IMac i7 processor worth it

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Alcookie, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Alcookie

Alcookie New Member

Massive apologies if this has been asked before. Im moving to uni in a few months and was hoping to invest in an iMac. Ill be heavily working in the music and film industry's and occasionally using it for games. Is the i7 worth the extra cost for my needs? I was planning on getting increased RAM also.

Thanks in advance.

2. offroadhunter

offroadhunter Member
    Silver

What alternatives are you considering? That chip is smoking fast.

3. Alcookie

Alcookie New Member

Not really considering any alternatives other than spend the extra cash for the i7 or save a bit and settle with the i5, just wondered how much of a difference there was between the two.

4. genuinegraphics

genuinegraphics New Member

I don't really think you'd need a i7 Universities them selves use the 21" i3 which is more than enough and is fast as it is. The i7 would be super fast the spec for that 27" is just amazing but it's not really worth putting the money into it just yet you'd rather be better off with the i3 or i5.

Don't forget the student discount from Apple the 21" that costs £1020 would cost you around £890

5. Bryman

Bryman Member
    Bronze

the i7 isbetter alson in terms of power consumption, it uses less.........its also new technology as opposed to the i5 which is slightly older and not as future proof...if your gonna do any film or photo editing id get the i7 its faster, cooler, uses less power, and amazing!

6. Alcookie

Alcookie New Member

Hi thanks for the replies. Ill be working mainly with film editing (using professional cameras) but also heavily in sound production.

7. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

I have the iMac 27 inch with the i5 (this is the model before the most recent refresh) and I do video editing quite a bit on it. It's extremely fast and snappy with exporting, converting, importing, rendering, etc. all the video. Going forward, I wouldn't hesitate about spending the extra money for the i7. Go for it if you can!

8. Alcookie

Alcookie New Member

Hi guys thanks for the reply, ive realised that with student discount i can get the i7 and itll still cost me around £1600

9. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

i7 is what I got in my sons computer ... I specified it for video editing. Now I also thing a sata drive is a must but that can be added on later.

10. one1

one1 Member
    Bronze

Long as it isn't a 2011 it can. I'm overjoyed to have bought last years iMac 27" Quad because of the news that the hard drives are no longer user replaceable in any way thanks to the handshake code between the factory hard drive and the motherboard. (Way to tighten that grip, Apple!)

Whether or not you NEED an i7 is really a question based on whether or not you need an iMac in general since if you need the power of the i7, you probably need a Mac Pro anyway. If you don't "need" the i7, then get it based on the fact that more is better. My i5 Quad more than enough power. I tested it when I bought it by opening every application on the computer and running the iChat video mode talking to a friend..... it never stuttered one time.

11. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

I would go for the i7 rather then get the computer and 2 months down the road your like hmm wish I would of got the i7 instead of settling for the i5. Those are questions you need to ask yourself though. Goodluck

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yeah, but didn't you return a defective set of earbuds and get the i7 iMac in exchange?

:D :D :D

j/k!

13. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Lmao!
    I just got the new iMac with the i5 quad and it effin screams. Went from converting a movie in 90 mins to 22 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

14. computerfox

computerfox Zealot
    Gold

what you have to consider is:

1) will you actually use all that processing power? i have a core 2 duo and it's just fine for my programming and web design.
    2) do you edit video or music that you need a strong processor?
    3) do you play a lot of high graphics games?
    4) are you getting it just because it's fast or because you really need it?
    5) and of course, does it fit into your budget?

15. Emlguerr

Emlguerr New Member

16. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I don't have a mac, but I did get my Lenovo laptop with the i7 in it when the i7 first came out (before sandy bridge and new incarnations), and now that my laptop is a year old, it's still screaming and still as fast as anything new I have seen people purchase in the past 2 months.
    The i7 is worth it if you plan on keeping your iMac for a good long while (and considering the cost of an iMac, I'd say it's worth it)

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Keep it civil, please. Thanks.

18. furndaddy

furndaddy Contributor
    Bronze

Ditto. I've got the i7 in my Sony VAIO and it's beyond fast!