I'm very concerned about the battery life.

toyotaisme

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
so cal
Ok so I decided it to get the new iPhone today it’s my first day using it. Battery was fully charged this morning left the house at 8:30am is now 12:10 battery is ½ gone I only make 5 or 6 calls. Check a few emails and got a couple of apps. That is. :(

kp98077

Jul 5, 2007
Ok so I decided it to get the new iPhone today it’s my first day using it. Battery was fully charged this morning left the house at 8:30am is now 12:10 battery is ½ gone I only make 5 or 6 calls. Check a few emails and got a couple of apps. That is. :(

I am in the same situation! I don't know why the battery life is not good..I have 3g on and I am not sure if it is better to turn off when not needing it? I have blue tooth on all the time so I can use in my car. Thats it, not too much calling or emailing, but fully charged each day and by 5 or 6pm is about dead! My last iPhone didn't do this.. any suggestions?

BaLLi5t1c

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
I'm not sure exactly how much strain having Bluetooth enabled will put on your battery but it's always good practice to disable it when it's not in use. That could possibly alleviate some of your drainage woes. The same will undoubtedly apply to 3G as well. I haven't received mine yet but I have planned accordingly. I'm getting an adapter that will plug into the wall, car charger, and usb port (granted, I think the USB cable is still required). That way I can charge it on my way to work, at work, on lunch, going home from work and anywhere in between. I know it's not going to be the most convenient but when I first got my BB Curve and used all of the available apps and IM solutions, I definitely taxed it just as bad as I expect my iPhone will be taxed with normal use.

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
I am in the same situation! I don't know why the battery life is not good..I have 3g on and I am not sure if it is better to turn off when not needing it? I have blue tooth on all the time so I can use in my car. Thats it, not too much calling or emailing, but fully charged each day and by 5 or 6pm is about dead! My last iPhone didn't do this.. any suggestions?
I've noticed w/ all my phones the battery life sucks kinda at first then it seems to get better the more I use it. Might be just me though.

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
my 1st gen iPhone is like that. By 5 or 6, I have barely have any battery left. If the 3g is like that then I'm alright with it because I am used to it, but if it is worse then I don't see myself getting it.

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
my 1st gen iPhone is like that. By 5 or 6, I have barely have any battery left. If the 3g is like that then I'm alright with it because I am used to it, but if it is worse then I don't see myself getting it.
So i guess most people would agree that a car charger would be a good purchase huh haha.

toyotaisme

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
so cal
Update after 5 1/2 hrs. 20% battery came on. On my 1st generation I would not get that until about 10 or 11 at night.(7 more hrs of use) same type of use that I been doing with my 1st generation iPhone. I try again but if is this bad I will be reactivation my 1st generation iPhone and taking iPhone 3G back :oops:

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
Have you gave it a really GOOD first charge? Like charged it past when it said it was full like an over-night charge. Sometimes when I just charge it till it says its full I don't get as good as a result as if I charge it overnight

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I would give it a week's-worth of full charge cycles (let it drain fully or nearly fully then immediate charge it fully without interruption) before I cast judgment.

Zachary Vex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Minneapolis
I don't remember my v1 having battery issues at first. Maybe it had shorter battery life, but after using non-stop since the first release day last year, it has never died on me even if I've forgotten to charge it for a day. I never keep track of hourly usage... what's important to me is that it never dies.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
is there a way to check % of battery left?

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
i hate guestimating.
What a shame. Is there an application o.O?
Thatd be cool

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I waiting for the Morphie Juice pak to unveil its charger case for the 3G (its in the works), the iPhone slips into it and its supposed to give an extra 8 or 10 hours of battery time to the phone...hopefully it will be out soon.

Heres the link for the iPhone version 1 only
http://www.mophie.com/products/juice-pack/?pod=iPhone

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
if you are on an exchange server that is OTA or for that matter Mobile Me. You will see a marked difference in battery life as the phone will be sending and receiving more frequently. 3g uses more juice plain and simple. I personally think this is the major reason for the screen being less vibrant.

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
turning off the 3g at work makes my office phone buzz... i turn it back on and the buzzing goes away. hah.. even still, with or without the 3g on, my signal strings (bars) are 1. yeah.. "1"

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
Here are the "official" Apple iPhone 3G Battery Saving Tips.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Folks, my battery life on my v1 phone has gone way down since the firmware 2.0 update. Before the update I could go all day on a single charge. Now I can get about halfway through the day or a little more before needing to charge up.

What changed for me?

1) I now have Push email delivery with firmware 2.0. I have push enabled for both my Mobile Me and Exchange for work. I get lots of email throughout the day, so this is a big hit. If you don't need push (I do), disable it.

2) Starting July 1st in my home state it because illegal to drive and talk on the cell phone without a headset. So, with firmware 2.0 I've been using my Jawbone. If you're not using bluetooth, disable it.

Since these two changes (having push email and bluetooth active) my phones battery is dying almost twice as fast. Now, couple that with the additional power requirements for 3G and those who were used to iPhone v1 and firmware 1.x are going to notice a huge difference in the battery life.

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
so then why was 2.0 released if it clearly is terrible? will there be a fix for this?

i am a new iPhone owner but i find it odd that software updates kill the battery life in comparison to before the update.