I'm probably gonna lose a lot of respect here for admitting this...

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I watch movies on my iPhone while I drive. Yes this is bad but before you shun me as the biggest moron to ever own an iPhone, let me explain a little more. I have a really nice car mount that suction cups to my windshield and I've positioned the mount right above my steering wheel like this:

photo.jpg

Now, I'm not an idiot in that I know this is obviously more dangerous to drive but let me tell you why I justify it:

• I'm not looking down in my lap but looking straight forward the whole time with the windshield just milimeters above the phone's screen. I can see everything just an inch away from my center of focus.
  • I don't just watch the movie the whole time by any means. I maybe watch 1 second of movie and then 5 seconds of road, kind of like looking down at the speedometer. If it's quick enough, it's never dangerous. And since the iPhone is actually right by the view of the road, it's an even quicker glance than looking at the speedometer.
And here are some of the great benefits of it!

• I have an auxiliary cable so I can run the sound of the movie throughout all the car speakers. Even when I'm not watching I can hear the movie loud and clear.
  • Red lights are a blast. I no longer dread waiting at them, but get excited that I get to just watch the movie.
  • iPhone remembers where you left off in the movie. When you get back in the car and start the movie again, it will start off where you left off.
  • It's like having a mini flat screen tv right in your car. (My next goal is to load up music videos on there and having video along with my car music.)
Let me say that I realize this is not for everyone. I've never been in a moving accident before and I consider myself very aware of everything on the road. While this is obviously more dangerous, I've got it down to an art where I still feel safe. I would bet however that there are many people who wouldn't be able to do this responsibly and would end up getting in a wreck. The key is never watching the movie for more than a second or so without looking forward again. If you think you will go into a trance and just watch the movie without looking up every once in a while, you shouldn't try this. Plus I'm pretty sure this is illegal so you have to remember that too.

If anyone is interested in the car mount, I bought it here. I have iPhone 3G and you need to trim the car mount's plastic clip at the top a little to get it to fit right. Plus, as soon as GPS navigation software comes out, this mount is really gonna come in handy. Here's a YouTube video of the mount:

Alright, let the verbal lashing begin, I'm ready for it...

Steveo 90

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
can you promise you wont drive in s florida and i wont call you an idiot........

please be careful

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I watch movies on my iPhone while I drive. Yes this is bad but before you shun me as the biggest moron to ever own an iPhone, let me explain a little more. I have a really nice car mount that suction cups to my windshield and I've positioned the mount right above my steering wheel like this:

View attachment 3528

Now, I'm not an idiot in that I know this is obviously more dangerous to drive but let me tell you why I justify it:

• I'm not looking down in my lap but looking straight forward the whole time with the windshield just milimeters above the phone's screen. I can see everything just an inch away from my center of focus.
  • I don't just watch the movie the whole time by any means. I maybe watch 1 second of movie and then 5 seconds of road, kind of like looking down at the speedometer. If it's quick enough, it's never dangerous. And since the iPhone is actually right by the view of the road, it's an even quicker glance than looking at the speedometer.
And here are some of the great benefits of it!

• I have an auxiliary cable so I can run the sound of the movie throughout all the car speakers. Even when I'm not watching I can hear the movie loud and clear.
  • Red lights are a blast. I no longer dread waiting at them, but get excited that I get to just watch the movie.
  • iPhone remembers where you left off in the movie. When you get back in the car and start the movie again, it will start off where you left off.
  • It's like having a mini flat screen tv right in your car. (My next goal is to load up music videos on there and having video along with my car music.)
Let me say that I realize this is not for everyone. I've never been in a moving accident before and I consider myself very aware of everything on the road. While this is obviously more dangerous, I've got it down to an art where I still feel safe. I would bet however that there are many people who wouldn't be able to do this responsibly and would end up getting in a wreck. The key is never watching the movie for more than a second or so without looking forward again. If you think you will go into a trance and just watch the movie without looking up every once in a while, you shouldn't try this.

If anyone is interested in the car mount, I bought it here. I have iPhone 3G and you need to trim the car mount's plastic clip at the top a little to get it to fit right. Plus, as soon as GPS navigation software comes out, this mount is really gonna come in handy. Here's a YouTube video of the mount:

Alright, let the verbal lashing begin, I'm ready for it...
Actually, it makes me wonder about hooking up an iPhone to goggles. Would be nice to swim at the same time I'm watching Jaws. :)

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Just tell me where you'll be and I'll make sure to avoid the area like the plague!

I don't care how nice that car mount is, movies are for watching in your house or in a theater, not something moving down the road that could potentially kill someone if the driver isn't paying attention.

I have to deal with idiots yammering on their cell phones, not paying attention but watching a movie? You really need to reconsider doing that.

