it back and you only pay a 10% restocking fee.

Geo

Bronze
Mar 9, 2008

Duh!? The guys has two hands....and two ears!

Understood...

That is SO TRUE!