IMEI Numbers/Class Action Lawsuit Anyone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Akshayt

Oct 8, 2007
I purchased two iPhones for my businesss, one for me and another for an assoicate. I upgraded mine to 1.1.1, called my associate and his phone froze. I kept getting a SIMS card error message on his phone. While attempting to sync his phone, I iTunes allowed me to download 1.1.1 to his phone, after which his phone continued to give me a SIMS card error message. While troubleshooting, I found that the IMEI number had changed.

We visited the Apple store locally and were told to go to AT&T, get a new SIMS card and activate the new card. If that failed, we were told to come back and they would swap out the phone.

We did get the new SIMS card. AT&T could not activate it and when we went back to the Apple store we were told that we had attempted to unlock the phone/downloaded something so they could not help us.

We have a two year contract with AT&T, are simple users of the phone and have no interest hacking/esoteric downloads/going to another carrier. Something simply happened to the software while downloading 1.1.1.

Apple is not helping; AT&T cannot help. Any suggestions anyone, other than a class action law suit?

There must be many others this is happening to with some variation. As an attorney, my thoughts turn to a lawsuit rather than counless hours dealing with Customer Service Reps. who don't want to be helpful.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Last I remember IMEI numbers cannot be changed.... IMEI numbers replaced the old ESN scheme due to the number of mobile devices on the market. ESN number pretty much reached their limit where as IMEI numbers have a lot more combinations. But far as the issue with your phone/friends phone, this is the first I've ever heard of a problem like this.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Credit Card

Did you purchase your iPhones with your credit card? If so, call up your CC company and dispute the charge. Tell them the phones are faulty and the manufacturer will not help.

If you genuinely did not unlock your phone (sounds like you didn't), then you have rights. It would be stupid for Apple to think that you are trying to unlock the phone WHEN you purchased a new plan through AT&T.

Apple store reps are no different to the turds you see at the likes of Best Buy etc. They have no idea as to the product they are selling. Even the people at the genius bar are useless. Many times I have to tell them how something works. Go figure.

Call the CC company ASAP. Take no prisoners.

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Sorry about your problem. I haven't heard of that happening and it sucks.

However, I would rather you spend hours with Customer Service then spending my tax dollars with a lawsuit.

Just my two cents.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Best Solution:

Return them for Blackberries.

--

I know you're new around in these parts, but this is just a friendly FYI, us regulars are dead tired of seeing the words "Class Action Lawsuit."

I know you're upset, but you really need to understand that the end doesn't justify the means in your situation.

Maahu

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
There must be many others this is happening to with some variation. As an attorney, my thoughts turn to a lawsuit rather than counless hours dealing with Customer Service Reps. who don't want to be helpful.
Just for kicks, let's try to count hours.

I'll bet you can get an answer out of Apple customer support in less than 8 hours.

Now, what's it going to take for you to identify your plaintiffs, certify them as a class, notify everyone potentially falling under that class, file your suit, taking depositions, go to court, and ultimately get hung out to dry?

Come on, are you really an attorney?

Yeah right. Puhleez.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Just for kicks, let's try to count hours.

I'll bet you can get an answer out of Apple customer support in less than 8 hours.

Now, what's it going to take for you to identify your plaintiffs, certify them as a class, notify everyone potentially falling under that class, file your suit, taking depositions, go to court, and ultimately get hung out to dry?

Come on, are you really an attorney?

Yeah right. Puhleez.
I'm not, but I do play one on TV