Jade

Sep 9, 2007
The idea isn't an "evil" one, and you may be an alert driver, but most other people on the road are not safe drivers. That's where the danger comes knocking on your door.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Just tell me where you'll be and I'll make sure to avoid the area like the plague!

I don't care how nice that car mount is, movies are for watching in your house or in a theater, not something moving down the road that could potentially kill someone if the driver isn't paying attention.

I have to deal with idiots yammering on their cell phones, not paying attention but watching a movie? You really need to reconsider doing that.
Like I said, I'm sure there are lots of idiots who wouldn't know how to do this responsibly. Just like a lot of people are a hazard on their cell phone in the car while others are just fine. But as long as you're only watching a second or so at a time, I don't see how it's any more dangerous than looking down at your speedometer.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
That's a good point. My boss was rear-ended last Friday driving home. When the state trooper asked what happened, my boss (possibly joking to me, I hope!) indicated that the driver couldn't remember where the brake pedal was.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
I would assume that would be a ticket if you were pulled over, and it doesn't seem like the safest idea. But I have to admit that being stuck in gridlock traffic it would make the time go by a lot more smoothly!

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Ive got an email i need to send you. It was a guy in Europe texting as he was driving, Decided rather than watching the road it was better to text his friends ..... Well long story short he hit a semi truck head on

EMS got there and took him out..................IN TWO PIECES if ya wondered his spine stayed connected to his bottom half

I admit i have texted on the road before but it been on desolate highways with no other traffic around

I would reconsider watching a movie as i was driving . And i thought driving with headphones on was bad :eek:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I think that guy is the same type of guy who would just watch the movie for like 10 seconds at a time, some people just aren't cut out for it. Not recommended.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Like I said, I'm sure there are lots of idiots who wouldn't know how to do this responsibly. Just like a lot of people are a hazard on their cell phone in the car while others are just fine. But as long as you're only watching a second or so at a time, I don't see how it's any more dangerous than looking down at your speedometer.
Maybe I couldn't handle the distraction, but I liken it to having TVs in a restaurant. My wife gets on me all the time because my eyes are drawn to them, especially if they have several and are on different channels. Could be a guy-thing, I don't know but the movement on the TV is distracting. A speedometer is less distracting because it's pretty static and silent. I understand that you basically glance at it and give more of your attention to the road, but I think it's still too much of a distraction.

The other thing it would do, at least for me, is take away or reduce the thing I call "driver's sense". That's when you can sense that someone is going to do something to cause you to react like change lanes without looking or turn out in front of you. I think I have a pretty keen driver's sense and riding a motorcycle has heightened it even more. In a car, if I had a video playing in front of my face, I'm pretty sure I'd miss some external cue that would involve me in an accident.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Thank you for this post. Perfect fodder for the launch of the EverythingiCafe iPhone Blog.

Last edited:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
And please reconsider this move. Take it from someone who knows. I ended up rear-ending someone years ago (back in my Treo 180 days). Luckily there was no damage, but there are too many stories of these things going bad.

Nice mount tough...:p

Cusca

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
ROMANIA
www.cusca.3dk.org
this is one of the most idiotic things i saw recently my best friend died in a bike crash a few months ago because of a careless driver, and you wonder why accidents happened, well here is a example

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Maybe I couldn't handle the distraction, but I liken it to having TVs in a restaurant. My wife gets on me all the time because my eyes are drawn to them, especially if they have several and are on different channels. Could be a guy-thing, I don't know but the movement on the TV is distracting. A speedometer is less distracting because it's pretty static and silent. I understand that you basically glance at it and give more of your attention to the road, but I think it's still too much of a distraction.

The other thing it would do, at least for me, is take away or reduce the thing I call "driver's sense". That's when you can sense that someone is going to do something to cause you to react like change lanes without looking or turn out in front of you. I think I have a pretty keen driver's sense and riding a motorcycle has heightened it even more. In a car, if I had a video playing in front of my face, I'm pretty sure I'd miss some external cue that would involve me in an accident.
What about driving down the center of Las Vegas with all the flashing lights and stuff, I would think those would cause a lot of wrecks but I don't ever hear about it. You make some very good points, nevertheless.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

He (and others) will always consider themselves to be driving "safely" until the big collision.

H

Hayesimus

it is one thing to glance at a text. but to have a video playing? dude... come on. you must value your life more that to risk it so frivilously. I implore you to do some research on vehicle accident statistics and see what percentage is caused by just this kind of distraction. You may be the safest driver in the world, but if you just glanced at your iPhone, you may not see the drunk driver veering into your lane...

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
.....You may be the safest driver in the world, but if you just glanced at your iPhone, you may not see the drunk driver veering into your lane...
Good point.
And I find the OP's reasoning ridiculous. You can't convince me you are the best driver and that glancing down every once in awhile is safe. Hopefully, you will be cited and you can then rethink your idea, before something fatal might happen.