I'm switching service...

CobraRC

May 28, 2008
CA
from AT&T to tmobile and that means no more iPhone. My question is: will I still be able to use my iPhone as an ipod, and use the internet with wifi, and keep updating the firmware? If it needs to be j'broken it already is so thats no problem for me. I've searched the threads but its kinda hard to find any info so if you know, please help me. And I don't want to unlock the iPhone so that is not an option.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It will still work, similar to an iPod Touch.

Why not unlock it? You're already JB. Is it because your running 2.2.1? If so, you could just get a SIM card unlock for it.

On a side note, how about getting a factory unlocked iPhone from overseas? That way you could use it with T-Mobile without ever needing to jailbreak it or unlock it. You'll always have the latest FW updates with no risk of locking it and you could buy prepaid local SIM cards when traveling overseas.

I'm thinking about getting one. Not sure how much they cost yet, but I'm guessing $600/700. But if you sell your current 3G, you could make some of that money.

CobraRC

May 28, 2008
CA
It will still work, similar to an iPod Touch.

Why not unlock it? You're already JB. Is it because your running 2.2.1? If so, you could just get a SIM card unlock for it.

On a side note, how about getting a factory unlocked iPhone from overseas? That way you could use it with T-Mobile without ever needing to jailbreak it or unlock it. You'll always have the latest FW updates with no risk of locking it and you could buy prepaid local SIM cards when traveling overseas.

I'm thinking about getting one. Not sure how much they cost yet, but I'm guessing $600/700. But if you sell your current 3G, you could make some of that money.
First of all, I was thinking of getting a cheap phone with a good camera because I like taking pictures (especially at night). Secondly, I'm on a tight budget and T-mobile is cheap hence the switch. That's also the reason I'm not considering buying an unlocked iPhone.

So as you can see, my only real concern was losing the ability to listen to music, download and play games, updating my iPhone's fw, and using the internet with wifi.

Thanks for the reply though.