iMac 27" or Mac book pro 15"

Marting

Nov 26, 2011
Some some stole my Mac book pro 13" that I got a year and a half ago. Looking to replace it but cant decide. Any opinions. All I do is surf, stream, use it with office and aperture for editing picture. Anything will help.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yeah, the big question here is if you need it to be portable. If yes, go with the MacBook. If not, go with the iMac.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'd go with the MBP. I got my first Mac one year ago and went with the mid-level 15" MBP over the iMac. My WindowsXP machine was on it's way out fast and I had a decent 22" monitor. Not as good as the iMac monitor, and quite a bit smaller the 27" version, but it suffices for me. I got the Apple USB keyboard and Magic Trackpad and mainly use my MBP docked to a desktop setup. If I need to I can quickly unplug a few cables and walk out the door with it in my backpack. Maybe you can get Santa to bring you an Apple Thunderbolt Display to dock yours with ;)

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I'd go with the MBP. I got my first Mac one year ago and went with the mid-level 15" MBP over the iMac. My WindowsXP machine was on it's way out fast and I had a decent 22" monitor. Not as good as the iMac monitor, and quite a bit smaller the 27" version, but it suffices for me. I got the Apple USB keyboard and Magic Trackpad and mainly use my MBP docked to a desktop setup. If I need to I can quickly unplug a few cables and walk out the door with it in my backpack. Maybe you can get Santa to bring you an Apple Thunderbolt Display to dock yours with ;)
^^Probably the best of all worlds right there.

Again, just depends whether the OP wants to or needs to be mobile with the computer. Those 27" i7 iMacs are pretty nice! I have an older 24# iMac and a 2011 15" MBP with SSD...love both. Will be upgrading my iMac on the next refresh. Of course everything also depends on your budget and how much money you want to donate to Apple!