I'm stumped!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kmac21

Oct 9, 2007
I have installer on my iPhone, and realized all of my custom ringtones had stopped working. I still have version 1.02 and i realized it wasn't just my ringtones.

Even if i set the default ringtone to something it came pre-loaded with it makes no noise upon receiving a phone call, it won't vibrate. Also; it wont make click noises or sms-received noises even though they are all turned up and on in the settings menu.

Is there some kind of mute I did without knowing on accident or is something actually messed up? External speakers still work fine for iTunes and other programs.

so confused.

Jul 23, 2007
I have installer on my iPhone, and realized all of my custom ringtones had stopped working. I still have version 1.02 and i realized it wasn't just my ringtones.

Even if i set the default ringtone to something it came pre-loaded with it makes no noise upon receiving a phone call, it won't vibrate. Also; it wont make click noises or sms-received noises even though they are all turned up and on in the settings menu.

Is there some kind of mute I did without knowing on accident or is something actually messed up? External speakers still work fine for iTunes and other programs.

so confused.
Try to restore your phone through iTunes first and then see what happens. Did you try to reset the phone ?

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007

so confused.
my suggest is u should try reseting your iPhone

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
my suggest is u should try reseting your iPhone
this is how to reset:
turn iPhone off and turn it on again. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button on top of iPhone for a few seconds until a red slider appears, then slide the slider. Then press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.:laugh2:

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Try plugging and unplugging the headphones in and out several times. This will often clear the problem.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

so confused.
It sounds like you have the silence switch on silent.

And, kmap, welcome to EIP!

--
Mike

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Another thing that could have happened as it happened to me and I freaked was you somehow turned the ring tone volume down and did not realize it. I know this sounds stupid, but I always have the ring volume at max. If I ever mute it I do it via the switch I never manually turn it down.

Well this past weekend I was setting a new contact, assigned a ring tone and noticed it did not play. I checked the system and that ring tone and sure enough, it did not play. I thought I had that speaker issue that some people have and was ready to toss my phone out the window and for some reason I decided to make sure that the ring volume was all the way up and sure enough it was all the way down. I know the software did it, I know it did, I just don't know how.

kmac21

Oct 9, 2007
I'm so confused and stumped.

Tried everything, tried restarting it, tried plugging in and taking out headphones, etc.

I ran a restore to the same version of software i'm at (1.02)

and i am STILL stuck with the same problem.

It just won't make noises through the speaker, slide to unlock, keyboard clicking, phone calls. Nothing. iTunes works fine through the speaker as does youtube, etc. So i know the speaker isn't dead.

If i plug in headphones I can hear my ringtones through them when I get a phone call, but that's it.

Still no keyboard clicking etc.

Even after a restore im facing the exact same problems. I'm still thinking i somehow triggered some kind of global mute, that or my iPhones messed up pretty bad.

Advice?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm so confused and stumped.

Tried everything, tried restarting it, tried plugging in and taking out headphones, etc.

I ran a restore to the same version of software i'm at (1.02)

and i am STILL stuck with the same problem.

It just won't make noises through the speaker, slide to unlock, keyboard clicking, phone calls. Nothing. iTunes works fine through the speaker as does youtube, etc. So i know the speaker isn't dead.

If i plug in headphones I can hear my ringtones through them when I get a phone call, but that's it.

Still no keyboard clicking etc.

Even after a restore im facing the exact same problems. I'm still thinking i somehow triggered some kind of global mute, that or my iPhones messed up pretty bad.

Advice?
Again, are you sure the ring/silence switch wasn't switched to silent? The symptoms you describe, aside from not vibrating, could all be explained by this switch. If I put my iPhone in silent mode it won't ring, won't notify audibly of SMS or VM, won't click on keyboard entry, etc. But it will play music and video sounds just fine.

The silent switch is on the side of the iphone--it's a physical switch.

--
Mike