I'm so confused

iLike

Feb 2, 2008
OK all I want to do is buy my iPhone from Apple.com unlock it so I can use my t-mobile sim, unlock it so I can add 3rd party apps, and possible get 1.1.3 update but most important is unlocking it to use with t-mobile sim. Lately I've being getting so confused by all the topics I've read. I need someone to confirm that I can do all of the above if not just time exactly what I need to do to aleast sim unlock it, so I can avoid buying a whole unlocked iPhone from ebay. I want to do it myself. Please help me!

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I think you should be ok providing that the firmware is 1.1.2 or before I believe.....

how to tell what firmware is in what box....I'm not sure but I think I read`something about the serial numbers containing some series of numbers to tell what firmware is on the phone. Search this site. How you can "choose" what serial number you want while at Apple seems like a RED FLAG for those guys......good luck search around

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
you cannot software unlock a brand new iPhone that you would buy from Apple.com.

i would recommend buying one from ebay, and making sure that it is 1.1.1 OTB and that the serial's 4th and 5th number are less than 45 (i.e. 7T744 is good, where 84752 wouldn't work)

iLike

Feb 2, 2008
you cannot software unlock a brand new iPhone that you would buy from Apple.com.

i would recommend buying one from ebay, and making sure that it is 1.1.1 OTB and that the serial's 4th and 5th number are less than 45 (i.e. 7T744 is good, where 84752 wouldn't work)
So tell me what you did because I see you have a 8 gig iPhone unlocked for t-mobile and it is running the 1.1.3 update thats all I really want to do is have my iPhone exactly like yours. I already now about Nate True I've seen the video at bleeding edge a dozen times.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
my phone was an 8gig 1.1.1 OTB that was week 44 (7T744...) phone.

any phone from week 45 and below can be easily unlocked using a software method, because they have the olderbootloader that allows the baseband to be changed easily to bypass the simlock.

however, any phone with 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 OTB would not be unlockable with anything other than a **SIM (turbosim, stealthsim, etc etc.)

I bought my phone in early November, before 1.1.2 was released. so I was in luck.

iLike

Feb 2, 2008
my phone was an 8gig 1.1.1 OTB that was week 44 (7T744...) phone.

any phone from week 45 and below can be easily unlocked using a software method, because they have the olderbootloader that allows the baseband to be changed easily to bypass the simlock.

however, any phone with 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 OTB would not be unlockable with anything other than a **SIM (turbosim, stealthsim, etc etc.)

I bought my phone in early November, before 1.1.2 was released. so I was in luck.

So if I did get a brand new iPhone from Apple.com I would be able to unlock it with turbosim right, my question is how hard would it be, would it take a couple of times. Also I am bidding on a brand new iPhone that the seller says is unlocked and updated to 1.1.3 the current bid is now 335.00. It looks legit too, is a power seller so maybe that will go well and I will end paying about 400.00 for a mint condition iPhone that is unlocked.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
yeah.

thing is, I'm not a turbosim unlocker.

I'm not sure if a 1.1.3 OTB can be used with turbosim, so you might be better off getting the ebay one.

iLike

Feb 2, 2008
yeah.

thing is, I'm not a turbosim unlocker.

I'm not sure if a 1.1.3 OTB can be used with turbosim, so you might be better off getting the ebay one.

Actually the price went up to 455.00 and is still going but I know exactly what I'm a do I will buy a turbosim and get an iPhone from Apple.co (assuming its version 1.1.2) and follow the instructions I got from a turbosim website.

Thans for you help by the way.

phred26

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
Oakville, ON, Canada
UPDATE - new iPhones, even ones purchased from Apple.com can be unlocked using software only.
Hey, so you seem to know your stuff, can you please help me?

I just bought my iPhone 2 days ago and i absolutely love it. I live in Canada and I bought it unlocked, it's 1.1.3, and the guy at the store gave it to me with Installer already on it...well I deleted some apps and now my installer is acting weird and it's missing a bunch of applications. I've tried relaunching it and everything but nothing seems to work. I really just want to restore it but I'm afraid of having it lock again, I know it will. I've looked at all the threads but I just want a clear, safe, way of unlocking it after I restore it. Sorry for asking questions that have been answered before but I love my iPhone and I don't want to mess it up lol. If you can, can you give me a link or a walkthrough of how to unlock it safely. Also, will I lose my contacts and songs if I restore and unlock it?

Sorry again and thank you!

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
OK all I want to do is buy my iPhone from Apple.com unlock it so I can use my t-mobile sim, unlock it so I can add 3rd party apps, and possible get 1.1.3 update but most important is unlocking it to use with t-mobile sim. Lately I've being getting so confused by all the topics I've read. I need someone to confirm that I can do all of the above if not just time exactly what I need to do to aleast sim unlock it, so I can avoid buying a whole unlocked iPhone from ebay. I want to do it myself. Please help me!
I can solve all your problems..

1. Cancel tmobile
2. Purchase iPhone
3. you know have AT&T
4. wait a week or so for the sdk 1.1.4 to drop
5. enjoy
6 repeat #5

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
Hey, so you seem to know your stuff, can you please help me?

I just bought my iPhone 2 days ago and i absolutely love it. I live in Canada and I bought it unlocked, it's 1.1.3, and the guy at the store gave it to me with Installer already on it...well I deleted some apps and now my installer is acting weird and it's missing a bunch of applications. I've tried relaunching it and everything but nothing seems to work. I really just want to restore it but I'm afraid of having it lock again, I know it will. I've looked at all the threads but I just want a clear, safe, way of unlocking it after I restore it. Sorry for asking questions that have been answered before but I love my iPhone and I don't want to mess it up lol. If you can, can you give me a link or a walkthrough of how to unlock it safely. Also, will I lose my contacts and songs if I restore and unlock it?

Sorry again and thank you!
if your are using windows download ibrickr and install installer through ibrickr, that should fix your installer. if your using Apple i think the program is ifuntastic. just google it and you will fond it.