iMac keeps freezing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Acre56, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Acre56

Acre56 Member
    Bronze

Have had a new imac since last October. Yesterday was working on it and it just froze with spinning wheel. Powered down and restarted and after a few minutes did same. After powering down sometimes it freezes on the startup screen
    Any ideas?

Sent using iCafe app

2. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

What programs have you installed recently? How much RAM is installed? 16GB has been known to cause instability in some models.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

And also, did any of your recently installed apps not originate from the official Map App Store?

I'm not saying that downloading apps from places other than the Mac App Store is necessarily risky; there are tons of innocuous sites you can download and install apps from.

Where do you allow app downloads from? The safer options are, as you would expect, "Mac App Store" and "Mac App Store and identified developers"...

I obviously can't say that you having used one of the less safe options is causing your freezes (notice I have the last safe option selected and I've had no issues), and @rambo47 's information is just as likely to be causing these freeze-ups on your system, but just wanted to share this info with you...
    safe.jpg