I'm tired of the elite attitude

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Did you hide your phone or show it off?

• Yes I used iPhone discreetly

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • No I showed it off like an old man with his new corvette

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Ok I'm going to use this article as a generic example:
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...teve-jobs.aspx

Ok after some heated debating yesterday I can see the point of some people being upset about the $200 price cut and not going to lash out at people being babies or anything like that. I understand everyones frustration. I myself don't think its a big deal but thats just me. To each his/her own. I got my iPhone within the first couple days and don't think I deserve a refund after 2 months. Like I said thats just me. I think the 14 day thing is more then fair and I don't feel like i've been taken advantage of.

But I have an issue with some of the elite statements I'm reading. Like these two quotes from the above article:

"But it felt cool having a phone that everyone wanted but not everyone could have. However, with the phone now retailing for $400, the device will be financially accessible to a wider audience."

"The early adopters who set the trends"

And various similar statements on this forum. I didn't buy the iPhone to be the cool kid on the block and I could care less who else has one. I don't get my jollies off someone saying "Awww cool you got an iPhone, wish I could afford one" (btw to which I always replied, don't worry it will drop in price and you'll get one. Hell by this time next year it will prob be free with a 2 year contract. Most people forget that the retail price of most phones are HUGE but you get a massive discount with a 2 year contract. Though this wasn't applicable to the iPhone at first, but im sure in the future it will be). Ok back to my point. I understand the Apple community and the sense of pride they have being a MAC user or a iPhone person, but the elitist attitude kind of makes me sick. I didn't switch from PCs to Apple because I wanted to be elite, cool or trendy. I made the switch because they make great products.

Sorry I just had to vent because I can understand people being mad and upset about the price drop but all this side elite stuff is just lame. And remember what happened on South Park when there was too much "smug"!

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
P.S.

You can always say with a smug attitude when someone else says they just got an iPhone "Yes thats cute, but I got mine when it was $600" and you can still be elite.

Maybe we can make gold foil stickers for the back saying
"This isn't a $400 iPhone, This IS a $600 iPhone"

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
That was kind of mean....,
I'm saying I'm not going to do what has been going on for the last 24 hours on here with the name calling and all that. I don't think in any of my prior posts i have attacked anyone personally. (though there maybe have one or two that got heated but i cant remember) That wasn't meant as an attack or a "sly" way to call people cry babies.

lci3341

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007

Ok after some heated debating yesterday I can see the point of some people being upset about the $200 price cut and not going to lash out at people being babies or anything like that. I understand everyones frustration. I myself don't think its a big deal but thats just me. To each his/her own. I got my iPhone within the first couple days and don't think I deserve a refund after 2 months. Like I said thats just me. I think the 14 day thing is more then fair and I don't feel like i've been taken advantage of.

But I have an issue with some of the elite statements I'm reading. Like these two quotes from the above article:

"But it felt cool having a phone that everyone wanted but not everyone could have. However, with the phone now retailing for $400, the device will be financially accessible to a wider audience."

And various similar statements on this forum. I didn't buy the iPhone to be the cool kid on the block and I could care less who else has one. I don't get my jollies off someone saying "Awww cool you got an iPhone, wish I could afford one" (btw to which I always replied, don't worry it will drop in price and you'll get one. Hell by this time next year it will prob be free with a 2 year contract. Most people forget that the retail price of most phones are HUGE but you get a massive discount with a 2 year contract. Though this wasn't applicable to the iPhone at first, but im sure in the future it will be). Ok back to my point. I understand the Apple community and the sense of pride they have being a MAC user or a iPhone person, but the elitist attitude kind of makes me sick. I didn't switch from PCs to Apple because I wanted to be elite, cool or trendy. I made the switch because they make great products.

Sorry I just had to vent because I can understand people being mad and upset about the price drop but all this side elite stuff is just lame. And remember what happened on South Park when there was too much "smug"!
Yeah I don't like the elite attitude either. I didn't even tell some friends I bought an iPhone because I didn't want them to think of me differently.. "Oh he must be cool or rich or whatever..." I put my phone in a non-descript case-- i actually had to buy a universal smart phone case because most other iPhone cases/holsters were designed to "show off your iPhone".

Those comments in some of the articles do not represent the reason that the majority of people are upset about this..

trojan21

Jun 27, 2007
I personally didn't buy the phone to brag that I have one, I got it because of the features (web browsing, UI, etc.) I would suspect a great majority of people to have done the same. But a lot of people and columnist seem to have the impression that "all" the early adopters bought it to say that they are an elite group....which is dumb. The first few days I was getting comments like that and I was trying to be discreet about the phone too, and not bringing it out of my pocket too much.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
The gold sticker thing is kind of funny!
But I get what your saying, I didn't want it for any kind of status, I just wanted a nice ipod that came with a phone, internet, etc.

p.s. I also wasn't showing my phone around either, I kept mine out of sight usually because it's no one's businesss what phone I have.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
But that's the problem for so many of us: this price drop was NOT expected, nor was it reasonably foreseeable...

First, regarding new phone price drops: Post-initial launch price cuts are due to carriers subsidizing phones to the customer. The carrier pays part of the phone cost, and recoups it in the contract price. This isn't the case here however, as ATT does NOT subsidize the phone, nor will it for the next 2 years. Instead, ATT pays a "kickback" to Apple for each contract signed. This has NEVER been done before, and with ATT already paying money for every contract to Apple, I can't imagine they'd ever agree to pay more by subsidizing the phone.

Second, regarding Apple pricing: Apple has also NEVER done anything even remotely like this pricing reduction. The iPod 5G, for example, had it's price dropped by $50 (a 16% reduction) after it had been on the market for a YEAR.

Both of the above items were considerations of mine when purchasing. At first, I didn't want to pay $600 for the device, thinking it was too high, and prices would come down. But, when news of the "kickbacks" came out, it killed the subsidized argument, and when I did the research on the 5G (the most recent device release), I realized that Apple rarely reduces pricing on it's iPod devices, and if it does, not for quite a while.

Couple this with the 60 day timeframe, and you realize that Apple initially priced it high on purpose (per Jobs: sales are fine, and this price reduction isn't to meet projections).

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Had to add a poll because there are some people who have mentioned using their iPhone discreetly when they first got it.

I'd be curious to see who kind of kept it on the downlow and who showed it off.

Lets say friends and family don't count. But showing it off to co-workers, chicks/dudes at a bar, random people on the bus, etc etc..

lci3341

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Had to add a poll because there are some people who have mentioned using their iPhone discreetly when they first got it.

I'd be curious to see who kind of kept it on the downlow and who showed it off.

Lets say friends and family don't count. But showing it off to co-workers, chicks/dudes at a bar, random people on the bus, etc etc..
I didn't even tell my brother at first because i didn't want him to over react! LOL

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007

I agree.. I didn't get my iPhone to be separate from the pack, I got it because I thought it was a amazing device. some of these people who post those reasons are out of their mind. just because you got an iPhone does not make you any more cooler. yes people will be aweing it, but only for a while.