iMac with built in WiFi use with iPhone?

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
I plan on getting an iMac in about a month and in researching it, I see it has the Airport Extreme built in. My question is, will I need anything else to get wifi from the Mac to my iPhone? I am completely new to this, it will be my first foray into wifi in my home. I also have a PS3 which is wifi ready as well. Thanks.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
My brother has an iMac and i turned on the airport in it and it does infact provide wi-fi. I think there are certain conditions though so that wi-fi is always running as sometimes my phone couldn't find it. Sometimes my brothers computer would be asleep and i wouldn't get the wi-fi. Maybe he turned it off and i'm wrong, but its just something to keep in mind.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
Thank you. I hope there is a way to keep it turned on so my iPhone can always find it. I will check with an Apple genius when I get it.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Thank you. I hope there is a way to keep it turned on so my iPhone can always find it. I will check with an Apple genius when I get it.
Just keep in mind that it may have very well been that my brother had turned the computer off. But it would definently be annoying if the wi-fi only worked if the computer was not in sleep mode and then inorder to have continuous wi-fi you'd be wasting electricity with a computer thats always running. I feel that it probably still emits the signal even in sleep mode, but investigate and let me know too. Oh and the new iMac is incredible. You definently get your moneys worth in my opinion.

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City
Your wi-fi connection doesn't come from the computer, it comes from the airport (wireless router). You can set the Airport to shut down connections when you turn off the computer, or you can leave it on at all times. You are also able to set it to only recognize your specific device. This is better for security reasons. I also just got a new iMac. Upgraded from an older G4 powerbook. Its a great machine.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Your wi-fi connection doesn't come from the computer, it comes from the airport (wireless router). You can set the Airport to shut down connections when you turn off the computer, or you can leave it on at all times. You are also able to set it to only recognize your specific device. This is better for security reasons. I also just got a new iMac. Upgraded from an older G4 powerbook. Its a great machine.
Yeah i knew the wi-fi didn't come from the computer, but it doesn't have to be a wireless router. It can take the internet from the ethernet plug in and create wi-fi.