iMapIdle: SIMulated push email with any IMAP service.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Huh. I can't believe no one has posted this yet.

This new app showed up on my installer today, but it's been around for at least a week: iMapIdle.

It simulates push email with your IMAP email account. Works very well with Gmail. I get my email on my iPhone faster than I do on the internet.

http://iPhone.rustyredwagon.com/

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Huh. I can't believe no one has posted this yet.

This new app showed up on my installer today, but it's been around for at least a week: iMapIdle.

It simulates push email with your IMAP email account. Works very well with Gmail. I get my email on my iPhone faster than I do on the internet.

http://iPhone.rustyredwagon.com/
I saw it last night. I wonder how bad it is for your batteries though.
How does that work anyway? I'm not sure I understand

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
ok i just tried it out. Here is the situation.
I use izymail.com to receive my hotmail emails on the iPhone. As you know, hotmail won't let you do it directly so i have to use izymail, which kinda redirect emails.
So i installed the app and got it configured and sent a few test emails and ... nothing. I mean, my email came up after 15 minutes (i set up the phone to check for emails every 15 min).
So i uninstalled the app.
Anyone else uses izymail?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I haven't used izymail. Sorry. But I tellz* ya, it's frikkin' awesome on gmail.

So far the battery life is fine. From the reading I've found on the web, it doesn't really affect battery life that much.

*Sorry, couldn't resist the 'z'. LOL

locklin

Sep 10, 2007
Works great on GMail, no more than 10 secs after the email arrives on gmail's inbox I get the message from the app.

pierce the veil

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
works amazing with gmail, but the only thing is, i cannot get the sound to work, and also when i hit "check" it does the same thing as dismiss. anyway to fix this?

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
FYI.

Gmail settings.

IMAP Server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
Username: yourusername@gmail.com
Password: duh.typeyourpassword
SSL: On
I have IMAP gmail set up on my iPhone. I did the exact same settings for iMap IDLE but the mail takes a while to show up. What is your settings under the regular settings<mail<auto-check? Do you have it set to Manual auto-check? Or 15 minutes?

ebp2kEM1

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
Wow - this is nice. I can't wait until this functionality is added to the mail program itself.

I didn't know gmail supported the idle command.... interesting.

EDIT - there may have been an update to the program - i just installed it 5 minutes ago - but clicking "check" seems to tell the mail program to check your account and grab the message. Ive ran three tests and so far so good.

EDIT 2 - so it seems that new emails trigger this program - but if your email turns into a conversation, the new replies do not trigger it... any one else experience this?

Aug 21, 2007
I have IMAP gmail set up on my iPhone. I did the exact same settings for iMap IDLE but the mail takes a while to show up. What is your settings under the regular settings<mail<auto-check? Do you have it set to Manual auto-check? Or 15 minutes?
I've seen the same thing above. I get the message that I have an email but the email does not show up until the email app goes out and checks for new mails

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
This program worked great for me on 1.1.2. However for me it drastically decreased battery life. I mean, I wouldn't be doing anything and my battery would drop considerably. I have since uninstalled it and my battery life is back to normal.

I'm hoping development continues on this because it was an awesome program and I definitely look forward to using it in the future.

Jul 21, 2007
In regards to battery life - I believe I read that this app. does much better when not using Wifi. You might want to try a test. Use the app. away from home (assuming that you have wifi at home) and see if battery life is better.

As far as the check button - it still doesn't do anything. I know it says it's supposed to force the mail app to fetch the new mail but the only way mine starts the mail retrieval process is if I open the mail app.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
i had mine to check every 30 seconds and it kills my battery life. i had 75% after about 4 hours on standby and it said 3.5 hours of usage. the app doesn't even check the mail in mail.app, it just tells me i have mail and then i have to go check it. the drain on battery life is enough for me to stay away for now. i wish Apple would implement something like RIMM does with the blackberry. but right now they don't seem concerned with adding many useful features. hopefully when the SDK is released we will see some wonderful additions to the iPhone.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
As far as the check button - it still doesn't do anything. I know it says it's supposed to force the mail app to fetch the new mail but the only way mine starts the mail retrieval process is if I open the mail app.
Besides the possible battery drain the inability to actually retrieve email with this app makes it virtually unusable for me. It doesn't do me much good to be told I have mail but not from whom, or anything else about the email.

In any event I think we'd need something that can use SMS as the trigger for new mail in order to have non-battery-draining push, or semi-push, email on the iPhone (that works reliably, unlike Yahoo).

BTW: I didn't install this app the last time I restored (running 1.1.2), but when I did have it installed (1.1.2 too) I noticed it would disable itself on its own.

--
Mike

Aug 21, 2007
This application would "kind of work for me" meaning that I would sometimes get a notification from this app that I have a message, but it would not be put into my inbox.

I was fiddling around with my settings this morning and I realize that the email account I set up in iPhone mail app is set as a POP account. could this be the problem?

What do I have to do to get emails put directly into the native mail app? Do i need another mail app?

Thank you

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Anyone else having the problem with iMapIdle simply turning itself off? I will turn on the activate button, click save and then next time I check the program after not receiving any email its off?