IMEI Number wanted?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ant7701

Bronze
Mar 5, 2009
Hi guys. I'm trying to sell my older iPhone 5S on Craigslist and someone that is interested wants to see the IMEI number. I'm assuming so he can see it's not stolen. Is there anything bad that can happen by sending him my IMEI number?

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I wouldn't give it out. If they want to see that the IMEI is clean, show them when you meet them (assuming you're using Craigslist). Don't ever give it out online...

When dealing in eBay and using PayPal, both buyer and seller have automatic fraud protection, so no need to prove anything.

Feb 3, 2014
I gave mine out to a potential buyer, he checked it and got back to me within 20 minutes and bought the phone. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think he just wants to check the unlock status, but it's remotely possible that they could use that I information maliciously. I would send them a screenshot of an service from an alternate carrier in the upper left corner and the congratulations screen you get in iTunes when you unlock. If that wasn't good enough, I'd wait for the next buyer. I've had no problem selling unlocked iPhones on Craigslist and I never provide my IMEI over email.

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
If you sell on Swappa you must enter the IMEI so Swappa can verify the ohine's status before they approve your listing. The listing doesn't divulge the actual IMEI, bit it does say "clean IMEI" so the buyer knows he's not being hosed.