IMEI Number wanted?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by ant7701, Oct 21, 2014.

1. ant7701

ant7701 Member
    Bronze

Hi guys. I'm trying to sell my older iPhone 5S on Craigslist and someone that is interested wants to see the IMEI number. I'm assuming so he can see it's not stolen. Is there anything bad that can happen by sending him my IMEI number?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

3. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I wouldn't give it out. If they want to see that the IMEI is clean, show them when you meet them (assuming you're using Craigslist). Don't ever give it out online...

When dealing in eBay and using PayPal, both buyer and seller have automatic fraud protection, so no need to prove anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Bmichael78

Bmichael78 New Member

I gave mine out to a potential buyer, he checked it and got back to me within 20 minutes and bought the phone. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think he just wants to check the unlock status, but it's remotely possible that they could use that I information maliciously. I would send them a screenshot of an service from an alternate carrier in the upper left corner and the congratulations screen you get in iTunes when you unlock. If that wasn't good enough, I'd wait for the next buyer. I've had no problem selling unlocked iPhones on Craigslist and I never provide my IMEI over email.

6. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I meet one of the buyers at a T-Mobile store last week and they put a T-Mobile SIM in to show the buyer that it was carrier unlocked. Offer this instead of providing the IMEI.

7. Nascarrace2020

Nascarrace2020 New Member

Never give it out no telling what the buyer could do u know what I mean!!

8. alicepattinson

Bronze

It has no problem you can show them if your iphone is really clean. :)

9. Ken Londri

Ken Londri New Member

If he wants to check your phone's status it goin, to be the IMEI he will be needing.

10. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

If you sell on Swappa you must enter the IMEI so Swappa can verify the ohine's status before they approve your listing. The listing doesn't divulge the actual IMEI, bit it does say "clean IMEI" so the buyer knows he's not being hosed.