IMAP IDLE: Why Yahoo's iPhone Push System Isn't Working

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

danielrm26

Jul 1, 2007
I've just completed a short write-up on the IMAP IDLE command, which is the system that Yahoo! is using to "push" email to our iPhones. This should answer some questions. Here are a couple of key excerpts:

IDLE is not -- according to my definition above -- a true push technology. IDLE actually requires an active connection in order to work, and that connection cannot be initiated by the server.
This is why so many people are reporting issues with Yahoo!'s iPhone push implementation. Users in various forums are reporting erratic delivery performance -- sometimes getting messages quickly, and other times needing to manually connect. The reason for this is simple: if an active, healthy IMAP connection is not in place at the moment a new message arrives on the server, the server will not be able to send anything to the client. Once that connection has been disrupted, the client has to restart the process by starting a new connection to the server.
Link: An Introduction To The IMAP IDLE Command

datafirm

Jul 3, 2007
IMAP IDLE and Dovecot

I still don't see IDLE connections to my Dovecot IMAP server. This has worked with other mobile phones (E60) and mail clients. I know there is no issue with the mail server, but the iPhone just connects and disconnects, it makes no attempt to send the IDLE command.

I do not get many issues with Yahoo! and the IDLE command though.

Any ideas?

danielrm26

Jul 1, 2007
I don't currently have my main firewall up and running other wise I'd have already tried this, but I'd like to connect via my home WiFi and watch a Yahoo! account in action.

It'd be interesting to compare what happens when the iPhone connects to our personal Linux IMAP servers vs. what happens with the Yahoo! server. This way we could see who was doing what, you know?

That's my next step -- once I get my real firewall back up. If you can do so first, do post your results so we can see what you find.

datafirm

Jul 3, 2007
I don't currently have my main firewall up and running other wise I'd have already tried this, but I'd like to connect via my home WiFi and watch a Yahoo! account in action.

It'd be interesting to compare what happens when the iPhone connects to our personal Linux IMAP servers vs. what happens with the Yahoo! server. This way we could see who was doing what, you know?

That's my next step -- once I get my real firewall back up. If you can do so first, do post your results so we can see what you find.
Any progress?

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007
I look at it this way. Normally you have to pay for IMAP with Yahoo! Mail anyway, so having it as part of iPhone ownership is nice. I delete a message on the phone, and it deletes it on the server. Everything is matched up, maybe not true push, but that is fine with me.

camtheram

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Colorado
I just signed up for Yahoo's personal address service. The service is pretty much integrated into Yahoo! Mail but do you think I will be able to send from my personalized address using iPhone?