IMAP Problems... Really Desperate for Help

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I posted this in the Mac forum, but 24 hours and no response... thought I'd post it here.

It's a problem with my new Mac Pro AND my iPhone... and I discovered today jumping through Apple's Tech-Support hoops that it exists on my MacBook also! This is NOT a problem with the server or my ISP... I can set it up in Outlook express and get it to work in about 30 seconds.

The Problem:

I can receive mail fine but I cannot send mail. I keep getting "connection failed" type messages. I'm using port 587 (its how the server is set up), and authentication (password). No SSL. I'm sure everything is entered right. I got it to work lickety split with outlook express but I just can't seem to get it to work in mail.app -- either on the iPhone or Mac pro.

I've tried deleting the account and setting them up again. I've tried deleting the outgoing server in server list (on mac pro) and putting it back in manually. I've tried with SSL and without (just to be sure). I've tried on different Macs. HELP! LOL

Ideas? I need a true mac genius...

(and yes, i know about using my isp's outgoing server on my home pc, or AT&T's on the iPhone, but i have my own server and domain and really would like to sent from my own mail server -- I've also had delay problems with my ISP mail, and I also want to be able to store sent messages properly)

htech

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
In the iPhone mail settings do you have the sending server name, username and password filled out? Also since you are using a weird port I think you will have to specify it since it's not 25. in the server settings try. mail.domain.com:587 to force it to use that port.

I posted this in the Mac forum, but 24 hours and no response... thought I'd post it here.

It's a problem with my new Mac Pro AND my iPhone... and I discovered today jumping through Apple's Tech-Support hoops that it exists on my MacBook also! This is NOT a problem with the server or my ISP... I can set it up in Outlook express and get it to work in about 30 seconds.

The Problem:

I can receive mail fine but I cannot send mail. I keep getting "connection failed" type messages. I'm using port 587 (its how the server is set up), and authentication (password). No SSL. I'm sure everything is entered right. I got it to work lickety split with outlook express but I just can't seem to get it to work in mail.app -- either on the iPhone or Mac pro.

I've tried deleting the account and setting them up again. I've tried deleting the outgoing server in server list (on mac pro) and putting it back in manually. I've tried with SSL and without (just to be sure). I've tried on different Macs. HELP! LOL

Ideas? I need a true mac genius...

(and yes, i know about using my isp's outgoing server on my home pc, or AT&T's on the iPhone, but i have my own server and domain and really would like to sent from my own mail server -- I've also had delay problems with my ISP mail, and I also want to be able to store sent messages properly)

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
In the iPhone mail settings do you have the sending server name, username and password filled out? Also since you are using a weird port I think you will have to specify it since it's not 25. in the server settings try. mail.domain.com:587 to force it to use that port.
Yup, I have it all set up right, including the port part. It's not just an iPhone problem, but a Mail.app (Mail on Mac) problem too. I've got a guy at Apple Discussions trying to help, and tech support at Apple is baffled but trying to help. Everyone is stumped. It SHOULD work. It works on Outlook Express and Thunderbird fine... I just can't get IMAP mail to send through this account using Apple's Mail.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Yup, I have it all set up right, including the port part. It's not just an iPhone problem, but a Mail.app (Mail on Mac) problem too. I've got a guy at Apple Discussions trying to help, and tech support at Apple is baffled but trying to help. Everyone is stumped. It SHOULD work. It works on Outlook Express and Thunderbird fine... I just can't get IMAP mail to send through this account using Apple's Mail.
Is port 587 open in the firewall?

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Is port 587 open in the firewall?
Port 587 is a standard outgoing mail port. I don't need to open it on my firewall. If I did, I wouldn't be able to send using Outlook Express or Thunderbird.

I've narrowed it down to an authentication problem (with a whole series of testing, monitoring and digging through log files)... the actual details of the problem are what remain a mystery for now.