I'm putting this here as PROOF (LOL)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I wanted Unlimited Text Messaging for my whole family.

SO... I called AT&T... the rep I spoke too said she was 100% sure (and I asked several time that she was sure) that I could downgrade my iPhone unlimited data plan to $20 per month to get unlimited data (I had $30 for unlimited data and 1500 text messages) and then get the $29.99 unlimited family msg plan - which means unlimited text messaging for all 3 phones on my plan (1 iPhone, 2 non-iphones).

So for $59.99 a month I have unlimited data on my iPhone and unlimited text messaging on all three phones on the family plan. (Plus voice charges obviously).

The reason I did this was because today I've been testing out using AIM to SMS messaging and it works well. It's a little clumbsy to get a conversation started, but once you do it's excellent. ANYONE can AIM a text message to you by using 1+ your phone number (example 15155551212), as long as you're logged in on your phone. Logging in is easy as pie -- just send a text message to 265000 that says YourUsername YourPassword (space in between). I used it all day with my husband and it was great, but obviously I needed to make sure I had unlimited text messaging, since it all goes through SMS/Text Messages.

Do keep in mine that when iChat DOES come to our iPhones I highly doubt it will be free. Chances are, your AIM or other IM messages will go towards your monthly text messaging totals, which is typical of just about any phone plan. Of course, I don't know this for sure, but I'm doubting it'll be considered part of the unlimited data.

Jul 3, 2007
I heard from somebody else (in a different group) that it was true. I haven't tried it yet, as I'm still waiting for those who have switched to get their first bill and confirm that it works.

Please keep me posted when you receive your bill.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I heard from somebody else (in a different group) that it was true. I haven't tried it yet, as I'm still waiting for those who have switched to get their first bill and confirm that it works.

Please keep me posted when you receive your bill.
Well I took her name and made her note it on my account that she ASSURED me I was getting unlimited data and unlimited text messaging on ALL phones, and not just unlimited text messaging with each other, but EVERYONE. I couldn't have asked her more times than I did - LOL

We'll see when the first bill comes...

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
So you are 100 percent sure? I pay 9.99 for my line and 20 for the data and text. How much would it cost for unlimited for me?

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
so can i just add a 5 dollar unlimited text to my iPhone? iam in a family plan with 2 other phones, and am currently paying $20 for unlimited data and 200 txt.

Jul 3, 2007
The $5 add on is for unlimited mobile to mobile text and that's a per line add on. What she's talking about is the $29.99 unlimited family text add on. That's $29.99 for the entire family plan account and you can text to anybody, in or outside of AT&T.

so can i just add a 5 dollar unlimited text to my iPhone? iam in a family plan with 2 other phones, and am currently paying $20 for unlimited data and 200 txt.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
So you are 100 percent sure? I pay 9.99 for my line and 20 for the data and text. How much would it cost for unlimited for me?
It wouldn't save you anything. He still has the iPhone data plan; he just lowered it to the lowest level ($20) and added an unlimited texting plan to his familytalk plan.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
The $5 add on is for unlimited mobile to mobile text and that's a per line add on. What she's talking about is the $29.99 unlimited family text add on. That's $29.99 for the entire family plan account and you can text to anybody, in or outside of AT&T.

I think the 5 dollar unlimited in INSIDE att only.

And wouldn't you save money cols? To upgrade iPhone to unlimited is 15 bucks extra right?

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
The plan I have is part of a family plan.

FamilyTalk Nation 550
Rollover & Unlimited Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile (meaning within AT&T)
(on all phones in plan)
$50.00

FAMILY MSG UNLIMITED

unlimited text messages on all phones in plan AND to ALL cellphones in or out of network.
$29.99

iPhone DATA + 200 (the standard package)
unlimited data
$20.00

Second phone (non-iphone): $9.99

Third phone (non-iphone): $9.99

For a grand total of: $119.97 (not including taxes)

My husbands is basically for emergencies, and my daughter does way more text messaging than talking.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
so its 9.99 a line then? you said your husband you and your daughter. If thas the case I was getting majorly ripped because i was paying 999 for 400.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
so its 9.99 a line then? you said your husband you and your daughter. If thas the case I was getting majorly ripped because i was paying 999 for 400.
I checked right online as to what my plan says before I posted. The additional lines are $9.99 each. Understand though, the 550 minutes is not PER phone, it's for all the phones combined. It's fine for us since most of the talking we do is to each other, and me and my daughter do a lot more text messaging with other people (and not so much talking) -- we'll never go over the 550 minutes. I have something like 4000 rollover minutes right now.

