Im thinking of making my iPhone better?

chris5468

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Springfield,il
Well ive been thinking about jailbreaking or unlocking or whatever its called. But I have no idea how to. Plus with the sdk coming out I could wait but I just want to do "cool things" with my iPhone right now. So I guess my problem is when the SDK comes out can I just restore my phones sofware to new without there being a problem? And if so can I get a link on the best way to jailbreak it. Thanks

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Jailbreaking and unlocking the iPhone has never been easier. In the case that you want to upgrade to the newest firmware immediately when the SDK applications become available then a full restore will set your phone back to factory settings and you will be clear for the upgrade. Here is the site to download the JB/unlock software. The entire process takes under 5 minutes. http://www.ziPhone.org/

Once you're jailbroken just play around with Installer and try out some applications you think you might like.

H

Hayesimus

yeah, you can jailbreak, unlocking is only good if you want to use a carrier other than AT&T. And then when you are done modding your phone and everything is great, Apple will come out with an update for the firmware. But that doesn't mean you have to restore right away. I'd recommend waiting a couple weeks to see if the iPhone gurus out there come up with a way to jailbreak it. They surely will, its just that I wouldn't update and be stuck with stock features for a month if it was me. But to jailbreak there are a few programs out there. iLiberty and ZiPhone are a couple good ones. It will also help people to help you if they know what computer system you are using. A mac or a PC.

H

Hayesimus

good luck and happy modding. There are people here to answer any questions so feel free to ask no matter how stupid they may seem at first.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Thanks guys ive began the jailbreak already I can't wait!;)
well how did it go? I am still stock but was thinking of the very same the question I want to ask is .... what programs are available that would really make you want to jailbreak? What's your 'best of' list?

H

Hayesimus

well any of the customization apps. like summerboard and customize. who wants a black screen anyway. and you can change your icons to whatever you want. example...
002.jpg

H

Hayesimus

well that's really the only reason i tried jailbreaking. everything else it just extra.

H

Hayesimus

i dunno. i can make icons that directly dial my friends number. example:

001.JPG

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
yeah, you can jailbreak, unlocking is only good if you want to use a carrier other than AT&T. And then when you are done modding your phone and everything is great, Apple will come out with an update for the firmware. But that doesn't mean you have to restore right away. I'd recommend waiting a couple weeks to see if the iPhone gurus out there come up with a way to jailbreak it. They surely will, its just that I wouldn't update and be stuck with stock features for a month if it was me. But to jailbreak there are a few programs out there. iLiberty and ZiPhone are a couple good ones. It will also help people to help you if they know what computer system you are using. A mac or a PC.
The Dev Team's Pwnage Tool claims to change the whole 'wait for the nxt jailbreak' scenario quite a bit - as it is said to be able to jailbreak *whichever* firmware comes down the pipe from Apple - and allow you to just 'restore' a custom, jailbroken firmware onto your phone directly via iTunes.

If this holds up when 2.0 emerges, it will make everything a whole bunch easier.

I've only used it with 1.1.4 so far, but I'm well happy with it ...

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
your best bet would be to go to the iPhone modification board to get a better listing of jailbreak must have apps.
Yeah just been over there, trying the lazy mans option! There must be a thread I just can find it.

H

Hayesimus

lol. its really easy too. there is an app called Springdial i believe. You first have to have a photo set to the contacts you wish to make an icon for. Then tap the springdial app and you can select which one you want to create and what to call it. and then bam, you have your contacts app. only thing is it won't look like mine up there. it will just be a thumbnail of the pic you have set for your contact. I went in and replaced the thumbnail with an icon i created in Paint Shop Pro. Which is also fairly easy to do.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
There are tons of apps by now, and the 'Must Have' list is obviously very unique to each person.

If you're sticking to the lazy approach rather than finding past threads on this, I think you'd be better off starting with 'I'd really like to know if there are programs that do XYZ' that particularly interest you.

I say this because by now there are apps to cover *almost* every big category - ebook readers, games of all kinds, utilities, toys, some productivity apps etc ....

H

Hayesimus

dang... a "Lazy" stab. :p