Im tethering while txting pictures with MMS

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
http://www.krillr.com/blog/QLB36JMS/alright-folks-new-mms-hack

tethering set up is probably as easy as going on a site and clicking on a link, then reboot and you are teather ready! here is a video on youtube on how to set up teathering,

you might need to call ATT to enable MMS, however, i didn't have to because i got them to enable it a while back during 2.2.1 days when i tried mms with a jailbroken iPhone, still wasn't able to txt pictures tho, but since i went to 3.0 i couldnt mms anymore, but im able to mms now after doing all the steps.

here is another tricky part, you wont be able to mms another person with an iPhone unless they do this exact thing, and maybe call ATT as well to get mms enabled.

to know if you phone does send mms or not, you will either get an error symbol or it will send without any error, however, the person with another iPhone, will still not get it, unless they do this same trick. Then let them send you a picture back, if they don't get an error and you don't get an error then you guys can send each other pictures all day long!

im assuming once ATT allows MMS for everyone, they will work out a deal with Apple and they will release a new 3.0.1 version, which would allow everyone to mms , but my guess is, if you have this working on the 3.0 and they no longer sensor mms feature on the iPhones then i don't think you would need to upgrade to 3.0.1?

if this all works out, and att doesn't sensor mms anymore then ill just stay with 3.0 and get it JBed and probably never upgrade anymore :)

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
this is dumb, it stopped working the next day, im not able to send multiple txt at once now because it sends it as MMS group txt and my visual voice mail stopped working as well, i called ATT they checked my voice mail settings, said everything is good to go and i need to restart and set up visual voice mail again.

i restarted and still no visual voice mail.

im going to try and restore, and keep trying to the day ATT allows MMS!

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
The reason that it stopped working is because they correctly provisioned your line and as soon as every line is correctly provisioned AT&T will be able to flip the switch for everyone to be able to use it. The more you keep trying to provision it yourself just delays it even longer. I enjoyed it for the entire beta period and when I lost it I called to try and get it back. What I was told is that all 3GS iPhones are already provisioned using a different method than us calling and asking for it and they are currently switching all the 3G's over to that provisioning method. Apple built provisioning into the phone and that is why we have been able to get it working over and over again, but for it to work permanently without us having to do anything they are currently working into their system a way so it works just like any other phone.

But what really made me mad was the fact that AT&T has known that they needed to support it since December 2008! That was plenty of time to figure out a way to have it ready for us on launch.

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
I've been doing this since March... It stopped working once i got the 3GS, but got it to work on that within hours.

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
so the question is, will we be able to MMS only after new 3.0.1 software is out, or just use 3.0 to mms?

im wondering why visual voice doesn't work, i even called and they checked everyhting is all fine, also i restored the phone, still no visual voice, my fiance is in the same boat, since i did the same thing to her, is there a way to fix visual voice?

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
This is not easy.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
so the question is, will we be able to MMS only after new 3.0.1 software is out, or just use 3.0 to mms?

im wondering why visual voice doesn't work, i even called and they checked everyhting is all fine, also i restored the phone, still no visual voice, my fiance is in the same boat, since i did the same thing to her, is there a way to fix visual voice?
If you have the "clleular data network" settings under General>Network and you can input the APN for voicemail...make sure the apn is acds.voicemail

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
As soon as AT&T is ready they will give us a carrier update through iTunes which will probably only be applied if you have the stock carrier file 4.0. If you have 5.0 it will probably think you are already updated and you will be stuck with 5.0 which might not be compatible with the new mms system. But the 4.0 carrier file has been posted on another mms thread here if you have problems updating from 5.0 when they release it. The only way it would be included in 3.0.1 would be if it takes them that long to get it ready and when they are ready Apple has an update they are going to release.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If you have the "clleular data network" settings under General>Network and you can input the APN for voicemail...make sure the apn is acds.voicemail
Shutter, This is the second time you have posted these instructions, and I want to know how you are seeing anything that says " Cellular Data Network, under Settings, General, Network on the iPhone?
Cellular Data Network is not an option under my network settings in my phone. I have the Toggle for 3G, the Data Roaming toggle, Wifi, and VPN and that's it.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Shutter, This is the second time you have posted these instructions, and I want to know how you are seeing anything that says " Cellular Data Network, under Settings, General, Network on the iPhone?
Cellular Data Network is not an option under my network settings in my phone. I have the Toggle for 3G, the Data Roaming toggle, Wifi, and VPN and that's it.
In an effort to get MMS, many users have loaded a custom ipcc file, which enables (un hides) the "cellular data network" setting. I went back to stock yesterday and no longer have that setting either, but when I was on the AT&T 5.0 carrier settings I did. When you load that ipcc file it changes the voicemail apn to wap.cingular. with that apn I can still get my voicemail...but it would come in very slow, when I changed the APN to acds.voicemail (under the voicemail option) it started coming in like it used to.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Gotcha. Right now, if you enable tethering via the website on your iPhone, all you have to do is once it's enabled, go to the home screen, open the phone options, and click the voicemail icon. 99% of the time, it's going to call your mailbox automatically. once you connect, review a message and then use * to get out. Reboot and then everything (visual Voicemail) should be working normally again, and tethering will still be enabled.

FAMEDASH

Jun 17, 2009
jersey ****ty, nj
so we can confirm that tethering will work with this guide? don't really need mms like that for myself rather have tethering working

jepoy_

Jun 25, 2009
Oceanside, CA
i'm going in to get my iPhone replaced tomorrow (broken ringer switch) but I wanted to know if Apple is going to be pissed that i have the 5.0 ipcc file installed. I don't know how to revert back to 4.0 or whatever it is supposed to be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
i'm going in to get my iPhone replaced tomorrow (broken ringer switch) but I wanted to know if Apple is going to be pissed that i have the 5.0 ipcc file installed. I don't know how to revert back to 4.0 or whatever it is supposed to be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys
Just restore your phone to the 3.0 firmware through iTunes.

bikerboy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Ohio, USA
Sorry to sound noob, but I have the 3gs and I can't find the mms option on either my messages or my picture, Whats wrong ? And it is 3.0 iPhone3gs
help appreciated, thanks

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
Sorry to sound noob, but I have the 3gs and I can't find the mms option on either my messages or my picture, Whats wrong ? And it is 3.0 iPhone3gs
help appreciated, thanks
It's not out yet..

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
So we don't have the option on the phone yet ? Or the seervice isn't active yet ?
Yes. The option is currently hidden because the service isn't active for iPhone users yet.