Jul 3, 2007
My husband just called customer care and was told you cannot combine the family text plan with the iPhone plan. We asked him to check again and he put us on hold for a long time (1/2 hour). When he came back, he said he checked with several people and the answer was no.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
My husband just called customer care and was told you cannot combine the family text plan with the iPhone plan. We asked him to check again and he put us on hold for a long time (1/2 hour). When he came back, he said he checked with several people and the answer was no.
Here's a screen shot from my account:

I was told the same thing as you a few days after I got my iPhone... when I called yesterday to increase my iPhone to unlimited texting (and I was only going to increase it on my iPhone and leave the other two phones on the account alone), she told me it would be better to get the family text messaging plan. I must have asked her 10 times if she was SURE I could do it, and she also put me on hold. She even documented my account that she told me it I could do this.

IceTrAiN

Bronze
Do keep in mine that when iChat DOES come to our iPhones I highly doubt it will be free. Chances are, your AIM or other IM messages will go towards your monthly text messaging totals, which is typical of just about any phone plan. Of course, I don't know this for sure, but I'm doubting it'll be considered part of the unlimited data.
I've used AIM with 2 different providers with 3 different phones and the AIM program has always counted towards data.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The plan I have is part of a family plan.

FamilyTalk Nation 550
Rollover & Unlimited Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile (meaning within AT&T)
(on all phones in plan)
$50.00

FAMILY MSG UNLIMITED

unlimited text messages on all phones in plan AND to ALL cellphones in or out of network.
$29.99

iPhone DATA + 200 (the standard package)
unlimited data
$20.00

Second phone (non-iphone): $9.99

Third phone (non-iphone): $9.99

For a grand total of: $119.97 (not including taxes)
Wow, that seems expensive to me, coming from Sprint (which I still have for three lines, two of which will be kept--especially after reading this thread!).

I have a grandfathered plan with Sprint and get unlimited text on all three lines, unlimited data on all three lines, the usual unlimited M2M and N&W, free roaming, family locater service, and 2,000 anytime minutes for $94.99 a month.

I don't even wanna think what that would cost me to replicate on AT&T.

EDIT: Dang, if I knew this thread was going to be buried in the AT&T forum I wouldn't have bothered replying.

--
Mike

Jul 3, 2007
Have you (or anybody else with a family text plan) received your bill yet? I'm curious to see if there are any problems with making sure the texts are credited against the unlimited family text as opposed to the iPhone data (which has 200 texts).

I've got the smallest iPhone plan ($20) and unlimited texting for our familytalk plan as well (1 iPhone, 1 noniPhone) I didn't have an issue switching it at all.

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
I wanted Unlimited Text Messaging for my whole family.

SO... I called AT&T... the rep I spoke too said she was 100% sure (and I asked several time that she was sure) that I could downgrade my iPhone unlimited data plan to $20 per month to get unlimited data (I had $30 for unlimited data and 1500 text messages) and then get the $29.99 unlimited family msg plan - which means unlimited text messaging for all 3 phones on my plan (1 iPhone, 2 non-iphones).

So for $59.99 a month I have unlimited data on my iPhone and unlimited text messaging on all three phones on the family plan. (Plus voice charges obviously).

The reason I did this was because today I've been testing out using AIM to SMS messaging and it works well. It's a little clumbsy to get a conversation started, but once you do it's excellent. ANYONE can AIM a text message to you by using 1+ your phone number (example 15155551212), as long as you're logged in on your phone. Logging in is easy as pie -- just send a text message to 265000 that says YourUsername YourPassword (space in between). I used it all day with my husband and it was great, but obviously I needed to make sure I had unlimited text messaging, since it all goes through SMS/Text Messages.

You can avoid the whole text message thing if you use jivetalk for the iPhone...it uses your data as it is a web based app that runs straight from safari....its fairly new but worth using right now considering you don't waste text messages!