I'm thinking of making the switch...

from pc to mac for school! im just in a dilemma... i don't know which one to go with! im leaning towards the macbook or macbook pro... i just don't know which is good for a college student... i cant decide... anyone wanna give me some advice:laugh2:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
What kind of things are you going to be using a computer for in school?

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Well I think it depends on what you are majoring in. If you are an english major, a macbook might be fine, but if you are doing something with art, where you need to design things on the computer, a MBP would be better.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It really does depend on what you really want to use the computer for. If you want basic computing with easy internet access, word processors and other simple tasks then the MB should do you very well, it's the computer of choice amongst college students. If you need something a bit more powerful for your decided coursework then you might want to go for the MBP.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
It seems like for what you need it for, a MacBook will be fine. :)

Hurry up and go buy one! :D

It seems like for what you need it for, a MacBook will be fine. :)

Hurry up and go buy one! :D

oh i plan to! i just got my financial aid and im ready to go get it! but i don't live near an Apple store :( the closest one is about 3 hrs away! is it the same as buying it from bestbuy as it is getting it at the Apple store?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
oh i plan to! i just got my financial aid and im ready to go get it! but i don't live near an Apple store :( the closest one is about 3 hrs away! is it the same as buying it from bestbuy as it is getting it at the Apple store?
What about custom ordering on Apple.com?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Best Buy can't offer you the kind of deal that Apple is doing now with the free iPod along with the purchase of a new Mac AND the student discount on top of it.

Best Buy should be able to price match PART of that, but not the full amount. The only thing they'll have that Apple doesn't are Service Plans with accidental damage coverage. This is very handy on notebooks that are carried around a lot, eaten around, etc. The other thing is if you DO have problems with whatever Mac you get, it sounds like taking it to an Apple store is not a convenient option... whereas if you got a Best Buy service plan, it would be a lot closer (from what you mentioned earlier).

So... kinda depends on what you need. If you're looking for a good deal, a new ipod, and you take care of your stuff, go to Apple. If you're accident prone, and want the convenience of Best Buy, then go there.

Anyway, do you plan on gaming at all? Doesn't sound like you're going to be doing any other graphics-oriented activities, so if not, i think a MacBook will suit you perfectly.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
As said above, a MacBook will be fine for journalism and other general use. A Pro would only be necessary should you be venturing into graphic design and the like.

Keep in mind however, the rumors of new MacBooks in September. I realize you need it for school, but if you can hold off, it would be wise to. It's not fun buying a product and having a new version released a month later.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Bring in a student ID, and you will get a killer discount on the MacBook, software and the Protection Plan. I brought in my College ID (5 years after graduating from college), and they gave me the discount (sales rep recommended it, even though I was already out of college....Nice dude). If you don't have one, you can order online, and just put in the name of your college, and order it all online....you will still get the same discount.

It saved me almost $600 overall.

Crazy, huh?

As said above, a MacBook will be fine for journalism and other general use. A Pro would only be necessary should you be venturing into graphic design and the like.

Keep in mind however, the rumors of new MacBooks in September. I realize you need it for school, but if you can hold off, it would be wise to. It's not fun buying a product and having a new version released a month later.
I'm leaning towards waiting to see if a new one comes out... I get some more money in the beginning of October so I might get it then...

Bring in a student ID, and you will get a killer discount on the MacBook, software and the Protection Plan. I brought in my College ID (5 years after graduating from college), and they gave me the discount (sales rep recommended it, even though I was already out of college....Nice dude). If you don't have one, you can order online, and just put in the name of your college, and order it all online....you will still get the same discount.

It saved me almost $600 overall.

Crazy, huh?

So they give that big of a discount for students?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'd wait for the new MacBook. From what I've read, we should be seeing an announcement in the next few weeks or so. Your October timeframe sounds perfect. Hold out another month and then go MB.

Last edited:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
So they give that big of a discount for students?
I believe it is 10%. I got my daughter a MBP for graduation and she also needed MS Office. The discount on the laptop just about paid for the software.:)
And I agree with the others: the macbook should serve you well for your needs.

Just looked up the receipt and it is 10% and more than paid for MS Office.:cool:

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
don't make the switch
PC is 100% better than Mac
all Mac has is a nice GUI